FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 06:50:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Handbrake problem  (Read 5624 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2007, 08:06:54 AM »

The one thing that went wrong on the trip back from London was the handbrake came loose.

Jacked it up and checked everything - wheels off etc even though I found the tension bar (I call it that, its the bar the cable from the handbrake comes to and also the clevis pin? not sure) had come off. I just wanted to check the brakes etc. out while I had the chance.

Anyway, at the passenger side the end of this bar looks a bit like a bent finger and it sits in a bracket bolted to the underside - I have a pic of what it was like when I collected the car, I took about 25 photos of all angles under the ute. You can see where the bar goes into the bracket, well I put it all back in place, connected the cable back onto the handbrake itself and it all worked. I went out this evening (yes I am 9 hours behind you guys) and when I released the handbrake the bar came out again.

Is there a pin or something else I am missing to sit this back in correctly? Or is there something inherently odd to make it keep doing this?

Thanks again for the advice!

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:15:20 AM »

That all looks normal, is the handbrake adjusted correctly?
If you leave the car out of gear does the handbrake work properly?

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:58:02 AM »

It looks normal as it was working then. During the trip when I pulled it I heard a clunk and the cable went slack. I put it back on as per the photo and it worked but when I relaeased it it fell off again - weird.....

It was properly connected and well adjusted.

Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
craiga
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »

From the picture the front handbrake cable looks to be stretched/wrongly adjusted causing the horizontal lever to be at the wrong angle, leading to the lever coming adrift where the finger area retains it in the slotted area of the handbrake mount.

How far does the handbrake come out of the dash? It should only move about 5-10 clicks. Process is to disconnect the rear/front cables, adjust the rear handbrake lever position inside the rear brake area (drums off), reconnect the front/rear cables and adjust front cable to obtain correct handbrake operation at dash. If you can't set it up using this method then the cables are most likely stretched. If this is the case you can buy a small fitting that reduces cable length, possibly a better option as you won't be able to duck down to the local auto parts shop and pick up a new one  Grin

Cheers,

Craig
craiga
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »

blew the picture up and possibly the end of the lever is worn, causing it to jump out?

craiga
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 10:26:41 AM »

The lever is on backwards  Tongue

Turn it around so the indent on the cross lever is facing the rear. It still looks worn on the end though, as shown in the last picture I posted.

Once you've turned it around adjust the hanbrake system and it should be OK.

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

Yep , the long lever should be turned the other way
Seb.

Yellow Knight

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »

Well spotted Craig, just shows how much time I spend under my car  Roll Eyes

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »

good work there Craig, I looked at it for a long time but hadnt noticed it was arse about.

I just stick my wagon in "P" normally.

in the shed
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 10:00:43 PM »

Yep, thought it looked funny. I'll add my 2 bobs worth.
BTW, like your ute.
Colin.

colt
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:27:15 AM »

OK - thanks guys. I will try the reversing and see if all goes well before going any further. I have a couple of manuals but they don't have any pics of the fc handbrake.

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »

Sorted.

Took 15 minutes and while I was at it I adjusted it up a bit as you had tyo pull all the way out to get it to bite.

Thanks for the tips.

(backwards - wonder was that the pom?)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: