FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 01:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC lowering  (Read 9347 times)
tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:51:16 AM »

G'day all this has probably been asked already by someone else but here goes.I plan to lower Clarabell by one and a half inches and put ROH jelly bean mags on her 6x14 front & 7x14 rear has any one had clearance problems with similar combo's?

This would settle an argument can a red motor twin carb manifold  fit a grey motor apart from the differences between the two I always thought no otherwise company's like speco would have it in their catalogue, can they be modified? again I reckon no but I don't mind being proved wrong.Cheers Tommo
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:40:59 AM »

No. Manifolds are not interchangeable. You may have problems trying to fit 7 x 14.
Colin.

colt
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »

Depends how far you want to lower it, you won't get 14x7's on the front, but should have no problems with the rear.

tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:43:34 AM »

I bought the set a few months back already split between the two sizes the original sets where broken up for a bloke with an FJ.
I don't plan to go lower than an inch and a half as I might have problems with the Motor Vechile Registry. lowering blocks are legal up here but that depends on the  registry person on the day from the feed back I have got from other people that have had to put there cars back to stock height.Tommo
TAYZ
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 12:23:54 PM »

An angle grinder for front springs and BIG lowering blocks for your rear will be yr best friend Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »

Thanks Colin I knew I was right. Tayz sounds good but I still gotta turn corners but they do look so good droped right down with a nice set of rims Grin Grin Grin Cheers Tommo
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »

Tommo,

This is what I'm running on my FE Sedan:

Front.
7x14 Dragways with 185/60R Silverstone tyres.The car has been lowered 4cm and the only problem at the current height is it does touch the guard if you go into a sharp or tight corner to quickly.
Rear.
8x14 Dragways with 215/60R tyres.The only problem I had with it was the tyres did scrape quite a bit on a trip with 2 people in the back or luggage in the boot. Alfio fixed that problem by jacking the guard out 3cm,lots of clearence now. I intend bringing the rear down 4cm just to level it out a bit.I'll dig out a photo and send it to you.

Cheers Rusty  
tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »

Thanks for the info Rusty it seems I might get away with it after all.I would like to stick the widest rubber possible on the rims.Cheers Tommo
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:10:21 AM »

An angle grinder for front springs and BIG lowering blocks for your rear will be yr best friend Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Just dumped mine 2" all round with stock 13's and hub caps and it looks 5H1t hot!

plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 02:04:49 AM »

Hi Rusty_T

I am considering putting 14" HK or 13" Torana chrome wheels on my FE Ute with possibly 195 tyres.

Can you advise me if this is OK to do, or will it effect the handling and/or steering of my car.

What I have in mind after talking to TOP TYRES at Blacktown is to get the centre sections from either wheels and get them chromed.

Has the club anyone in Sydney or elsewhere that I can contact re: chroming.

Regards

John  Smiley
tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 02:34:58 AM »

Hey Nes any chance of you posting some photo's. ;DCheers Tommo
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 03:51:29 AM »

Hi Rusty_T

I am considering putting 14" HK or 13" Torana chrome wheels on my FE Ute with possibly 195 tyres.

hey John,

Send me a pm, if you're in the area (Toongabbie) you're more than welcome to come check out my FC sedan fitted with HK and HG wheels and 195's

Cheers,
Shane

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 03:52:47 AM by SRVLIVES » Logged

plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 05:11:12 AM »

Hi Shane

Thanks for the help, I live in Wilberforce and work at Miller TAFE, if convenient could I pop in one arfvo after work say around 5.30pm.

My mobile is 0407 233 258.

Regards

John   Grin
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 05:26:27 AM »

Will call you tomorrow John

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »

FWIW
My FE with a HR diff has 14x7 HK rims, custom offset with 235/60 14 Rubber, Standard lip no cutting or bending, slight rub on the driver's inner wheel well on hard left turns or deep drains.
Fronts are Std HK 14x6(?) with 195/75 14 on CRS dropped stubs/LC discs, problems with turning circle and guard clearance will see the 195s shrink to a 60 profile and LH discs.
For help with diameter comparisons go here -
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You will be able to compare original FC wheel diameter to other equivalents.

SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »

Fronts are Std HK 14x6(?)

5's if standard stinks

retro

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »

mate you can risk the inch and a half as far as im concerned, you could also go 14' but narrow rims. BUt i advise you invest in air shocks that can be pumped up when carrying passengers, it will save embarrasing scraping sounds and excess tyre cuts from gaurd edges.
bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 08:14:47 PM »

Hey Tommo,
The only trouble l can see is with jelly beans or any ally rims your stuck with the offset,where as with steelies you can get them split & the offset changed if need be.With the 6 cyl. & semi-stock susp. lowered 2" front & 1 1/2" rear  no ally rims would fit without flaring the guards,l ended up getting a set of 7" Dragway Draglites made with the same offset as the 6" fronts l think from memory they were 205/60-13 & 225/60-13 they fitted perfectly.Now l have 15" Centrelines which are 5.5" & 195/50-15 tyres on the front & 8" rims with 235/60-15's on the back which is really pushing the envelope in stock guards(apart from rolled lips) As stinky said there is slight rubbing on the inside & if l give it a fair squirt there is also a slight mark on the outside.One day l will give them a little internal "massaging".
 Thats the only plus with a 9" conversion or similar,l had the wheels up under the guards & got the housing narrowed to suit. although with little room for error l must have measured it about 600 times!!!!!( and l was crapping myself until the wheels were on & fitted properly!)  Daz.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
oldcrusty72

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »

Hi guys,
my experience is limited to my EH but if you are using a HR front end on any of your projects then using HQ stub axles will lower the front about 1 1/2 inches without cutting springs. Also i had 14x7 steel rims front and rear, with 205-60/14 FR and 245-50/14 rears. The back was a tight fit, and i ended up having to use a 1" swaybar and air shox to stop the tire rub when cornering. Apart from that i didn't have to roll or flare the guards at all.
Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: