FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 23, 2024, 09:30:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Which Harmonic Balancer  (Read 2863 times)
katesmith007

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »

Hi, I have a 202 red motor block and a blue motor crank.  I went to buy a harmonic balancer the other day for it, but the part numbers are different.  The crank diameters, oil seal diameters, overall diameters and balancer lengths are the same, but I'm told the timing marks may be different.  If so, are the keyways in the cranks different?  Or are the timing marks on the blocks different?  

Which Harmonic Balancer do I use?  Blue to suit the crank or red to suit the block?
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:44:51 AM »

Hi Guys.

The whole red/blue, balancer/crank thing is a bit complicated.

Firstly, there are 2 different positions for the zero timing mark, this depends on the timing case. The red timing cases (& the early blue ones) have their tags in a different spot & they have only 8 degrees marked. The later ones have 12 degrees marked.

Also the blue 202s, with the counterweighted crank, have a balancer with a heavier pulley, the rear rim of the pulley is thicker.

So, to answer your question, you are better off getting a late timing case (12 degree) and using the later balancer if you want to use a counterweighted 202 blue crank.

An early 202 blue (8 degree) balancer or a blue (12 degree) 173 balancer are actually quite rare.

Have I made this simple to understand, I hope so.

Dr Terry.
katesmith007

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:40:12 AM »

Dr Terry,
             Thanks.  I think I've got it.  From what you are saying, the timing marks on the balancer match the timing cover NOT the crank (and obviously not the block).  So basically if I have a red timing cover I should use a red harmonic balancer.  If I have a blue timing cover I should use a blue harmonic balancer.
              Since the blue balancer has a heavier outer ring however, I would be better off putting a blue motor timing cover on my red block so that I can use a blue motor harmonic balancer on the fully counterweighted blue motor crank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: