FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 07:29:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Boosters and Master Cylinders  (Read 2640 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:47:54 PM »

I have currently got a LC/LJ Torana booster and Master Cylinder fitted up to the FE Sedan, the problem is a slow persistant fluid leak from the Master Cylinder.
To date I have not been able to pinpoint where the leak is coming from, only that the rear reservior loses fluid.
In anticipation of taking it to a brake shop, are there any other booster/master combos that I might want to look at instead, that will fit where the Torana gear currently is?

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 04:57:48 AM »

Stinky, the Torana master cylinder is 1 inch bore as are all the H model Holdens and Commodores, so any master cylinder will be OK on your car.  Differences occur with the thread sizes on the pipes as well as the later Commodore masters having built in proportioning valves.
I would suggest getting a new Torana master cylinder the same as what you have got and you will fix the problem for good, rather than trying more second habd ones.

Ken
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 04:37:41 AM »

A couple of months later ...........

I took the FE for a pre-Rego inspection drive today with a few hard braking stop thrown in. Once stopped I got out of the car and started looking around the master cylinder for the leak.
It seems to be coming from a small bolt in the bottom of the master cylinder.
Only the rear resevoir is losing fluid, would this be the case if that bolt is leaking?
What sort of washer should be used? Fibre or metal?

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:23:48 AM »

Hard to say without looking at the problem/photo but I'd probably fit a copper washer if the bolt is the leak problem.You could try fibre but copper is more durable.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 04:46:50 AM »

After getting a new Master, I had the old empty one sitting on the bench for a while. The problem end up being a casting fault with brake fluid seaping from a small hole in the casting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: