FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:25:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ute sills  (Read 5910 times)
Ute-opia

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2002, 12:37:07 AM »

My panel beater has been struggling with my sills which look to have been replaced.  They didn't line up with the rib on the front guard and he's since eye-balled an multi-award winning stock EK ute around Mount Macedon and come to the conclusion that one side was too high and the other side was too high and too far in.  He's taken then off and is in the process of reworking them but he's asked something I can't answer.  He asked about my door seal and I said it was 3 sided, ending at the floor both front and back.  He said the EK was 4 sided and had a chrome strip on the floor.  Does anyone have a photo or an excellent means of describing what's original? Roll Eyes

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2002, 02:50:18 AM »

Howie,

You're panel-beater is right, although the scuff-plate (as they're called) is not originally chromed, but zinc.  The rubber is a one-piece unit.  This picture (hopefully) makes it more clear:

You can buy the rubbers, windlacing and scuff plates from RS if/when you need them.  At this stage they only have FC scuff plates, not FE ones.

cheers
RET

PS - Credit where due:  this picture of Kevin Woolard's car was taken by Hewart Wink

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ute-opia

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 06:24:06 AM »

That is unbelievable!.....what about a rabbit out of a hat next!  
Tremendously appreciated.
Cheesy

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 09:26:54 AM »

Howie,  EK front doors have a point at the top of the 1/4 vent window.  This means that the EK door rubber has 4 sides while the FE/FC only has 3 - The front and top being all one piece.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 03:39:24 AM »

Ken,

This is not in answer to Howie's question, just time-wasting semantics. Wink

Are we talking about sides as in the perimeter of the door-frame, or as in how many physical pieces of rubber get glued together to make the rubber?

I would have said that an FE/FC rubber had 5 sides, and an FB/EK one had 6, ie:

Code:

FE/FC
+---+
|....\
|.....\
|......|
|......|
|......|
+------+

FB/EK
+---+
|...|
|...+--+
|......|
|......|
|......|
+------+

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ute-opia

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 05:10:11 AM »

....man, have I got a long way to go with this learning curve!
I got onto rare spares and ordered my scuff plates and door seals but they sell the wind lacing by the metre.  My car's not terribly handy so can anyone give me a rough idea of how many metres, erring on the high-side?

thanks a mill  Cheesy

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 09:34:31 AM »

RET, I think I'm talking about the number of pieces glued together, but your amazing graphical presentation has made me forget what on earth I was talking about  Tongue

Howie, if you order 2 metres of windlace for each door this will be enough. Actual length requirement is about 1.7 metres.

Ken
Ute-opia

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2002, 09:02:34 PM »

Brilliant......order's in!
Thanks a mill  Grin

howie mcquarrie
howie@regcap.com
(m) 040404-44-33
(h) 03-9646-1884
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2002, 02:52:38 AM »

...your amazing graphical presentation...

Yeah, who needs PhotoShop when you've got a fixed-width font to make ASCII art with  Grin

RET

Geoffs FE Ute
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2002, 09:19:49 PM »

How much where the scuff plates from R/S and are they different to the ones on an FE ute compared to FC.I would have thought they would have been the same.Geoff.
Sheriff
qld-club

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2002, 12:01:29 AM »

about the windlacing.  How do you put the windlacing in after the hoodling is in place.  I had my hood lining done years ago and got onto the windlacing later but have not been able to work out how it goes in.  Has anybody got any tips?  Mike
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2002, 01:43:22 AM »

FE scuff plates are flat on top whereas FC have a ridge running along the length.  Bothe will fit either model though.  Cost is about $85 ea.

Prise the headlining clamp gently away from the body with a putty knif or similar, slip the winlace in, then gently tap the clamp strip back in place with a cloth covered piece of wood.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: