FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:56:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My new project  (Read 167170 times)
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:50 AM »

He bloody better have it ready for Orange!
(it's not as much fun, travelling in one car only)

cheers jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »

I could be pushing peas uphill with the proverbial rake but I will give it my best shot!. If not I've still got the trusty stockie to cruise to Orange in, might have to get some well padded seat covers though! Cheers Jack  ps. if not Orange then definately Perth in 2012
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 08:47:10 PM »

We'll be real happy to drive up to Orange with you n Chris in your stockie, no probs, BUT, we would all have a bit more fun if you can get 'the project' on the road by then!
Get the rake out; start pushing them peas uphill flat out!

cheers jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »

Time for another update, although not much progress has been made. I have replaced both lower rear 1/4 panels and inside beaver panels. I have also managed to fit all the seatbelt anchor plates including the one in the upper pillor. I cut out the bucket seat mounts from my donor commodore and grafted them to the FC floor. I had to make up a box section and lower the floor under the seats to get them to sit low enough. next job is the fuel tank and after that the front subframe. With daylight saving and warmer weather I'm hoping to make a bit more progress over the coming months. Cheers for now, Jack.
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »

Looking good, Jack

that radiator I told you about is HR - HZ 6 cyl auto; it's yours if you can use it

cheers, jack

(and thanks for the roast!)

FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »

Thanks Jack, sounds like it will do the job. I've now got an excuse to visit!. Catch up soon, Cheers, Jack.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »

Jack,

Some good progress shots there, keep up the good work and I will see you in Orange

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2009, 06:06:25 PM »

Neat bit of engineering work on those seat mounts Jack.
                                  Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »

Another quick update ( why are we always hurrying these days? ) I have put the framework in for the fuel tank and done a trial fit, looks like it's made for an FC. Just need to get a new filler inlet fitted and have the old one blocked off. Also got my diff assy and springs back. Had the diff shortened to give me a track of 1435mm and had the springs retempered and an xtra leaf fitted. This should lower the car by 1 inch at the back. May have to lower it more but wont really know until it's all back on it's wheels.Also coated the back half of the underside with chassis black. So glad to have finally got pass the rust repair stage and starting to put some parts back on. Hope to get the rear end all back together over Xmas, just waiting on some bumpstops. Until the next update Merry Xmas and cheers, Jack
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »

G'day Jack, the old girl's coming together nicely now, just a couple of questions as I'm thinking about having a go at doing my diff myself, is 1435mm from axle face to axle face and is that a standard size that all commodore diffs are cut down to, also I see you're going to have another problem that i haven't come to yet, there's no room for the exhaust between the springs and the fuel tank, had any thoughts on that Huh, the only thing i can come up with(apart from side pipes) is to go through the springs though i don't know if that's legal.
                      Pedro

F4+
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »

Hi Pedro, the 1435 measurement is from axle face to axle face. The guy who did the job used the short axle out of the commo diff and an axle out of a Chev to get the right measurement so I could use commo wheels. I was told that if you do it as described here on the forum you end up shortening the diff by 200mm which would make it shorter than the standard FC diff and then might require tubbing and/or deep dish rims.As I am trying to retain VS commo running gear and 4 wheel disc brakes I had to go the way I went. It also keeps the engineer happy as it all matches up. As for the exhaust, you're right, the engineer said no to pipe through the springs but as the fuel tank is only protruding 100mm below the boot floor on the left side , there is enough room for an exhaust providing I fit a heat shield between the exhaust pipe and the fuel tank. I will find out for you what model Chev axle was used. I hope to get it all fitted together over Chrissy and will post some more photos. Cheers for now, Jack
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »

Thanks Jack, sounds like i might have to look into the diff a bit more yet as mine is VL and drum brake, the measurement will be very handy as i can set up the wheels where they need to go and then check between them, my fuel tank problem is not going to be resolved as easy as yours though, I welded in the VL boot floor and slung the tank underneath same as the Commodore so i could keep my spare wheel well (wagon), i might have to look for a smaller tank if i can't go through the springs.
                                Pedro

F4+
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2010, 06:03:45 PM »

Just an update to let you all know I'm still alive and slowly working on the FC even with a bung shoulder!. I had to redo the back support on the rotisserie as it was starting to look a bit proppy. Even painted it to make it look professional Grin The rear end is in as well as the fuel tank. I painted the fuel tank and the rear floor pan with Por 15, this stuff is magic to use, very pleased. The next step is to set up the hand brake, I tried the VR Commo one but it is too bulky and would probably foul the tailshaft. I will have to have a look around the wreckers and see if I can find something a little smaller, any suggestions welcome. Well that's all for now , Cheers, Jack Fitted restrictor to FC filler neck and adapted it to Commo tank.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 01:19:01 AM »

Jack,

You have some excellent progress shots there, good to see it all coming along nicely. Are you going to the Nationals, if so are you taking your other FC?

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »

Hello Keith, yes I will be going to the nationals in the stockie. I have just finished adding a bit of extra foam between the springs and the vinyl on the drivers side of the bench seat so hopefully I'll get there with my posterior in better condition than it was at Mt Gambier Grin Looking forward to catching up with you all at Orange. Cheers, Jack
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »

Nice work Jack.There is some excellent progress there.Keep up the photos.Jamie. Cool

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »

Great stuff, Jack!  Smiley

This one wont make it to Orange, but so what - I'm sure the trusty old stocky will get you there

with class, style and dignity  Cool

Will catch up with you and Chris either on the way up, or at Orange. (a bit worried about our accommodation, though - it seems some real noisy ferals have booked in next door to us...)

cheers, jack

FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »

Well, after some inspiration from Orange and some improvement from my shoulder I was able to do a bit more on the FC this week. I have fitted a handbrake out of an Hyundai Excel which matched up well with the standard VS commy cable. Plenty of clearance for the tailshaft too. The next step will be to get the subframe cleaned up, repaired and fitted. Will keep you posted, Cheers for now, Jack . 
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

And your update would be where Jack? Although you do have the excuse of recovering from your shoulder op so I'll cut you a little slack...... for now!  Cheesy 

Was good to meet you at Orange!  Cheesy

NosFEratu
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »

Jack, I apologise for introducing you to Kathi at the Nats; sorry mate, now you're on her 'hit list' too!  Roll Eyes

(ps  about time you and Chris visited Port Fairy to check out that radiator  Wink)

cheers, jack

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: