FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:56:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another question on Ryco oil filters  (Read 4370 times)
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2005, 10:56:18 PM »

I see the fitting instructions & the diagram in Alex's Accessory of the Week refer to a restrictor fitted into the outlet line.  I would have thought that the tiny (approx 2mm hole) in the centre post in the Ryco filter canister would have provided enough restriction to prevent a severe loss of oil pressure.

As I'm about to get the plumbing made for mine, I'd like to know whether it's necessary to fit a restrictor to the outlet of the Ryco filter - and if so, what does it comprise (and where can I get one)?

Can somebody help, please.

Gratefully,   Smiley

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 05:34:22 AM »

Martin, the original brass t-piece that is usually fitted with the Ryco's and allowed the oil pressure sender to be screwed in as well as the line to the oil filter (not sure if it was inlet or outlet) also has a very small diameter hole.  I am not sure if this is the restrictor but if it is I have a spare one if you can't get hold of one.  PM me if you are interested.

Burnsy

Mike
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:52:09 PM »

Martin,

I have had an AC type filter on mine for years and while I don't know about the restrictor, I have been told that with the small bleed hole there will be little or no drop in pressure. However, when I first fitted it, the tappets seemed to rattle a bit for a few seconds on startup, which they hadn't before. To fix the problem I fitted a check valve on the outlet (bottom) of the filter housing to stop the canister emptying under gravity when the motor is turned off. I reasoned that pushing oil through the filter element would be an additional source of resistance and that keeping the housing full would minimize the time until full backpressure built up. It seemed to work and the filter is definitely doing its job.

Cheers,

Dave
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 12:48:37 AM »

Dave
Curious as to how the oil gets out of the filter when the motor is running with a check valve installed?  Huh
Surely if the check valve (one way valve?) is fitted in the return line to stop the oil from draining out when the motor is stopped, then when the motor is running the oil still would still not flow thru the filter, or is there some sneaky way you have installed the check valve?

Effie C

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 04:07:51 AM »

Effie,

I'm not an expert in this area and maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but I explained my requirements to a bloke at ENZED who sold the valve to me. He said it would only open under pressure so when the motor stopped it would close and stop the oil draining out.  I'm pretty sure it will only allow flow in one direction (it has an arrow cast into the body).

It might be a non-return valve that needs pressure in the right direction to open. Whatever it is, it works. The filter stays full but there is definitely oil flowing through.

Cheers,

Dave
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:41:12 AM »

Dave it makes a lot more sense now, more of a pressure relief valve then a check valve.
Effie C

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »

Thanks, Dave.  

With the Ryco filter, there is a hollow centre post in the canisterwhich not only acts as the "nut" for the bolt on the lid to screw into, it also acts as the outlet pipe.  There is a small hole drilled in it (only 1mm or 2mm) near the top through which the outflowing oil would pass.  Being near the top, only the top one or two centimetres would drain out so I wouldn't think that start-up would be a problem - although if the AC is of similar design, maybe it will be a problem.

I'll ask the pipe people when I get the plumbing made up.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 10:30:44 PM »

Martin,

location of the hole in the Ryco filter should eliminate the problem I had.

In the AC type, the hole is near the bottom. Moving it higher up the post is an alternative to the valve I fitted. The valve was just easier for me at the time.

Cheers,

Dave
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:02:07 PM »

Thanks, Dave.

Martin

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Fletch777

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 08:31:35 AM »

G'day
Can anyone tell me where I can get the plumbing for an external oil filter, particularly the T piece.

Thanks for your help.

Fletch

Fletch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: