FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 05:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do FC Holdens fix themselves??  (Read 7361 times)
REDMR2RED
vic-club

Model: FC

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »

Speedo began not working, working, not working, then eventually died altogether.   Angry

Sought some advice and bought a second hand speedo cable.  Pulled mine out to find the two cables matched exactly, there was no break in my original cable.  Put the second hand one in just in case.  Speedo still didn’t work.   Angry

Was given (thanks Darcy) a second hand speedo, also bought two for parts at the Auction Swap.  Pulled mine out to fit the second hand one.  Tested mine with a variable speed cordless drill and it worked perfectly. Put mine back in.

Sought more advice and moved further down the line.  Dismantled the speedo drive out of a spare gearbox to learn as I go.  Pulled mine out of my gear box, tested it and it worked fine.  Put it all back together and NOW MY SPEEDO WORKS FINE, with the second hand cable, original speedo in the dash and the same drive in the gear box.   Grin

So do FC Holdens fix themselves?? or Does the exercise of just moving things around make them work???

1959 FC Holden Ute
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:11:51 PM »

Generally the thing that goes wrong with the speedos is they seize up inside in the bearing. Yours sounds like it was starting to build up some resistance and you "fixed " it by giving it a wizz with the drill. I would still pull one apart and lube it up and replace yours or you will find the problems will probably return.

Ken
fe-ambo

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:28:51 PM »

Perhaps your car and Christine are related?

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »

I didn't know my car had any relations!!!!   Wink

Or (from one who has never named their car) is Christine the name of your car?  Grin   Grin   Grin

1959 FC Holden Ute
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »

You don't know the Plymouth named Christine?

great movie Cheesy

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »

You don't know the Plymouth named Christine?

great movie Cheesy

Ken
BAD TO THE BONE ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »

I was referring to the Plymouth Christine. It is a great movie.
I dont have a name for my car although depending on how it is going it does sometimes get called certain unprintable names.   Lips sealed Lips sealed

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »

This is one of the things I just LOVE about old cars.  They have their own personality, sometimes they purrrr along not a shake rattle or roll to be heard, as if they are in a "good mood" or something.  Then there are the times when nothing seems to be going right, they run rough, everything rattles, things stop working then magically fix themselves again, seems they can also have their bad moods!

A few years ago a mate of mine had an EH Holden, mildly modified (floor shift, 186 etc etc) with a set of new seatbelts in it.  When you first kicked the car over the seatbelts would totally lock up, you couldn't get them to loosen AT ALL.  As soon as you took off and took the revs over 2500 they would release and work absolutely fine until you turned the car off again.  We tried everything to fix them, even the crazy idea that if you reved the engine to over 2500 before you took off they would loosen......NOTHING would work to fix them.  SO of course this was just accepted as one of the subtle idiosyncrasies of a 40+ yo car.

For a few years this was fine, always served as a funny joke when someone new jumped into the car, always a great conversation over a few beers.  UNTIL we got pulled over 50m after taking off one day..................CAN YOU IMAGINE THE CONVERSATION WITH THE POLICE OFFICER!!!!!............."Sorry Sir I cant put my seat belt on until I take the car over 2500 revs".  Needless to say a hefty fine and a vehicle defect notice later the seatbelts were taken out and changed for new ones.............YOU WONT BELIEVE, exactly the same thing happened with the new ones!!!!!!!!!!
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »

Just like Christine, cars or my project cars always end up dominating my entire life...  Everything I do would be for the car... getting parts, fixing it, researching a new modification, driving it.. totally obsessed... until selling them is the only exit.

I reckon Stephen King would probably be into cars to write such a brilliant story which is so close to the truth.

in the shed
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 08:52:07 AM »

Classic quote from the movie....."you can't polish a turd!"  Cheesy
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »

Just watched the Steven King movie "Christine" in 11 parts 10 minutes each.

http://www.stephenking.kalli.us/stephen-king-christine/

What a laugh!!!!!

1959 FC Holden Ute
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »

Yeah but do you notice how much they play up with a for sale sign on them.

oldjohnno

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

Speedo began not working, working, not working, then eventually died altogether.   Angry

Sought some advice and bought a second hand speedo cable.  Pulled mine out to find the two cables matched exactly, there was no break in my original cable.  Put the second hand one in just in case.  Speedo still didn’t work.   Angry

Was given (thanks Darcy) a second hand speedo, also bought two for parts at the Auction Swap.  Pulled mine out to fit the second hand one.  Tested mine with a variable speed cordless drill and it worked perfectly. Put mine back in.

Sought more advice and moved further down the line.  Dismantled the speedo drive out of a spare gearbox to learn as I go.  Pulled mine out of my gear box, tested it and it worked fine.  Put it all back together and NOW MY SPEEDO WORKS FINE, with the second hand cable, original speedo in the dash and the same drive in the gear box.   Grin

So do FC Holdens fix themselves?? or Does the exercise of just moving things around make them work???

Well they sort of fix themselves. The thing is there was never really a problem, it just craved some attention. It's obvious when you think about it: FC=Female Car, nice to look at but a bit leaky at times and sulky (or downright malicious) if you don't lavish enough time and money on them.
The speedo was never really faulty, she was just feeling unloved and wanted you to spend some time on her. Now everythings fine.

Until next time...

Jackass of all trades...
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

Watching Mythbusters the other night - apparently you CAN polish a turd!

Wink

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: