FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Greasing Lower Control arm and engine oil  (Read 2388 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2003, 08:05:16 AM »

I am unable to get grease into the lower control arm,I have taken the grease nipple out and the shaft is right behind it.The nipple is not blocked.How does this work?Do i need to take it out and if i do will I have trouble with the spring pushing it out of line?Also what is the best oil to use in a worn Grey motor?
Thanks,
Graham
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2003, 08:19:34 PM »

Hi Graham,
It sounds like the bottom arm has been assemble off-centre. Check the gaps either side of the arm to crossmember & they should be equal.
Best choice is to refit the arm in the central position but then you'll need to re-adjust the wheel alignment. If the wheel alignment is correct with the arm where it is, (assuming the joint is in good nick) you can leave it and just use a really good high pressure grease gun. Normally there is a gap of about 4-6mm behind the nipple. If the nipple is not fouling on the end of the pivot you might have to try pumping it in with the vehicle weight on the wheel in the up or down position or in between. (Use a safety stand under the bottom wishbone) I've found sometimes you need to keep the pressure on the grease gun for quite a while to get old grease moving through the joint.
When aligning the arms there are special "U" shaped spacers to centralise the arm on the pivot (which you can make) but I've found you can get it central pretty easy without having to use them. I also find it hard to get the spacers out afterwards anyway. It does have to be done with the spring tension released so will take a while to do.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 10:39:02 AM »

If you believe the sales pitch, maybe one of these will help you!  Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 12:13:13 PM »

Shell 25w-60 is ok for worn motors, if it's real bad try using Penrite HPR 50, (40w-70). Shocked
Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 07:25:38 PM »

Graham
          What Leigh said about greasing the front end and shell helix (red bottle) for older engine is not a bad oil for the motor. if you need heavyer than this then it might be time to think about a rebuild. Just putting thicker oil in to a worn motor is not doing it any favours.

Regards
Mark

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 08:21:50 PM »

thanks, for the advice I spaced out the grease nipple and although still not easy the grease appears to be getting in.
Cheers,
Graham Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: