FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 11:28:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Deleting 1/4 vents  (Read 4462 times)
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2004, 12:26:46 PM »

Hey everyone.  
Has anyone ever deleted their 1/4 vent window assemblies.  By this i mean getting rid of them and just having a longer 1 pc window.  
I've been thinking about it for awhile but would like some info/suggestions about this.        Would you still be able to use a flat bit of glass the whole width?   What would you be able to do for seals, bailey channel etc. What about the regulator mech. Would this still operate the window up and down properly or would it tilt it?
Any ideas and suggestions would be great.

Miikael  
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 12:48:04 PM »

Miikael,

it is apparently quite common for restorers who are not interested in having 1/4 vents to replace the moveable window with a fixed triangle of glass in a rubber seal between the division channel and the door frame.  I think Mark Bone (Mandurah) has done this to some of his FC's.

A starting place for a seal would be the one from the back door fixed window pane, but length may be a bit different, not sure.....but something could be made to fit it....

cheers.....Brad
HARKO
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 12:57:12 PM »

Mikael ,Let me start by saying "I cant get enough of your van" I never liked that colour and I havent seen many earlies with 17s that looked just right, But your van has the whole package thing goin on ,shame I dont still live up that way so I could rub my XXXXX as I saw you go past hehe.

So my 2c worth would be that obviously how the quarter is angled from the main glass would stop you from having one roll up/down side glass without trimming the metal and straightening it ,and the overhang on the regulator would probably cause it to have less weight on the rear which would eccentuate any play in the rollers etc.
Ive done the same thing on the missus beetle and it eventualy will cop a power window setup towards the centre of the glass to stop the movement.

But hey ,that would look awesome - everything that is hard to do always looks awesome.
Exept that car "Jigsaw" hehe
HARKO
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 01:00:49 PM »

Awww sorry mate - was thinking of fevan6 s car, doh!
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 08:38:11 PM »

Hey Harko
The Monaro in the background with your ute pic, is it yours? It looks identical to one I had years ago which disappeared from this area once I sold it.
Sorry to Hijack the post, just wondering about the car
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 11:32:32 PM »

It has been done before - Vince O'Donaghue's "BYEBYE" has one-piece glass front and rear.  I don't have a digital photo of the car - it's been a while since I've seen it, actually - but I'm sure Alex would have some pix of it.  I think it had electric windows, but I've never seen inside the doors to know how much work was involved.

Obviously the better balanced the wheel in the window-frame channel the easier it will move and longer it will last, as Harko said.  At least all the glass and channels are straight, so it's not as complicated as it might be on (say) an HR.

The rear glass I recall was more complicated by the wheel-arch, and I think had a small notch in it to allow the glass to travel further.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 09:51:03 AM »

Richard is right about Vince's 'Bye Bye'. It did have 1 piece front and rear glass. The front did not go all the way to the front corner as he had intergrated mirrors located there. I'm not sure, but I think it wouldn't be possible anyway as the box sections for the front door hinges would get in the way.  the back doors did have a notch moulded into the top of the wheelarch to give clearance for the corner added to the door. Vince still had manual windows though. I would suggest looking into Monaro window mechanisms.....should be large enough but would need repositioning.
I have seen another FC that had 1 piece rear windows. I think I posted a pic somewhere else already.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Alex

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 10:15:26 AM »

Just read my previous post and realised I was using past tense. ByeBye is still on the road and has been a daily driver for the past 20 years. Vince was talking about a full rebuild last I heard.
Here's another pic.
Regards
Alex

HARKO
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 11:25:33 AM »

I can definitely see how those would work without major surgery , the angle of the quarter glass to the door glass is not great but i reckon he has just pulled it off ,A little longer and I dont think it would cut it or should i say would have to cut it, But good point Alex I didnt pick up on the hinges ,Will tack this one somewhere into the memory banks for futre frustration.

Nah diferent car Jock, This one was a ugly brown shell when I bought it about 11 years ago ,Hyundai green too but close to original.
fcvan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 11:35:36 AM »

thanks all for the info.  that sure looks good on the BYEBYE car.   I didn't plan on having the integrated mirrors but you never know.I'll look into it on the weekend.
much appreciated

miikael
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 10:39:31 PM »

The rebuild hasn't happened at this stage - Charlie Boozer saw Vince in BYEBYE only about a fortnight ago.  So she's still on the road.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: