FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:35:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: googled myself and..............  (Read 2886 times)
2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »

This is interesting,
I sometimes dont log out when i leave the forum,i just close the page and what i did was google "fc2brite", that took me to  check profile of 2brite.

When profile came up i was then able to use all the tabs ie home, help, search etc.

So that means any one can really use your forum access if you dont log out.

Huh Huh
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:57 AM »

Very interesting, I for one never log out coz when I do I can never remember my password.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:14:22 AM »

I would have thought it was your pc logged in and if anywhere else tried it wouldn't let you in.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 07:15:02 AM »

If you don't log out the forum saves a bit of info on your computer (technically called a "cookie") so that it knows who you are next time you visit. The default is to stay logged in forever, but you can set the cookie to expire after a certain period of time. Try it - log out and see what the options are to log back in again.

Furthermore, there's no reason why you can't be logged in on several computers simultaneously. Paul - you've been using your mobile from France, but probably didn't deliberately log out of your computer at home.

This would only be a security problem if you were using a shared PC - like at an internet cafe - and didn't log out. Subsequent users (if they were to visit this site, a very big if) would pick up your login credentials.

It's not an issue with home computers. I'd think that if someone nefarious has physical access to your own computer then them posing on the forum as you is likely to be the least of your problems...

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:59:08 AM »

RET - I'm back home again and i just checked my phone and both it, and my computer are logged in. Makes it easy to have a quick look wherever I am.

Turns out I can browse the ordinary web page on the phone anyway but the WAP was quicker because of no pics.

Start a google map thingy and pin on where members are when they log in worldwide - may take a bit but you'll end up with an impressive collection of countries I reckon.

Paul.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »

2brite,

No it doesn't mean that.  Try the google trick from another computer, which you have not logged into this part of the website from.  I'm pretty sure that it will not take you to the member's only section.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: