FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:32:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 3M verses Loctite ??  (Read 7753 times)
stephen

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »

Hi .. Just bought my door rubbers from Rare Spares in Adelaide and a tube of 3M WEATHERSTRIP ADHESIVE came with it .. explained to the guy at RS that most people are using Loctite 406 and he said he never use that on rubbers and did not recommend it, instead said the 3M stuff was good .. MY question is .. Has anybody used the recommended 3M Weatherstrip adhesive, is it any good and is it better than Loctite 406 (oops 3 Questions) .. Regards Stephen
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,2937.0.html

Some good stuff in here.

Regards Wayne
FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:28 PM »

I've used Loctite 424 "for difficult to bond rubbers" on all my cars and reckon it's magic. You need to be carefull, only use minimum amounts and glue small sections at a time, and for blokes like me - allow a bit of extra time to unglue the fingers!

Red & white is alright
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:47:13 PM »

The Restorer's Hotline (SA Rare Spares Agent  Wink ) advice is correct, I used the 3M gear they recommended.
If done properly it holds the rubbers in place and seems to leave a clean surface when you remove the rubber ie the rubber is not destroyed.

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »

I recently purchased my door rubbers from Rares and they also supplied the 3M glue.I have also always used 406 or 401 loctite for quick fixes on different materials which is the reason it's not a good choice on door rubbers as it sets far too quick and unless you are really on your game it's going to stick where you don't want it too.I would suggest it is the best glue for joining the rubbers though.Just my opinion.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
stephen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »

Seems the Jury is still out, .. the part that worries me is that on the box it states " Avoid putting adhesive on exposed painted surfaces " .. which obviously means that you don't misjudge and get it on the parts of your car it's not intended for, .. same would apply to Loctite .. but as the inside of the channel where the rubber goes is painted, whats it going to do to the paint? .. also tried a bit on one of the taillight rubbers and it's very messy, very similar to Bear Quick Grip, hard to spread  and does not want to go on the places you want it to stay .. Quite prepared to use it on the rubbers though, Do I just put a dab every now and again eg 20 cm's or put the stuff all the way round the channel that the rubber sits in .. Regards Stephen
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:51:12 AM »

From memory  Undecided it is used like contact adhesive, I used it on both the rubber and the door then presses together when tacked. I recall doing 20-50cm strips at a time.
Any gear that was out of place after the door rubber was in place seemed to rub off quite easily when dry.

stephen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »

Thanks for your help Glen .. will give it a go on the weekend .. Regards Stephen
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »

My opinion is use the Loctite for joining rubber and the 3M for attaching the rubber to the body

Ken
stephen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »

Ok .. all door rubbers have been installed , inner and outer .. inners are piece of cake .. used the recommended 3m product on the rubbers and used the Loctite to join the rubbers .. the 3 M product is good, but should have been white and grey to match the paintwork on my car .. the black shows up on the paintwork .. it is easy to use, very similar to Quick Grip, only black, give enough time to set rubbers in place, if they are in the wrong place or twisted you can pull apart and reglue back the correct way .. only did about 20 cm's at a time, this was enough to handle, .. you have to spread the glue ( 3M) with a screwdriver end or a small piece of wood shaped like chisel, so it dries faster,.. then push it in the rubber channel, best to get a small plastic spatchell or similar to push each edge of the rubber in then rub your hand along it to smooth it out .. as I said it can get messy when pushing into the channel, and black crap gets on the paint work, so it pays to have a rag with some mineral turps, to wash off, and a clean soft cloth to wipe the turps off the paint work, ... once the 3M product goes hard it is very, very hard to remove from the paintwork, so best to do it as you go along ... Hope this helps someone who is contemplating installing door rubbers in the future .. and must stress that this is only my opinion .. Regards StephenS
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 09:02:29 AM »

you have to spread the glue ( 3M) with a screwdriver end or a small piece of wood shaped like chisel, so it dries faster,..

I applied it with the nozzle contacting the rubber so that it was spread thin at the time of application.

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »

the 3 M product is good, but should have been white and grey to match the paintwork on my car .. the black shows up on the paintwork
Excellent,no problems there for me.... Tongue

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: