FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Glass Weather Strips  (Read 5988 times)
Oggz

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:44:51 PM »

Hi all,

Any tricks to getting the new ones back in place? I can see there is a point where the new clip will snap in, but I am having trouble even getting one to seat in properly.

to scared to use something like a screw driver because likely damage of door or weather strip.

I have new repros from Betta Rubber, the clips line up ok, had to trim about 1.5mm from an end to get to fit inside the new bailey channel.

kinda lost here at the moment, everything else on the door has gone reasonably well, even getting the window back in, this has brought me to a stand still

Cheers
Oggz
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »

Oggz,

Door belt weatherstrip tricks?

Use grease on the clips and the holes in the door.  Even to the point of closing the new clips down with pliers.  You may have to move the clips on the new weatherstrip.  One frustrating thing I remember is that the clips can be positioned too high on the replacement strips, so that the stainless reveal sits down inside the opening, instead of on top.

Mark the new strips for correct length in position and then cut them to length.  Either a Dremel with cutting disc, or an angle grinder with the 0.7 mm cutting discs.

And use a piece of tapered wood as a wedge.

Patience, patience, patience.  Like all replacement parts, the closer you get them to their intended place, the less they fit.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »

what kind of grease do you recommend? lithium? axle? silicone?

wooden wedge? put both strips in place then force a wedge down in?

yeah clips seem high, but if they where any lower there wouldn't be a lot for them to grip on.

Cheers
Oggz
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »

Bit of vasso on the holes. Put both sides in place. Medium flat blade screwdriver in between and turn until they pop in. Shouldn't damage the seal too easily. Just keep pressure off the top metal bits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 04:50:19 PM »

I always put one side in at a time. I use a cut down concreting trowel because it has a nice large handle and a strong thin wide blade.
Make sure all clips line up with holes as accurately as possible before you push any clips I and check that ends are exactly the right length.
Scratches or chips usually occur when you're taking them out again because it wasn't quite right the first time.

Ken
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

I am really struggling with this. doesn't matter what i use as a lever, the metal that the holes are in just bends.... I have managed to only get 1 clip to actually "pop" in, and then it fell out. I think it may actually be the clips? but I cant tell.

And well, this is the final result, too much fiddling with the damn strip and its warped and bent and clips are loose.

So, if there is anyone willing to come and give me a hand with tools or expertise, I live on the gold coast.

For anyone who would like to help, I can offer beer and BBQ as a reward Smiley

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »

That's a compelling offer you're putting up there, Oggz Smiley

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Oggz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 03:17:11 PM »

That was the point  Grin
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »

I suppose you've tried getting your left hand up inside the door and pushing either side of the back of the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 05:53:56 PM »

Dare Betta rubber supplied from Rare Spares?
I've only ever used RS strips and honestly, they just pop straight in. No problems at all

Ken
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »

Better do the work BEFORE the jug 👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 04:49:33 PM »

Hi Oggz. I installed these in both front doors about 6 months back. I got them from Rares and the strips had the clips already attached and were therefore all one piece. Three popped straight in and the fourth strip needed a little persuasion as one of the clips didn't quite line up with the hole. I think the installation took me around 30 minutes.
Cheers, Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: