FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:48:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 186 engine mod  (Read 6954 times)
Jonno

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2003, 10:34:14 AM »

Hi everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance here?I?m rather new to the modifications thing.  I?ve just bought a ute which has a 186 engine fitted.  However, the clearances seem very small especially with the extractors on the passenger side (about 5mm?.see arrow in photo).  Also the engine is considerably lower (3 inch) at the rear than at the front.  Probably just being paranoid here but are these alignments typical for this mod?

Jon

Cottles Bridge, VIC
craiga
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 10:44:04 AM »

Jon,

What gearbox are you using?

Maybe the extractors are for something with more width between the chassis rails - HT/K/G ?

Craig
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 10:23:57 PM »

Hi Craig,

Its a 3 speed all-synchro box, floor shift.  Still finding my way around though..only had the car a few weeks.

Jon

Cottles Bridge, VIC
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 11:42:22 PM »

Hi Jon,
Extractors are not the normal early Holden type. You might have hassles with roadworthy guys being that close to the chassis.
The engine angle is determined by the carby needing to be level. Easy way to check is with a spirit level in both directions across the top of the carby. Doesn't have to be spot on but the closer the better.
Where the engine mounts have been welded on the crossmember and the rear gearbox mounts are positioned is about the only way of adjusting that.

Leigh

Red & white is alright
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 04:44:46 AM »

thanks Leigh,

the roadworthy is what's concerning me most at the moment.  I think you're right, the extractors will have to go - i'll have to find some others.  The carbie is not dead-level, but not too bad.

Jon

Cottles Bridge, VIC
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 01:11:45 PM »

all you need to do is heat with an oxy and using a big crow bar or similar bend it over a bit using the chassis rail as lever point,as it is only about quarter of an inch too close

craiga
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 09:27:17 PM »

Jon,

Save your cash and buy some new FC extractors. If you close to Sydney you could also try Slim on 0402 465768. He may have some good second hand ones.

When you modify a car its worth the expense to do it right because otherwise the car just becomes an unreliable and pigheaded pain in the arse. You already own a car that someone has taken shortcuts with by not using the right part so don't fall into the same trap.

Why don't you join one of the state clubs? You said that this is your first experience with a modified car. At least go to a meeting and check it out - I think you'll find it very useful.

Hope the car turns out OK.

Cheers,

Craig.
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2003, 12:53:46 AM »

thanks Craig,

will certainly join the local club, was just hoping to get the car roadworthy first (but maybe this is the wrong way around).

cheers, Jon

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Alex Williams
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2003, 02:51:06 AM »

Jonno
I have found that the best and cheapest exhaust set up to use on a red motor/early Holden combo is to use the cast iron headers from an X2, 186S or GTR Torana and use the factory 186S front pipes.
Alex
kma
vic-club

If you want it to REV get a CHEV

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 06:30:46 AM »

hi jon
I think your extractors are to suit a later model with a traumatic trans, the auto is wider than the manual box, also the hot air pick up point is visable in your photo so they are to suit something with anti polution crap, depending on how handy you are buy some exhaust tube and a slab then cut the pipes to achieve the clearance and re weld.

reguards kevin
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 08:44:24 AM »

Alex/Kevin,

thanks for your advice.

cheers, Jon

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 02:37:46 AM »

Jon

Re angle of the engine - check to ensure you have you rubber mount inbetween the gear box and crossmember.

Re exhaust clearance - pace maker make extractors to suit an FE/FC with a red.  Mine cost me approx $350 including fitting.

Al

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 01:53:29 AM »

Hi Al,

Do you mean like this?

jon

P.S. thanks for info re. extractors

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Flamed_FE

Built with my two hands

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 07:31:41 PM »

Jon

Sorry about the delay in answering.  Things have been busy!!

Thats the one.  If the carby still isn't level, undo your nuts and jack the gear box up.  I'll think you will find you hit the floor pan before you get any real improvement to the engine angle.  You will then have to decide if it's close enough or if you want to mod the hump

Amy's & Mac's Jumping Castle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: