FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 07:58:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How much for an FC  (Read 3156 times)
shane_r

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »

I am in terrible position whereby i have spent a lot of money on my FC and now due to finacial issues i may have to face the realistic posibility of selling my car.

Like many before me and after me in this position i am unsure what the car is realy worth as there is still money required to be spent in order to get the car on the road.

Can anybody out there give me an idea of what a vehicle in this condition would fetch?

1958 FC sedan, Terrocotta body, Adobe Biege flash, roof, boot ect ect.

*Just had full bare metal respray (2 K paint) in orig colours, new floor pan sections welded in and crossmembers
*All new rubbers fitted
*Complete motor rebuild, original grey motor
*Interior rough, front seat needs to be resprung and door trims backing are warped a bit.
* Chrome is OK although if the car was used as a show car rechroming is required
* full brake overhaul required, wheel cylinders, brake pads ect ect.
*I still have original plate "GVN 202" (victorian) and last rego sticker on widow 1985.

I wanted to get the car to driving condition prior to being in this position as i think it would give me a greater change to salvage any losses

In this incomplete condition what would be a fair price if to ask if i do go through with an unfortunate sale?

I can email photo's to someone is that would give them a better idea.

Thanks in advance

Shane...
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 12:56:49 AM »

OK Shane, let's work this out....

- The Car in running condition  ( $ 5000 )
- The Rust Work ( $ 1000 )
- The Paint Job ( $ 7000 )
- New Rubbers ( $ 1000 )
- Engine Rebuild ( $ 2000 )

Less a new interior ( -$2000 )
Less Brake Overhaul ( -$1000 )
Less a full Re-Chrome ( -$1000 )

That comes to $12000

Now as it's not on the road, and somene has to do the work....CUT THAT IN HALF !

This gives you $6000.

Now this may seem an insult ( sorry, not meant to be ), but as the new owner still has to fix the interior, the whole braking system, re-chrome, and get it back on the road, they'll need to spend that $4000 to get it up to an even top condittion......so $4000 on top of the sale price of $6000 would cost the new owner $10000.00 all up, which is not a bad price for a grey motor powered FC.

Now without insulting all the grey owners out there...a recent FC in WA fully recond recently, new paint, chrome, WELD wheels, 327 Chev V8 , 9" diff, Top Loader gearbox ect ect, sold for about $14000.

On the other hand, I know of a similar car to yours, which was mentioned in previous threads, ( see Cambridge FC...the one used with Tony Barber in a cigarette promotion and given away as a prize ), is totally finished, inside and out, original condition except the blue paint job, and would sell for $9000 - $10 000 and you wouldn't have to touch a thing !

So as a guide....I wouldn't take less than $6000...then again, I haven't seen any pics and I don't know how soon you really need to sell.

I guess at the end of the day, it all comes down to why you need to sell, and how soon you want to get some money.

This may not help you much, and is only my thoughts, so please just take this as an interesting read, and not as an insult or offence to your or your car.

Would love to see some pics though !

Cheers

Mark

PS....sorry to hear that you have been forced into this horrible decision.....no one likes to see there cars go for less than their worth only because you have to sell and not want to sell !
I hope you find a good buyer real soon, that will pay you a fair price and give it a good home......!

shane_r

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 11:50:31 PM »

Thanks for such an imformative reply, i am far from insulted, if anything your opinion puts a realistic spin on things.

I appears apparant now. That is you plan to restore a vehicle, you must see it through to completion if you are to recoup a greater proportion of the costs involved in such a project. Although, like many people in this forum i am not into restoring cars for the finacial gain, i certainly could thing of greater profitable ventures out there if i was that way inclined.

Like many before me i am fighting between the head and the heart on what to do with the car, as it is hard to continue a restoration being a full time student just moved interstate.

As I am not a member and am unsure if can post pictures on this forum, is it possible to email you some photo's to post for me?

Cheers

Shane...
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 07:54:32 AM »

Shane,

If you can keep it, stored, that might be better in the long run.  It seems that your problem(s) are: student, just moved interstate.  If you don't need the money, can it be kept at your parents place or at a sister's or brother's place until you can afford to move it closer to you and/or recommence work on it?  Failing that, do you have a friend you could trust to keep it for you?

Cheers

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 08:40:03 AM »

Considering the FE special sedan Leon Spicer Sold recently For $1200. I personally think $6000 is way over a realistic sale price. I think you would be lucky if someone paid round $4000. And thats being realistic , People just do not want to pay that kind of money for an unfinished Unregistered Fc with a fair bit of work left to finish it ... Ride it through if u can as Spinner says, And then Enjoy the fruits of your Hard times. Just my thoughts . SLIM

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 09:17:29 AM »

Shane
        As Spinner & Slim Have said, ride it out if you can. As sure as your butt points to the ground, you will regret selling if you dont really have too. I am 42 years old & once found myself in a similar state as you. I sold my FE Wagon (22 years ago) this car only needed polishing (freashly painted), a set of new trye's & rego. Sold car when I joined the Army for what it owed me. I have never stopped regreting it. Plus the car would be worth a whole lot more now as there are not too many around now. It took me 20 years till I got around to getting another 57, 2 year restoring it & sadly this one is only a sedan
Just my two cents worth.
Only sell it as a last resort.

Regards
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
shane_r

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 12:42:48 AM »

Thanks Fella's,

Your comments are great!

I think riding the situation out will be the best in the long run. As to keeping the car at my parents house. Well, i already have this car and a fully restored EK taking up the old mans garage. The FC is currently outside wrapped up away from the weather. As this is also a contributing factor for the possible sale of the car. If i do ride the situation out, i  must find a more suitable location in the Geelong area.

Once again thanks for your replys and support and as i am now based in NSW, who no's.... providing i keep the car i might eventually finish the project and meet you all at a club run.

Cheers

Shane...
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 05:16:46 AM »

gee's Shane sell the EK and store the FC in your dads garage,after all its an FC or better yet sell EK and send FC up on TNT and work on it in Sydney as im sure the members in NSW will assist you,
you gotta get your priorities right bud
reguards Nicko

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: