FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:26:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FAT FC  (Read 8413 times)
bryan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:14:36 PM »

Hi guys,just wondering what you would recomend to use on standard stud pattern for wheels that i can use radials and lower suspension whith out major alterations,just after the fat low look. ;DAny help would be great.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions, to help us help you, what have you got? Std front end or HR? Do you want to run steelies or mags? How low do want to go? How much do can you afford to spend?

Sideplate
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:16:09 PM »

Angle grinder, 4" lowering blocks and cut off yr bump stops.  Nice and Low mate.  Just be careful of the police...................
FE350

Old holdens never die they just get faster!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »

Hey taz you forgot oxy heating the springs all round till it sags 4 inchs,... it reminds me of when i was 17... at least it looks cool!!!!
bryan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:22:27 AM »

Hi stinky thanks for reply,i have standard fc running gear and wheels etc.Would like to lower around 2 inchs,could use mag or steelies. Smiley
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 07:47:37 AM »

A set of lowered springs on the front and lowering blocks at the rear will do it. There are two ways to get lower springs for the front, the way Tayz suggests or buy a set of lowered springs.
Most 13"/14" steelies/mags won't be a problem if you are only 2" lower and they are not really wide eg more that 6" but of course tyre size and profile will come into play there too Roll Eyes.
Of course, you'll need to check with your local rego place about legalities.

bryan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 07:18:29 AM »

Hi there,would 14s fit fc stud pattern and if so what would you suggest as far as make and model? Is it possible to fit adaptors to allow for the likes of HQ stye stud pattern?
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 08:32:31 AM »

Rims off HG,HT,HK are 14's and are same stud pattern as 13's, the advantage of running 14's is with the lower profile tires you get around the same gearing as 13's with the old high profile tires, so your engine doesn't rev as much.

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 09:35:58 AM »

Early Holdens, Toranas, Early Volvos and I've heard some very early BMWs share the same stud pattern.
Don't use adaptors or spacers, illegal and dangerous I've seen photos of failures.
The most common 14" fitted is from the HKTG Holdens.

NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »

Just a little word of warning if you want to fit 14" wheels use HT or HG.  HK rims are set in further and will bind on the standard steering arms.  Oh and you can buy them brand new.  Cool

regards

NosFEratu

NosFEratu
bryan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 05:45:18 AM »

Hi guys,thanks for info i already have set of 14s off myHT Premier but iam sure they didn't fit will try again or do you fit HT hubs?What are you guys fitting?
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 08:00:22 AM »

Hi Bryan

I have a completely standard FE front end with brand new standard offset HT rims - no need to fit HT hubs. 

On two occasions we have tried HK rims on there and the wheels won't even turn because of the inside offset fouling the tie-rod end.  The HK rims have a deeper back spacing - this explains the different standard track measurement between HK's and HT/G's.

HK rims also have little slots in the outer part of the centre - if that description makes sense. 

Maybe your HT's rims were replaced at some stage in its life with HK ones - this used to be done regularly as there was no major impact by doing this? 

Check my avatar - I have been running these rims for around 7 years now and I replaced my original set with a new set last year when I donated them to the van.  I use my car regularly and have had no problems with them at all - absolutely no scraping or interference. 

We lowered it 2" all around by cutting the springs in the front and using lowering blocks in the back.  I have 195x75 Coker Classics on the rims and this combination gives the car much better proportion - I couldn't believe how much different it made my car look.  I am still amazed and still stoked  Grin 

regards       NosFEratu Cool

NosFEratu
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 09:03:19 AM »

Very interesting bit of information there, I'm running the same on the front but wider on the rear, I am going to fit slightly wider on the front as i don't like the way the hubcap sits out further than the rim, the problem is i was going to get rims with the offset inwards so they didn't scrape on the guards, you've probably saved me a few bucks there because i wouldn't have found out until i went to fit them, I think i'd better try before i buy Smiley.

F4+
bryan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 02:49:56 PM »

Hi guys thanks for help fitted HT rims  ok, tyres 205/70 14 might change for appearance later on what hub caps would suit and colour of rims?They are currently black.
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »

The HT hubcaps don't look too bad as they have an oldish rounded style with the holden lion in the middle and a red surround, I'm running them with white rims and they don't look out of place. Cool

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 04:50:23 PM »

I personally like a classic 50's look.  My sedan is black with red rims and hollywood flippers and looks great.  However, my elk blue (huge surprise there) van has the same combination and looks great too. 

There are plenty of hubcaps out there - google "go-kat-go". That's where I got my flippers from - they also have the version without the flipper bar, as well as others.  Their prices are very good and my most recent set of flippers cost around $160AU landed (Sept '07).   

Pedro's suggestion will also look good and give it a more "Holden" look. 

It really all depends on what "style" you are after. This is a very personal choice as it can make or break the whole look of your car.  Have fun

NosFeratu  Cool

NosFEratu
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »

Plenty of options with the HKTG rims, Baby Moons as supplied from http://www.RodTech.com.au fit just fine for one style.

or here the wheels are fitted with 67mm Dariol (pudding) mould "caps" from a kitchen supply store and chrome nut covers from Hyway Truck Store.

Or you can just paint them black or red and run thin whites, flappers or wide whites.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: