FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fred and Candys Diary - Townsville to Tasmania 2014  (Read 39160 times)
freddyc
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »

Day 9. 
Sorry getting a bit behind.  Too much to see and do.
Dragged out of bed with fresh coffee and a walk on the beach. (Thanks honey)
Stanley is a beautiful place.  Made coffee for our neighbours raised some more money for the RFDS.  They talked us into going from Wynyard to Queenstown. Left about 10.30am nice lazy day. Stopped at the bakery opposite the information centre at Wynyard, great pies and coffee.  Wish I had written down the brand.  Stopped at "Hellyar" love the name of this place. went for the 15 minute gorge walk.  Didn't find it.  Think it was just the river as that is what we walked beside before coming up at the bridge.  Still very pretty. We decided to go check out Cradle mountain on the way past.  Glad we did.  Beautiful like the rest of Tassie.  We decided to leave the car and catch the bus in.  Wise move I think.  Some people just shouldn't have licences.   Got dropped off at Dove Lake and walked up to Glacier Rock.  Jumped back on the bus got off and had a quick look at Pencil Pine Falls then back in the car. Seen some wombats in the hills.  On to Strahan for the night. Found a nice little caravan park with a bottle shop out the front.  Have to buy some port.  Getting too cold sitting outside at night.  A man called whiskers came over and helped us drink  the first bottle.  Locals are friendly here.  Another early night.

Found Thomas the Tree Engine

GPS of the crazy roads here.  They said there would be a few turns. Not for the faint hearted.

Hellyar gorge

Glacier Rock

Pencil Pine Falls

Us having a ball.

Townsville North Queensland
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 07:45:40 AM »

Day 10.
Going on the boat ride today.  Up early to go.
World Heritage Cruises (the red boat)
We got the silver tickets so we could sit near the windows.  We didn't sit much up the front or out the back taking photos most of the time.  Go the cheaper tickets if you are going to do it.
OK so out the front first through Hells Gate then around the front to the Stanley lighthouse. (this doesn't always happen, was very calm so went through to the front) Had a look at the Salmon and Trout farms.  Then got off at Sarah Island for a history tour.  Wow amazing place. The really hard criminals were locked up on this island and had to build boats.  if you don't go there its worth googling the history. Then up the Gordon River.  Could only do 6 knots up the river.  Amazing views.  Beautiful clear day, this helped.  Stopped up the end and went for a bush walk.  Had an amazing lunch on the boat.  All fresh salads meat and salmon.  Back to the car and off to Queenstown. Via Zeehan. Picked up Monty from France, and gave him a lift to Zeehan. Got to Zeehan to late to see anything.  Will be back to have another look.  I lived there when I was 2 so want to see a bit of the place. 
Checked into the caravan park and another early night.  Must be all the clean fresh air.
Back of the boat

Fish farms

Fred

Our Tour guide on Sarah Island

Boat

Island

Drinks

Monty the back packer from France

The Gaiety Theatre where I lived

Information

Queenstown Camp

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »

Day 11 Tuesday
Going on the train ride up the mountain today.
OK wow breathtaking again.
Worth paying the extra money this time to get the back carriage with a back area you can walk out on and free champagne.  Because it wasn't full had extra bottles and kept bringing around glasses.  Nice.
Stopped to pan for gold.  I found some.  Have a tiny nugget to show off.  Fred got a name change and had to play Mr Kelly. The gentleman that built the line.  Gave us the story through the trip.  Again a great  bit of history we have learnt and wonderful photos.  This truly is an amazing part of our world.
Will update more later.  Fred is finally up and making me coffee.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 03:07:46 PM »

Afternoon tea

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »

ok quick update to now. 
Day 11 continued
After the train ride we then went over the road to have lunch and a beer.  There is an amazing staircase there.  The timber was cut here and then sent to England to be carved and then sent back to the pub.  Just amazing.

Then off to Zeehan for a better look.  Went to the museum.  Got to look through the Theatre and Hotel Royal where I lived when I was two.  I think Nan and pop run the woman's hostel, which was what the Hotel Royal was used for in 1970.  One of the guides took us for a look upstairs.  Decided to go on to Queenstown for another night there.  Rabbits everywhere.  Met up with Zulu and others from NSW.  They made us dinner.  Thanks guys.
Bed time again.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »

Day 12 Wednesday.
Had a sleep in.  No hurry today. 
Left at 9am fuelled up and headed for Derwent Bridge to check out the wall.  Had a look at Lake St Clair.  The wall is worth a look and the pub is amazing.
Decided to ring the park in Hobart and see if we could check in a day early.  Got there about 6pm.
Shower and toilet in the same cabin.  Little things you miss in a caravan. (or what you would call our bed on wheels)
Said hello to a few FE/FC people.  Nice to start seeing everyone again.
Early night again.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:49 PM »

Day 13 Thursday.
Made a few coffees for our neighbour's. Headed to Hobart for a walk around constitution dock. Had a seafood platter.  very nice.  Went to the Cascade brewery for a look.  Thanks Fred for driving.  Then back to the camp.  Early dinner then met up with everyone in the camp kitchen.
Its really good seeing everyone again.

Day 14 Friday.
Day 15 Saturday
Day 16 Sunday
Nats Yay.

Ok everyone knows what happens for the next few days.
Wonderful time had by us.  Thanks Tassie for the amazing weekend.  Loved everything about it.
Felt a bit ordinary on Sunday morning but.
Something to do with the dance and drinking all night.  Glad there was a bus.
Nothing to do with staying up drinking and singing in the camp kitchen until 1.30am.
Missed out on Sundays late night drinking.  Getting too old, had to go to bed.
Again Thanks everyone that was involved in the weekend.  It was amazing.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 08:03:41 PM »

Day 17 Monday.
Ok sad the Nats are over had a wonderful time.  But off again on our holidays.
Think we told everyone that we were on the Saturday boat.  Lucky I decided to check the ticket.  We are actually on the Sunday boat.
Looks like there is no MCG for us on Sunday night. 
Will need to get in touch with Tony Galea to let him know we won't be needing a bed (or piece of land for our bed on wheels) on Sunday.
Said good buy to everyone.  Until next time in Toowoomba.
Left at 10am stopped at the Sorrell markets wow met up with everyone again.  Think everyone had the same idea.
Left there at midday.
Take 2 Port Arthur here we come.
Didn't stop to look at anything.  Will look on the way back. 3pm. Found a caravan park dumped the van and off to site see.
Went on the boat to see the Isle of the Dead, where they buried everyone then.  Went back to camp and cooked dinner.  Back to the ghost tour. 
Wasn't too bad, not to scary but.
Early to bed.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »

Day 18 Tuesday 22/4/14
Woke about 7.30am Packed up and back to Port Arthur to do the rest of it.  Wow the history of the place is amazing.  Finished at lunch time and had lunch in the car park.  Seems like there is still a lot of FE/FCs here on holidays.  Waving lots as we are driving around.  Also lots of Hot rods.
Stopped and looked at all the bays and walked around a few.  Seem to be loosing weight.  Fred's not stopping at enough of these little bakery's that are everywhere.
When to Dootown.  Its a must everyone.  Great place.
Stopped in Dunalley to go to the fish markets.  Was closed.  Got to see the bridge open and a very friendly seal.  Kept going to Triabunna.  Nice little park.  Had to pay $1 for hot water but.  (5 minutes)

Day 19 Wednesday 23/4/14
Woke early made a few coffees for the owner's and neighbour's.  Off again.
Went to Freycinet National Park.  Did a 2 hour walk up to Wineglass Bay lookout.  What a walk all up hill.  Wanted to roll back down.  Had a look at the light house and Oyster bay.  Left at 2pm.  Off again
Went to the Freycinet wine cellar.  Got the desert wine.  Yum.  More wine tours tomorrow I hope.
On to "Ross" lovely little caravan park.  Went for a walk and seen the bridge and church.  Back to came and shower.  Off to the pub for dinner.  Apparently its my turn to cook.  At the "Man O Ross" pub.  Pothole and Blakey are sitting with us drinking.  Think we are going to get kicked out soon.  The barmaid is reading the till.  Its only 8.30pm.  And its bloody cold outside.  We have a big fire going and I don't want to go.
My electric blanket is on 3, so it won't be too bad I suppose.  Had a wonderful meal and finally able to catch up on here.
Talk more tomorrow. 
Hope everyone that is still in Tassie, are having as much fun as us.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »

We just met Lucy the granddaughter of the old owner of the Holden dealership.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »

Quick update before we leave these wonderful shores.  All on the boat.  Sitting drinking with Trevor.  There are a lot of FE/FCs on board tonight.  We have decided to go do the Great Ocean Road on our way home.

ok will go find my diary back in the cabin to see if I can do a few days update while we are stopped.  What an amazing adventure we have undertook.

Candy.... and Fred. Better mention the driver, chief, coffee maker. etc etc. I love you babe when you get time to read our diary

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »

Day 20.  Thursday 24-4-14 Where has the time gone.
I was going to keep this updated everyday.  Here we are on the boat and I'm finally doing it.
Sooooo busy seeing and meeting people day and night.
Got up late 8am.  Didn't want to venture into the real world.  Spent till 11am looking around Ross. Found the Lolly shop.  I'm happy.  Candy in a lolly shop. yum.  OK Fred dragged me out.  Got the photo with the Holden shop.  Peaked into the window.  Wow amazing.  Would like to come back and buy that.  Someone said its $400 000.  If it comes with all the stuff inside it would be worth it.  Had coffee and sausage rolls at the "old bakery" off again.  Made it to Campbell town.  Awesome Antique shop and red bridge with calving's in the trees that had been cut down.  OK 12.30pm see if we can make it any further today.  Headed back to the East coast to keep going.  Stopped at Bichano for Lunch.  Found the Iron Horse Brewery.  Yep another $60. Off again to St Helens. Got some seafood for tea and found a lovely caravan park.  Will get up for the Dawn service tomorrow.  Oyster Kilpatrick, salt and pepper calamari, cheese and stuff.  Lovely dinner in front of the fireplace. Early to be and watched a movie.  It is sooooo cold.

Day 21. Friday 25-4-14.
Up at 5.15am. OMG it is so cold.  There is ICE on the cars.
Really nice dawn service.  They mentioned all the fallen solders from the area.  Very touching.  Went and had breakfast at the RSL.  Had beer at 6.30am and my first hot Toddy.  Did I say there was ice on the cars.  Man its cold.
ok back to camp shower and pack.  Off to the Bay of Fires.  WOW. this place is amazing. If anyone is still in Tassie and going that way make sure you go to The Gardens and check out the rocks.  I will put up pictures.  wow.  Ok back on the road.  Stopped at The shop in the Bush.  Fred got 3 newspapers.  from the 1968s.  One of them was on Charters Towers.  Fred got it, we will donate it to the museum there. Stopped at the cheese shop.  More money.  Lucky for our big Angle fridge.  Then a beer at the pub in the paddock.  Seen a calf born.  Mode our way to Low Heads.  Nice park.  Tried to see the penguins.  But had to pay so didn't see them.  Brian and his wife were at the caravan park.  Said bye to them again. Watched another DVD.  Early night.
It rained and blew all night.  We thought the cyclone had finally got us.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »

Day 22 Saturday.
Not much sleep.  Up and down all night with the wind.  Lost one of the shades.  Had to get up in the middle of the night and go find it and fold it up.  Finally got up at 9am.  Don't know how we are every going to get up for work in a week.  Off again, off the George Town for a look, Looked at Grinelweld at the Swedish township then to Launceston.  Had a look at the monkeys in the park, and Cataract Gorge. Off to Deloraine to the 50's café.  Again wow amazing.  The owners are into hot rods.  Starting collecting about 25 years ago and opened about 5 years ago.  Checked into the park.  Went to the pub to watch Cowboys and the Eels. (might I add Cowboys won) sorry Fred.  Bed, my god its soooooo cold.  Bet there is ice tomorrow. 

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 09:38:40 AM »

Ok skipped a whole day, will get back to it as it was a great last day in Tassie.
We left everyone this morning in Melbourne. Had a coffee with Trevor before setting off on Fred's short cut home. Via The Great Ocean road.
Off we go.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »

Ok a little worried.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »

Tick. Another one done. Can we go home to nice weather now.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »

ok today is
Day 24 Monday.
After completing the Great Ocean Road we turned off and made it to Camperdown.  Another lovely place to look around.  All craters and lakes.
Found a second hand shop with petrol bowsers and over priced auto memorabilia.
Sick of cooking so opened a tin of soup for tea.
Will now add Day 23 so can get back on track. 

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:52 PM »

Day 23 Sunday.  Very sad our last day in Tassie.
put this a few posts back.
Woke about 8am We slept beside the train line.  That was exciting when the train came through in the middle of the night.  Tooting at every crossing.
And again first thing in the morning.  Surprise there is ICE again on everything.
10.30am and off again.  Nice easy one today before getting on the boat.
Stopped at a markets and at a Cheese shop and a chocolate shop.  Then decided to keep going to Bernie to "take 2" there.  Makers world, More cheese and whiskey there. As we where heading back to the boat found one last berry shop.  Stopped for afternoon tea.  Walked around the back to check out his Combi's.  Interesting guy.  Got more chutneys and jams.  Much to Fred's dismay.
Off to the boat - finally.  Caught up with some Victorians before boarding.  Who would of thought that people with no idea about football could be soooo nice........ Wow heaps of FE/FC's and a couple Rods.
Had a few drinks and dinner with Trevor before retiring to our lovely cabin with a toilet and shower.  No getting up in the cold to go to the toilet.  Leaving Trevor to his poverty seat.  Apparently no sleep had by him.  Mind you Fred had a really bad night too.
Up early today.  Monday, said bye to everyone and off again.
Back to Day 24.
Awesome day.
Was worth the 400km detour.
Just planned our trip home.  Have 2772.4 kms to go.
Going to go via Bendigo.  Was there last November and remember seeing a few Antique shops I want Fred to see.  So not really sure how far we will get.  Oh well that is what holidays are all about.

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »

Lots of driving to do Fred and Candy....  My sister lives in Townsville, has for the past 20 odd years.  Are you stopping at Ballarat on the way thru to Bendigo?  If you do (and have the time), give me yell (0481 200 164).  Would love to meet you, specially after pulling the pin on the nats as my car was not finished...

Cheers, Graeme
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: