FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:01:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jolls FC Ute Project  (Read 17775 times)
Jolls
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »

Hi Team,

Been lurking on this site for a long time wating for the righ project to come along. Finally after many years of searching I found this old girl wating to be restored to her former glory.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0w7g0-KF_1VIOyzHuSuFvSqHmkoUdih/view?usp=drive_link

She is an honest FC ute with a tiny bit of rust to be repaired at the base of the pillars and around the fuel tank. She came complete with 95% of what is needed to get her back to life including a full rare spares rubber package.
On the parts fron she is only missing a front bar, the spare tyre tailgate lock and the choke cable. However, one of the bumperettes is damaged and I doubt if it can be saved. She also didn't come out with indicators, a radio or a heater so I will look to upgrade her in those areas. The door cards and kickers are shot so will need to replace them and there is no floor coverings. The seat is in good condition but covered in some hideous curtain material so will need recovering at some point.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qaKnkewniVSldXG7T3Y1308Pb99FPBP/view?usp=drive_link

So after the small rust repairs she will require a lick of paint and a refresh of the grey and the box and she could be back on the road.
I plan to redo the head to have larger ports and 202 valves to match with a set of triples (yet to source) and extractors.

Looking forward to getting this old girl back into work as our "quote ute".

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Gman

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 10:29:26 AM »

Very tidy looking ute!!

Can't wait to see more pics

Gareth.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 11:47:50 AM »

It's good to see a new project on here. It sounds like it shouldn't take too much time and effort to get on the road.

I don't know where you are located, but I have a very good rear floor section  in Adelaide, and travelling to Bendigo in early November.It may be what you need to repair around the fuel tank, although if it is only minor, it may be overkill. I also have a bumperette that could be repaired for rechroming. Passenger side.

Anyway, good luck and look forward to seeing progress.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 01:58:17 PM »

I have a very good rear floor section  in Adelaide, and travelling to Bendigo in early November.
It may be what you need to repair around the fuel tank, although if it is only minor, it may be overkill. I also have a bumperette that could be repaired for rechroming. Passenger side.

Anyway, good luck and look forward to seeing progress.

Hi Errol
Thanks - the rust overall is minor so I should be able to TIG/MIG in some plate with no worries. My bumpertte is in similar condition pus a dent. I will see what I can do to get it back into shape and weld up for rechroming and see where we go. Jus tnot sure I'll get the crease out. I will certainly give you a bell if I have no success.
Cheers

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 02:39:01 PM »

Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of research in preparation for the resto and I think for as many questions that I have answered others have popped up.

So for a bit of background I owned a couple fo FC Specials in the 80s. One I sold on, the other hard a worm grey, then a hot red, was the car my wife and I used at out wedding and was unfortunatley written off in an accident around 85. This search for a suitable project car started back in 2017 when I discharged from the Army and ended up here some 6 years later. I have only owned specials so some of the questions I am about to ask are based on a bit of ignorance in relation to standard/commercial vehicles and a lack of information on the web.

My reseach tells me that I am looking at a 59 model and it is likely that the engine supplied with it is the original donk that was fitted.

FC-2106-3116-S                                Vehicle is an FC Utility, the 3,116th manufactured in Sydney, NSW.
352-648                                                The Exterior Trim Code (352) describes this car as Single-Tone: Cape Ivory.
The Interior Trim Code (648) refers to:    Fall Red.
256-2158                                               The paint colour is Cape Ivory (in DUCO Lacquer)
FC-40432-S                                       The vehicle was assembled during 1959, and was the 39,432nd FC (in any bodystyle) assembled in Sydney, NSW.
L560726                                               Manufacture date (based on engine number) is April 1959

What is left of the door card is Fall Red with a grid pattern. I assume that pattern was for the standard vehicles as both of my previous FCs were specials and had the two tone cards with chrome trim. I have not identified anyone advertising door cards in this pattern; although my research hasn't been extensive. If anyone knows of a trimmer doing this style of card it would be appreciated if you could pass me the details.

I have looked over the electricals and have done some limited testing. She seems to be in pretty good order electrically. However, I was surprised to find that there is no indicator switch or flasher can and there is a NASCO blanking plate where the mechanism in the honey pot would normally be. I assume that the standard/commercial vehicles did not have indicators fitted at the factory and mine remained that way. Can anyone confirm this for me?

The dash and part of the interior has stripped of paint and etched primed. In the standards was the entire interior/exterior painted in a single colour or was the top of the dash in black as per the specials?

I don't have any remnants of the roof lining, bar the ribs. However, I do have four visors in poor condition that appear to have the standard white longrain finish. Can someone confirm that that would be correct for a 59 ute and if you have a link/giude to some reference materieal that would be even better.

I don't have any remnants of the floor covering or the finish behind the seat and up onto the parcel sheld. I assume thas would have beenblack vinyl with a GMH symbol in the centre of the floor where the inspection plate is. Can I buy this style of covering? (I haven't found it in my research so far). Does this continue up behind the set and up onto the parcel shelf or is there a different finish or material.

My last question is parts related - I have working locks in the ignition and glove box. I can't get the passenger door to lock yet but that could be gummed up but I expect that I can get the wafers redone to match. What I don't have is a lock for the spare tyre gate. I nearly fell over backwards when I saw the prices on Fleabay. Is there an aftermarket solution at a reasonable price until I can find something with a price a little more in line with reality?

A lot of questions up front I know - but that should be the big download. From here on in I trust that I can push forward with limited reachback - but great to know this forum exists in times of need.

Cheers

Jolls

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 06:42:38 PM »

My 1960 FB ute had no indicators either. They were optional, standard on Specials. Also have a very early FB van which does have them. You should find the wiring is in place to the rears at least. At some stage well into FC production the flasher setup was changed from blinking the top, brake light, to the combination reverse light at the bottom. Chassis number you quoted is quite a late one I would have thought. Have you read the date codes on the driveline and or glass, assuming original of course?

I think the top of the dash was painted in cinder grey satin as per steering column and on Melbourne cars, the firewall. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Door trim you describe is FC standard and commercial. No arm rests or frivolities like that for goodness sake. Prolly no cigarette lighter either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 07:04:13 PM »
+1

Ah yes, the spare wheel door lock. Made by Lockwood, cast out of pretty thin pot metal and subjected to much use and abuse. They are thin on the ground. I bought a cabinet lock from Bunnings which does the job and fairly inconspicuous. Just needed to enlarge the escutcheon hole in the door, if you know what I mean. No pendulum cover, and sits proud a bit. Keep your eye out for an original one at not more than say $120. You’re pretty lucky if the door itself is good.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 07:17:40 PM »
+1

Obsolete Rubber Mats in Melbourne. Martin Figo is an enthusiast and supplies better than original reproduction rubber mats which really set off a restored interior. I can’t think why anyone would put carpet in an old Holden, although I did it myself in my foolish youth.

The mat only goes far enough to disappear under the fully extended front seat. There are seperate short pieces for between seat and sill, with no further trimming I don’t believe, other than the parcel tray. The ute seats were trimmed just over the rear top bolster, with a sort of cape that snugs in under the rear window with the aid of a wire bow in the edge, similar to a hood bow. This is long enough to be just fully extended when the seat is fully forward, and when the seat is in the rearmost position it folds down in the crevice between the back of the seat and the cargo wall.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 07:24:27 PM »

Someone will pipe up soon regarding the interior trim. I recall Glen Stankervis had a roll of head lining but may have been green. SMS fabrics in USA have most stuff, being Chevrolet derived however can be a pain to deal with. Winners have a limited range of reproduction seat and other trim, but ouch on the wallet.

Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 08:28:33 PM »

Hi Errol,

Thanks so much for the info. It is gold and sets me up for success - I'll look into it all as I progress.

I have the cape on the back of the seat, I assumed it tied into whatever was at the back fo the seat - but now you describe that it ties in with the window the wierd looking roof bow I have makes sense. I trust that I can simply have the curtain material replaced with a "Fall Red" vinyl.

You are 100% correct in the cigarette lighter department as well!

Not sure how original I want to go yet - I have found some after market door cards for specials with arm rests that may just cut the mustard.

Thanks for the lead on the floor covering - wasn't going to go carpet it is a ute afterall - having said that my VY SS has carpet - more of a poser than a real ute!

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 09:36:02 PM »

Well that's right, carpet is for commodores.

philwreck
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 10:02:45 AM »

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
 Errol could you please contact me re:rear tank section.
Philwreck.   0416081109.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 12:28:53 PM »

Done

Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 08:19:41 PM »

Hi Team

I have gone through the wiring and I definitely don't have any of the optional fittings. I do want to add reversing lights and indicatos for practicality.

It is my understanding that the reverse light switch is the same through to HR. Can anyone tell me if the mounting brackets are the same too or if I need on specific to an FE/FC?

Cheers

Craig

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2023, 09:24:46 PM »

All the same, probably even up to HK crash box edition.

Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2023, 09:57:49 PM »

All the same, probably even up to HK crash box edition.

Thanks mate.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2023, 04:03:42 PM »
+1

Hi Team

I have gone through the wiring and I definitely don't have any of the optional fittings. I do want to add reversing lights and indicatos for practicality.

It is my understanding that the reverse light switch is the same through to HR. Can anyone tell me if the mounting brackets are the same too or if I need on specific to an FE/FC?

Cheers

Craig

You won't have wiring all the way through to the taillight and park lamps, but the loom in the car should have the wires ready to attach to. You'll need to change the globe holders in the park lamps to twin filament like a Special has, but there's no obvious external alterations required. (Unlike an FE, which has the parkers in the headlamps like an old VW, and so the blinker bodies just aren't there at all on Standards and commercials).

Your ute predates the introduction of orange rear lenses for the indicators, so what wiring there is would be configured for the flashing brake lights. You will need to run more wires through the body and tray if you plan on using the lower part of the taillight for indicators. Rares may have the lenses in clear or orange, or you can use orange globes behind the clear lenses.

If you don't have the FC Workshop Manual, you should get yourself one. (The original Holden one, not the Gregorys type). It will pay for itself many times over. It has wiring diagrams, and much other useful info.

cheers RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2023, 09:10:05 AM »

You won't have wiring all the way through to the taillight and park lamps, but the loom in the car should have the wires ready to attach to. You'll need to change the globe holders in the park lamps to twin filament like a Special has, but there's no obvious external alterations required. (Unlike an FE, which has the parkers in the headlamps like an old VW, and so the blinker bodies just aren't there at all on Standards and commercials).

Your ute predates the introduction of orange rear lenses for the indicators, so what wiring there is would be configured for the flashing brake lights. You will need to run more wires through the body and tray if you plan on using the lower part of the taillight for indicators. Rares may have the lenses in clear or orange, or you can use orange globes behind the clear lenses.

If you don't have the FC Workshop Manual, you should get yourself one. (The original Holden one, not the Gregorys type). It will pay for itself many times over. It has wiring diagrams, and much other useful info.

cheers RET

Thanks RET.

I have both the Gregorys and the Holen manuals from when I owned my previous FCs in the 80s. Thanks for the head up on the wiring. I will probably set up the rear lenses in white for reversing lights and wire them through to the location of the reverse switch. I expect I don't need it to get rego as it never came out with them and will install the switch when I find one.

Cheer n Beers
Craig

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2023, 12:14:52 PM »

Sometimes it is better and easier to comply with current expectations in my opinion. The youngsters at the rego check often don’t get concept that there were ever cars without indicators. That also applies to the red light indicator option. As RET says using a yellow globe  it the white lens is a good solution.

As to the reverse lights they certainly won’t care. They’re nice to have, not that they are much use.

Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 01:12:43 PM »

Sometimes it is better and easier to comply with current expectations in my opinion. The youngsters at the rego check often don’t get concept that there were ever cars without indicators. That also applies to the red light indicator option. As RET says using a yellow globe  it the white lens is a good solution.

As to the reverse lights they certainly won’t care. They’re nice to have, not that they are much use.

Good point, something I will need to think about some more - also saves me ahving to find the reverse light switch!

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: