FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fred and Candys Diary. Townsville to Perth 14th Nats 2012  (Read 53100 times)
freddyc
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »

Left Townsville Friday 23/03/12.  Heading to Mackay.  Not to sure from there as lots of road closures.  No plans, no hurry.  How wonderful.

Townsville North Queensland
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:13:36 PM »

Us on the Burdiken Bridge and looking out.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »

ok lets start.  Day one.  Went to work on the Friday got home and left at 5pm.  Fred spent all day trying to find out what roads were open.  We were going to go out to Mt Isa then through to Ayres Rock but was told that road would be closed for a few days.  So decided to go to Mackay and see what happens from there. The Burdekin Bridge outside of Ayr was up high.  We have had so much rain no wonder everything is flooded.  When we got to Proserpine it started to rain heavy.  Yep the car still leaks.  Also thank god for Rainex because these windscreen wipers have never worked properly.  Decided to book into Miners Lodge in Mackay for the night.  Didn't want want to set up the camper trailer in the rain.  Got to watch Eels play Panthers.  But was a pretty bad game so maybe we should have stayed in the rain and Fred would never have seen his team get smashed again. (Sorry Fred)  Bed at last.

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »

Go Freddy  Go Freddy..... Go Parra... ooopps  Cry

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »

Hey Candy.
Thanks for posting updates and pics.
Will be following on for weeks.
Good luck, hope all goes to plan.
Regards
Alex

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »

Good luck guys will be watching with great interest.
cheers,
Graham
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »

What an adventure you will both have, I always enjoy the drive to the Nat's, the uncertainty always adds to it all.

Again enjoy, we will be watching your adventure day by day, I depart Adelaide on the 1st so will either see you on the road or at the Nat's.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »

Were looking forward to your safe arrival in Perth Fred & Candy.
Hope you have a great trip. It's a big country with lots to see. Cruising across in the wagon just makes it SOOOO much better  Grin
Driving trips in old Holdens across the country soon becomes as addictive as owning them.. You just can't stop at one  Roll Eyes
You will soon be planning which road to take when you drive to Tassie in 2014.
After 5 drives across the Nullabor Cathy was insisting we catch the train in 2014 but we've already started planning the drive  Cheesy
We will enjoy watching the diary posts of all the Eastern staters as they make their journies to Perth.
Looking forward to lots of happy snaps

Surferboy & Cathy

cruisin's great with a 58
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »

Saturday 24/03/12 Day 2
Left Mackay at 8.30am road to Emerald open.  So going that way.  Mass distructions of the mining industry, coal mines all the way.  Clermont was Awsome got to see the open cut mines close up.  First bit of water over the road was outside of Clermont.  Had lunch Clermont, Egg sandwickes and plunged coffee.  Yes we have the plunger and fresh ground coffee beans.  Think we are finally starting to mature nicely.  All I have to do is to talk Fred into getting real coffee cups, not these plactic travel mugs.  6000kms to transform him properly.  Went through heaps of bugs.  Can't see through the windscreen.  Got stuck 12kms outside of Emerald.  Theresa creek up.  Arrived around 1pm.  Report: might be open tonight if not tomorrow morning.  setting up the camper.  Went to the first creek crossing for a look.  Fred striped off and had a bath.  Funny my photos disapeared off his camera.  Will have to start using mine for things like that.  As we were sitting having coffee a Helicopter started flying people from one side to the other.  These miners have too much money.  We heard $300.00 a crossing.  Talked to a few of the people stuck, couple of beers and curried sausages then turned in for an early night.  Few guys decided to hit the piss, stereo up loud and found some firecrackers.  God I hope their battrey dies soon.

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »

Sunday 25/03/12 Day 3
Up at 6am cars starting to drive around.  Main roads turned up to go access the bridge.  Walked around with our pipping hot coffee to say hi to everyone.  Some people were annoyed we had a lovely warm bed and hot coffee.  Not sure whats wrong with people.  We are roughing it.  Road Report at 8am: Bridge has some damage and will need fixing before they open it.  Great 4 hours around.  Packed up and headed off.  Few more kms to put on our tally.  (Trying for the furtherist travelled)  Got to Emerald at 12.30pm WHICH WAS ONLY 12 KMS AWAY!!!!!! Stopped at the information center to see if we could make it to Roma.  Yep all good.  On our way again.  Passed a bus about half an hour out.  Talked to him on the 2way.  FFFFFFF Road is not open at all.  Back to Emerald again.  Got a few supplies more fuel and headed to Barcaldine.  Finally left Emerald at 3pm.  Hope we don't see Emerald again any time soon.  Got to Barcaldine at 6.30pm fueled up and stopped for the night at a caravan park.  Hot showers, yes.  We traveled about 800kms and only got 323 kms from where we were yesterday.  Hoping tomorrow we can finally get to NSW. 

Thanks everyone for your posts good to hear from you all.  Will upload so photoes when I get faster internet connection.

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:28 AM »

Hey Candy.
Time to buy some souvenir coffee mugs.
Regards
Alex

JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »

Hey Candy, how many times you been through Fred's music collection?? Or do you get to choose? Lol

Phone +64 223509263
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »

Wink Well guys if you don't make the "furthest travelled" trophy you might get the "hard luck" trophy.  I hope all goes well from now on. Cheers Hotlips  Wink Wink

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »

Hi there ... Really enjoy these stories ...looking forward to the updates and wish you smooth sailing ...no pun intended ...

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

Hi there ... Really enjoy these stories ...looking forward to the updates and wish you smooth sailing ...no pun intended ...

a big "X 2"...   more please Fred and Candy!

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »

Nothing like a BIG road trip, have a great time.
Cheers
Deano

FE and FC"S rule.
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »

Fred & Candy

Great story so far Grin Grin

Look forward to the many updates and some of Fred's photos.

Cheers

Craig D
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »

Monday day 4.
Left  Barkie at 6.45am.Good trip.  857kms in the one direction.  Listened to awsome 80s all day.  Seen lots of Emus, sheep, cows, Kangaroos and dare I say it a plague of Locist.  Nearly collected a flock, heard, pack, murder, school?Huh of Kangeroos. anyone know this one?  Thought one was going to hitch a lift by jumping on our camper.  Lucky just missed.  Thelmas been traveling great.  100 to 110 kms an hour pulling the camper all the way.  We have 4 cigerette lighters with a 60ltr fridge, phones, laptop, GPS and car fans. Thats why we love these cars. Short range fuel tank is a pain in the bum.  Can only get 300kms to a tank.  So at least there is know fatigue.  Made it to Bourke at 5.30pm, NSW at last.  Cooked a beautiful 500 gram steak purchased from Blackall. Couple of beers and bed what a life.  Hoping to get to Broken Hill tomorrow night.  Night all. 

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »

Hey Candy
Mob of kangaroos.
Sounds like good progress.
Please keep the updates a comin.
Pics, we need pics.  Grin
Regards
Alex

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »

Yep Candy keep it coming everyone is enjoying travelling with you. No wonder your only getting 300Km to a tank with all of us along for the ride.
Cheers,
Graham
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: