FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:26:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Manual 2 Auto  (Read 5005 times)
Vinnie Biankin
« on: January 10, 2004, 10:07:12 AM »

Guys
Is any one of you running an auto? because i needs to change the 3 speed manual into an auto. Having air conditoning, will the 138 grey be adequate for pullin' or would the best bet be a 149 as not to go through mods eng. cert etc  for a bigger motor. Not concerned about burning rubber as such but as my main concern would be keeping up with traffic etc.
Your thoughts and ideas on this matter would be highly regarded.
Cheers
Vin

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 01:10:33 PM »

To change to auto you will have to enlarge the tunnel, mate up an auto gearbox ( trimatic probably ) to the grey, run transmission lines to the radiator, change your steering column or put in a floor shift, change you pedal assembly and it will be very difficult to find a compressor setup that will bolt onto the grey.  An auto with a/c on a grey will leave it quite breathless, so it may be better to just go to a HR front end and then you will be able to run a red motor which can handle it no problems.  Good luck.
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 01:09:21 PM »

Thanks
Air compressor etc has already been done and works well. However you and others are right about the overall benefits of the red and i have commited myself. Just a pity about the Grey as to it's uniqueness.
Cheers
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 02:09:12 PM »

Can u show us photo's of the Grey with Air cond.

Regards  Seb

Yellow Knight

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 01:29:05 AM »

Hi Vinnie, I am also planning a grey with auto & air for my FC standard wagon, would appreciate any info you have re the air.
At this stage I am thinking of using an EK - EJ hydra-matic, although I have been advised against this.
For the motor I am using twin Strombergs & a mild cam to help offset the extra load on the grey.
I have replaced the entire front floor with a strong rust free EK Auto floor & attended to some other rust work but thats as far as I have gone.
Regards, Gary
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:04:07 AM »

Under dash unit and condensor is from a wrecked HQ
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 09:10:39 AM »

And d compressor and initial bracket is from a colt.
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 09:14:58 AM »

Sorry for not responding as i only just stumbled over my posting. I had aquired a compressor and the bracket that included the belt tensioner. found a few mounting holed to the bottom of the block next above the sump. I had to extend the bracket to allow for the alternator to sit up on top of the set up.Hope this helps. Vin/
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 09:40:12 AM »

Thanks for the update & pic Vinnie, looks like you are well on the way, have you decided which auto you are going to use yet?
Regards, Gary
earlie
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 11:12:25 AM »

Looks good vinnie,  should be good when finished.  Hydramatic or trimatic - that is the question??
It is a bit more stuffing around with flexplates etc but maybe a trimatic may be worth the extra trouble?

I will wait for the next instalment.

earlee

Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 03:17:11 PM »

Guys
Ive put in the trimatic with a B&m Trick shifter behind a 192 red with twin strongbergs and an exhaust manifold from an early commodore, still in the process of getting some of the gremlins out. I keep forgetting about this site as i like to try things myself first and then ask for second opinions- a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully will work out final touches this weekend and start on the facial.
Vinnie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 03:36:49 PM »

Here's a pic
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 04:18:42 AM »

Great to see the progress Vinnie.  Sing out if we can help.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: