FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:16:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tappet / Rocker Cover Stud / Bolt  (Read 2639 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:17 PM »

Hi All. I have done a substantial search on the site and can't see any reference to a slight issue that I have had for a while and would like to rectify (Yes one of those holiday tasks). I have an alloy tappet cover and the studs / bolts are barely long enough. I would like to to have longer ones.

I bought some longer bolts (high tensile) with the unf thread with the view of running a die down it to extend the thread and then put thread on the other end which goes into the head. I came across two issues when I was about to this. Firstly as the bolts are high tensile running a die down it would not be that successful. Secondly I thought the other end was unc. On further investigation I was told that these are whitworth thread (is this correct?).

With this in mind I turned to option two. I had a mate weld a section into the middle of the bolt / stud and then turned it down. He was able to do it but he advised me not to torque the bolts town too much as he felt the weld would break.

I know many of you run alloy covers. What have you guys done to get the length in the studs?

Cheers

Rod.
Gman

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »

Not sure of the proper name for them but, you need nuts with a long shank that goes down into the rocker cover to pick up the thread, would have been supplied with the cover. You could have these made by an engineer.
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 02:04:58 PM »

For nuts/bolts that you don't just find in a hardware store, I've often had success with a place called Specialty Fasteners in Canberra. They stock a lot of unique engineering stuff in HT & SS, & seem to be able to source things that no one else is interesting in.
17 Cessnock St, Fyshwick ACT 2609
(02) 6280 7794

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 12:08:47 AM »

Just a quick clarification, is it the case of a lack of thread into the head that's the issue or a lack of thread to bridge the gap to get purchase on the top end. Reason I ask is if you find the right thread at the head end then you could form a sleeved bridge in the centre with a hollow threaded section to act as an extender that nobody sees. As in suspension adjuster rods.  See the pic, where the nuts are, use a hollow threaded piece to joint the fine end if it's a tall cover. Go kart suppliers use these adjuster a lot.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:17:54 AM »

this way you can keep the harder to find threaded head end the same and create a linkage rod as in the pics below. This way it's fully adjustable with any future cover. Id advise putting a bit of locktite.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: