FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:42:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Triples ready to bolt on  (Read 9295 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »

Lets see if these sell @ this price.
Ebay Item #150808829857

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »

Wow these are everywhere out here in the bush

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
pbh0069
sa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:55:01 AM »

only if i win the 70 MILLION on LOTTO this week
 Cheesy Cheesy
2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »

hmmmm they are sweet looking
black57

feratrod
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »

I have a set of triple SUs I'm rebuilding now for my grey. Struggling to get my hands on bits though.

A car on the road is worth 2 in the shed...
FE Standard rat rod
MG Midget
1965 GSM Dart - ex race car
1948 Singer 9
2 1960s custom fiberglass race cars
And a couple of Cyclekarts underway
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:53 AM »

I have a set of triple SUs I'm rebuilding now for my grey. Struggling to get my hands on bits though.

I know how you feel, I wanted to replace my twin strombergs with triple su's but found similar problems. Plus I brought two su's on ebay and got ripped off Angry Angry Angry

In the end I stuck with strombergs and put a set of triples on, I got the manifold from Craig and pieced together three more strombergs (thanks Zulu) from spare carbies so I could leave the twins intact.

After buying new carb kits, manifold, new throttle shafts and linkages it didn't cost near the money this guy's looking for Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Ebay has a lot to answer for, fair enough it has made buying parts easier if you live in remote areas, but the down side is in a lot of instances it has driven prices up.

Mick Cool
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »

on gumtree a triple su lynx manifold was for sale for $180 it sat on there for about 3-4 weeks before i say it was removed

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »

heres a set for 500
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lonsdale/engine-engine-parts-transmission/fj-ej-grey-motor-triple-carbs/340444473

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
black57

feratrod
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »

I went into a carby place since my last post and got quoted $2500 to rebuild the SUs. Guess they are going back in the shed. I'm sure I could get them done cheaper if I hunt around, but looks like it's probably still going to be a fair wack. I may just sell them.

FE Standard rat rod
MG Midget
1948 Singer 9
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »

I went into a carby place since my last post and got quoted $2500 to rebuild the SUs. Guess they are going back in the shed. I'm sure I could get them done cheaper if I hunt around, but looks like it's probably still going to be a fair wack. I may just sell them.

$2500 Shocked Shocked Shocked Have you looked at doing them yourself? Maybe try a restorers club for technical information, when I was really keen on su's I ended up talking to a local who is a Morris Minor fanatic and really well versed in su's. I know some restorers are very one eyed about modified cars but most don't mind helping out, I know I will end up putting a set together one day as I can't leave well enough alone Wink

Mick Cool
black57

feratrod
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »

Mick,

I'm going to get a few more quotes before I give up all together. I priced up the parts to do it myself, and it's still up to about $700, still a lot to fork out if you don't get them quite right, and they can be a bugger to tune. I have 2 sets of twin strombergs to build too if I want to save a few bucks and still get a cool look and note.

If anyone can suggest a place in Melbourne to get parts at a good price I'm all ears. The motor is getting built in a couple of weeks so I need to get something going soon.

Pinky.

FE Standard rat rod
MG Midget
1948 Singer 9
87 velo
nsw-club

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »

I rebuilt my own SU's 1 3/4"  they are quite a simple carb to work on, check the piston for wear and the pistons housing, the other area that can cause some grief is the throttle shaft if it has too much play can cause some running issues, although it is not difficult to get the carb body rebushed and add a new throttle shaft, check the mounting flange to make sure it's flat (if its not use a piece of glass and wet and dry) Make sure you get the metering needle centred properly in the main jet and they usually behave pretty well.  The other thing to remember with SU's is they like lower fuel pressure than what your fuel pump produces Stroms like about 7psi SU's 4psi.
Carburettor Service Co. In Burwood Sydney ( they were also help in suggesting what springs and needles to run) got me the bits and from memory I spent about $150 Midal also do bits for them
People often complain about them going out of tune but those people usually have dodgy linkages, I have run them on lots of red sixes and love them

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:56 PM »

Mick,

You could buy new carbies for $2500!!!

I run tripple SU's on two of my grey powered Fc's - HIS FC - later model SU's with built in fuel bowl and OUR FC - 53 Race car with early model SU's- side fuel bowl.

They are a great carbie when tuned and are very efficient. They must be sinc'd properly, tight linkages, and run with a fuel presure guage 3-4 psi. The correct needles will depend upon what you have and what you want out of your motor, and as 87 velo said spring rates will also make a difference. The length of the intake runners will also make a difference when chasing horse power ie standard length lynx manifold for street through to long fabricated runners for high end performace.

They may sound involved but they realy are a great carbie.

A good link for Su's here - http://www.teglerizer.com/sucarbs/

HIS FC 100 HP

OUR FC 145+ HP

You will need to consider other improvements with the GREY before bolting on a set of tripples. Head work and larger valves to make it breath efficiently and a small cam improvement.  You will be pleasantly suprised.

regards

Weddo
black57

feratrod
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll do a bit more research before I write the idea off.

My Manifolds are very similar to yours Weddo in OUR FC. Except instead of the vaccum tube joining all 3, mine have little outlets that require rubber hose to join them all up...and they desperately need rechroming...

FE Standard rat rod
MG Midget
1948 Singer 9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: