FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 01, 2024, 08:26:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Making my own number plates!  (Read 8753 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:19:04 AM »

Rules are a bit loose on 30year+ vehicles so I am going to use and English site to make a set of plates. White with black letters or vice versa. The reg number I get will be along the lines of "ZV 25001" or I get an age related plate which would be something like "57 C 241". I can't pick the number unless I pay about $700 each to get them out of sequence like "57 c 2106" sort of thing. And, yes, it has to be C and that's the county I am in - Cork. OK for my ute as an FC but not for the FE. As an example below you can see - apart from the reg no - what the plate will look like.

The site is http://www.american-number-plate.com/platemaker/ but if someone has a better one, let me know. I am getting them registered this week so I will have the proper reg number then.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »

So, I have my new rego numbers. I can only take what they give so:

FE is ZV 25665
FC is ZV 25666

I sort of like the FC plates to be honest though some would be unwilling to use them I am sure.

Given the plate layout above, if you could put what ever you like onto a plate, what would you put? The bottom line can actually be 2 lines high if you have more than a few words.

Cheers,
Paul

Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:33:55 PM »

Just ignoring the colloquial meaning of "making number plates", I reckon the design you've got is simple and to the point.

If I could make an observation, in Oz terms like "FJ Holden", "FC", "EH" are extremely well known. I suspect this may not be the case in your neck of the woods. For that reason, it might be worth considering re-ordering the words in the more common "make, model, body" order. i.e. HOLDEN FE SPECIAL SEDAN. Even though it doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily, it's more along the lines of a "standard", if you will.

Having said that, the time honoured phrase: "Holden - Australia's Own Car" is hard to go past in this context. Something like:

HOLDEN
AUSTRALIA'S OWN CAR
ZV-25665
FE SPECIAL SEDAN

Just my 2c

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:13:05 PM »

Spot on RET!!!

Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:28:06 PM »

Spot on RET!!!
I agree, simple but informative.
                            Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »

Sorry to be pedantic here (but that is what I do best)   Wink

While I like RET's suggestion it is wrong.  As per Paul's comments the lower half of the plate can accommodate 2 lines not the top half so "Holden - Australia's Own Car" needs to be at the bottom and "FE Special Sedan" at the top!

I could appreciate though if Paul wanted "Australia" as a focal point at the top.

And I meant to ask - why would anyone not want 666 in their number plate?  Wink

Kathi  

NosFEratu
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »

Aha my favorite number 666666 . welcome to the darkside........FC427..........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »

Just ignoring the colloquial meaning of "making number plates", I reckon the design you've got is simple and to the point.

If I could make an observation, in Oz terms like "FJ Holden", "FC", "EH" are extremely well known. I suspect this may not be the case in your neck of the woods. For that reason, it might be worth considering re-ordering the words in the more common "make, model, body" order. i.e. HOLDEN FE SPECIAL SEDAN. Even though it doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily, it's more along the lines of a "standard", if you will.

Having said that, the time honoured phrase: "Holden - Australia's Own Car" is hard to go past in this context. Something like:

HOLDEN
ZV-25665
AUSTRALIA'S OWN CAR
FE SPECIAL SEDAN

Just my 2c

RET

So, Kathi, This is something like you are thinking with the Australia at the bottom rather than the top.

I must say I do like RET's idea

Oh and notice it was the FC that is the evil one Wink

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »

Oh and notice it was the FC that is the evil one
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

As per Paul's comments the lower half of the plate can accommodate 2 lines not the top half so "Holden - Australia's Own Car" needs to be at the bottom and "FE Special Sedan" at the top!
Sounds like the best option.
                              Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »

Much of a muchness really - I was thinking maybe "Australia's Own Car" at the top and then at the bottom having "Holden" and with "FE Special Sedan" underneath.  But at least Paul has some ideas to think about now.   Cheesy

And you boys all know that FE stands for "F'n Evil" - but I'm feeling generous so I'll let you have your moment of fun!  Wink

Kathi

NosFEratu
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:31:37 PM »

I'm glad we've got this one sorted, what's next?

John Wink

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »

and who says it's sorted?  Huh  Grin

NosFEratu
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »

Yes, thanks for that. Will work out what I think looks the best and post photos when they are mounted.

Cool

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »

AUSTRALIA'S OWN CAR
ZV-25665
HOLDEN
FE SPECIAL SEDAN

Just my 2c

RET

Here is Kathi's version in RET's format.

I do like the idea of being able to put whatever you want onto a number plate.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

I don't think separating "Holden" from "Australia's Own Car" works. On the other hand having the make and model next to the year is probably better anyway...

FE SPECIAL SEDAN
ZV-25665
HOLDEN
AUSTRALIA'S OWN CAR

I wouldn't do it in ALL-CAPS if you have the choice, but from the sample images earlier it doesn't seem that you do.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »

The other possibility not yet mentioned is to use an Australian sized plate, rather than a USA sized plate.  If you wanted to go down that path, you could try http://plateproviders.com.au

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »

I do agree with RET that Holden and Australia should be together - but my interpretation of Paul's original example was that he wanted to make "Australia" the focus.

Anyway - it's been fun - and it'll be even more fun for Paul when he finally orders and then gets them.  Cheesy

NosFEratu
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 07:48:53 PM »

Actually RET - I like your last version and it makes good reasoning as well.

Thanks again.

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:38 AM »

The order went in with the last version but the bottom on one line only, I think it would have bunched the plate too much with 2 lines. Caps was optional but I like caps so they stayed. When they are fitted I will take a pic and post it up.

Thanks for the input.

P. Cool

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:45 AM »

When I ordered the plates something went wrong with their site and they rang me to check what I ordered. I told them and followed it up 5 minutes later with a picture to be sure.

So, the first time they came back the top line only had FE Sedan, so I sent them back.

The second time they were really takin' the p*ss as you can see:

So I rang them and asked them some "pertinent" questions and then they were to send me the letters and I would do it myself - the text top and bottom is only vinyl.

I got the letters and found the font size was wrong, so I cut and pasted etc. and got a reasonable job done.

So here are the finished plates, at last:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: