FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:16:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paint colour  (Read 6033 times)
peterwmh

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2006, 08:40:23 PM »

Does this number relate to a paint colour on FE FC models?  PAINT 2536285

It's on an FB ID plate but there is no reference to this colour on the FB EK colour chart.  I do know it's a 'duco' number, so it's early FB.  Thanks in advance  Cheesy

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:17:25 PM »

I should add the car is black, the current owner says it's original paint.  I pick it up at the end of this week (can't wait!).

Peter

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 03:32:34 AM »

253-6258 is the duco Hi-Gloss Black colour code, as shown here.  This was replaced by Carlsbad Black when the "Magic Mirror" finish (aka acrylic) was introduced.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:23:48 AM »

Hi Peter,
Would like to ID plate ddetails on that when you get it. My old FB Had the FC Black as well. Was number 108 off the production line.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:32:45 AM »

Thanks Rob and RET, here's the rest of the codes (as given to me by the current owner).

Cheers

Peter

FB 225 6205M
TRIM 4 815
PAINT 2536285
ENGIN J134937

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 07:59:40 AM »

Thanks for that info, Peter.
I am very surprised that is such a high number? Well, not a reall high number, but I was led to believe the colour change to Carlsbad was in the first 1000 cars. Your has a 6,000 build number?
Goes to show, you just can never be sure.
I have a nice pic of some Black FC,s FB's & EK's in Hobart I can email you if you like. I would like to see a pic of yours when you get it.

Regards,
Rob J

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 09:24:09 AM »

Interesting hey!  Anyway here's a pic as sent by the owner to me, more to follow.

Cheers

Peter

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 09:25:49 AM »

Another view

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 09:28:23 AM »

And the 'business end'!  Oh and if you can supply me with some black FB and EK pics Rob J, that would be great, please email them to hz308prem@bigpond.com

Thanks

Peter

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 10:20:30 AM »

Interesting looking car.
I can't recall seeing a black FB with a white roof before.
Is the roof colour original?
Regards
Alex

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 11:34:47 AM »

Hi Pete,
Looks good! Has a couple of extras I see. That little "H" medallion is one of those hubcap centres for the FB caps. They were offered as a dress up item & companies such as "Autolux" & "Tilli Products" (Both well known Flash kit makers) used them in their kits. I have some pics here somewhere, showing the "H" medallion in exactly the same spot on another FB.
There is one picture on the way now.

Alex,
Haven't seen that roof colour before either. May have been used as a cab in it earlier days, or the other more likely reason, is the black roof got very hot in the Aussie sun. Is that an outback car, Pete? That would explain that.

Rob J

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 08:08:24 PM »

It's been out in the Wimmera (western VIC) all of it's life I'm told, appears from the ID plate that it should have been all black.  Any more pics you have would be great Rob J.

Peter

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 01:31:56 AM »

Yes, originally all black.  That's what the trim code "4" represents.  First used on 48-215s, which explains the really low number.  As new colours/combinations were introduced, they were added to the list of trim codes.  The page I linked previously shows this pattern.  Lots of new colours for FE and then for FC, but a few hold-overs from 48 and FJ.

Magic Mirror Finish was introduced on 20/07/1960, so there was six months of manufacture (roughly 35% of total, maybe 65,000 vehicles) done in nitrocellulose lacquer.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 01:43:52 AM »

Hi RET,
yes, I had seen that it was a while before the paint type was changed, but I had assumed & had been told, that the paint code for black went to Carlsbad early in the piece. Maybe, they couldn't get it right in the Nitro cellulose & waited until the acrylic came in to perfect it? Who knows?

Rob J

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 03:44:34 AM »

Dunno mate, FB/EK is not my forte by any stretch.  But as far as I can tell the FB colours (name and formulation) were either Duco or Dulon, but not both.  The introduction of Magic Mirror seems to have meant a new range of colours completely replaced the old ones.  Some of these might have been Dulon implementations of the Duco colours (such as Carlsbad Black replacing Hi-Gloss Black), but they all seem to have had a name change at the same time.

Who knows how much earlier the paint shop starting experimenting with MM? But the change was officially 20/07/60.

cheers
RET

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 07:57:12 PM »

Thanks for clarifying what I have, much appreciated!  Now it's the long road searching for the bits I need at least initially, eg boot badge, front left bumper section and no doubt more to follow once I see the car!  Wink

Regards

Peter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: