FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 01:28:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why should YOU join a Car Club ?  (Read 2415 times)
HRDivivan
« on: January 31, 2002, 12:20:32 AM »

Many enthusiasts I talk to are often not in a car club.
Sure, they love their early Holden, Ford, Austin etc. but "don't have time" for meetings, Committees or events, or state "my car isn't good enough" !
Now I'll be the first to agree that those who attend the Clubs' meetings usually own a "nice" car, or see the Club as a social outlet.
But there is a deeper reason for ALL car enthusiasts to join a Club... the whole existence of our hobby !
The Association of Motoring Clubs is an organisation that many of you probably don't hear much about, but is effectively the hobbies greatest crusader against those in Government who would like to see us all driving a vehicle 10years old or less !
Our club is affiliated with the AOMC, and our membership numbers are "VOTES" when it comes to the AOMC arguing our rights to drive and enjoy our "more than 10 year old cars".
So you see, if you are a member of a club, you are "counted" as an enthusiast whose vote might be enough to give the Government reason to reconsider scrapping your hobby.
Food for thought Eh ?
Gary Thorpe ( President, HD HR Holden Club of Victoria )
p.s. check out the back pages of Unique Cars magazine for a Club near you... or email me if you're unsuccessful.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 02:26:00 AM »

Food for thought indeed.

These forums are proof that there are a hell of a lot of FE-FC enthusiasts out there that aren't members of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia.

One of the things I've never understood is the logic that "I'll join the club once I've got the car on the road".  We can't stress too strongly that you don't have to have a car on the road to belong to our club, in fact, we have quite a few members who haven't owned one for years, if ever.  But if you're building up a car, whether it's original or modified, NOW is the time to join a club.  Why not save yourself some time, money and trouble by learning from other members experiences.  Apart from the regular 'Parts for sale' and 'Parts wanted' segments at our meetings, there's a wealth of information in club members' heads:
- where to find parts
- what bits from other models fit when you can't find the original part
- where to take your car for commercial repairs
- where NOT to go!
- when the swap meets are on, and which ones are better than others
And then there's things like Club Plates, cheaper insurance and so on once the car is on the road.  But more than anything, it's a social thing.  And as Gary said, your membership counts in the AOMC, (or in NSW, the CMC)

As I always say,

Holden Together,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
keith

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2002, 01:03:15 PM »

hello there keith here im in the market for an fe or fc holden ive wanted one for a long time now ,  im 44yrs old married and me and the wife and daughter luv'em .
i want to keep it for a family car , only thing im worried about is my Qustion if you can help ?? what are your thourghts on what there trying to do with putting all the old cars off the roads  ect theres been a bit of talk  going on about it in Q.L.D, here lately may be you could let me know your veiws  and any info you may know about it . as we dont want to buy one then it has to go off the road mhh  well thanks for your time hope to here from you soon  regards keith and Family. :-/
HRDivivan
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2002, 10:15:49 PM »

Hi Keith,
            I don't want you to misinterpret my previous post as one of "Doom and gloom".
 I'm in Victoria, so if someone in your state knows something I don't then it's best you talk to a local Club about this topic, but it's certainly not on the cards for now.
 The question is this... do you intend to drive it daily or as a "Club" car ?
  I you answered "Club Car" then there's little chance you'd have to concern yourself over its forced redundancy.  If you said "daily driver" then if anything happens you would probably have to make it a "club car".
Either way it wouldn't be forcibly removed from you !
Chin up and keep looking for your own peice of Australia's motoring history.
We all hope to see you driving with us sometime soon.
GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: