FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:27:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Modifing hr front end  (Read 2750 times)
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »

Has any one moved the the top pivot point(wishbone) down to help make the front ends handle better
regards fatboy

fatboy
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »

Yes.

I have done this on the HR front end that is going into the our FE van and also on the HT front end in our Vette.  It is a lot easier on the HT as all I had to do was drill holes 25mm lower on the shock tower.  On the HR I cut the whole tower off and and trimmed 25mm off the bottom and welded the tower back on.

I used a camber/caster gauge to locate the tower before I tacked in place.  This way I have 0 degree camber and 3 degrees postive caster with only a couple of shims.  The down side is you need shorter shocks but HQs are shorter and you may need to trim the y frame a couple mm as the top wishbone is now located where the YFrame is spotted together.  If I remember properly I have now got a better:
  • roll centre location
  • postive caster
  • negative camber curve and
  • increased tyre to mudgaurd clearance

Hope this helps.

regards

Nosferatu's darker side (John)

NosFEratu
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:07:49 PM »

Thats excellent just need to no if you took any pics of before and after .Are you running a front or rear mounted rack
regards fatboy

fatboy
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:14:24 AM »

Er duh - before pics (if I'd taken any) would look like a standard front end! Roll Eyes Grin 

The car is currently being mocked up with a V6 chev and as soon as it gets blown apart for painting components I'll post some pics for you.

It's running a rear mounted rack with LC LJ Torana steering arms.  To clear the chev starter motor I've pushed the motor back through the firewall a couple of inches - except for putting chassis rails in, this means a small block chev would actually bolt straight in. 

John 

NosFEratu
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: