FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: trans tunnel crossmember  (Read 3603 times)
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2002, 11:05:49 AM »

I have just fitted a trimatic to my fc ute by cutting the tunnel open down the centre flaring it open 2.5 inches then welding a strip of metal back in to fill the gap.As well as this I had to remove the peice of the crossmember that runs across the underside of the floor and up around the trans tunnel.I have fabricated a whole new crossmember that I had planned to install inside the ute but have just been told by a mate that I can use a peice of 6-8mm (aprox 4"wide) plate bent to the shape of the tunnel and welded in the same place as the peice I took out to regain the strength of the origional crossmember.Has anyone seen or heard of this being done before. Tongue

He who hesitates is lost.
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2002, 05:33:31 AM »

Hi Weedy
One of the FJ club members up here when he fitted a red motor to his FJ had just what you suggest done by a local "engineer", worked fine and was passed with flying colours by ACT rego. They are harder than NSW on modified vechiles.
See Ya
John.M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2002, 06:17:51 AM »

Hi Weedy,
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

Model: FC

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2002, 06:20:12 AM »

Sorry about that

i F you have already made a new crossmember piece use it mate itll look better and will be alot stronger than a flat piece of steel

seeya
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2002, 07:09:48 AM »

Hey fellas,

Thanks for the replies,Ihave just spent half an hour under the ute and have decided to plate the origional crossmember as described and in addition Im going to make another full width  crossmember out of RHS and install it about a foot back from the origional one which luckily will place it directly above the gearbox mount,making it a lot easier to make a gearbox crossmember.Two crossmembers is probably a bit of overkill,but better safe than sorry i s'pose.

Tongue

weedy

He who hesitates is lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: