FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:24:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 4 speed colum  (Read 5099 times)
FantaC

Model: FC

loose nut

https://www.facebook.com/
View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2003, 02:05:49 PM »

Hi guys
           is there a 4 speed colum that would fit an FC and a all ozzie gear box  Huh
thanks

FantaC Customs
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 04:36:55 AM »

I don't know of any columns that are available, it would be a fairly difficult problem to engineer because of the position of the reverse shift linkage on the gear box. I helped a friend fit a 3 speed all synchro to an FE a while back and we used a HT 3 speed column (which matched the box) and it still hours of bending and shaping linkages to get it right. I think you may be better using a modified floor shift which will operate with the bench seat. I had one in mine and it worked aceptably but looked daggy. Eventually I went for buckets and a conventional shifter.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 10:16:11 AM »

The only suggestion I have is a few Jap small trucks (TOYOTA?) had 4 speed column shifts which may be able to be adapted.  These also have the collapsible column which is a must for engineering if you change the column from FE/FC.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 12:19:04 AM »

For what it's worth Mk I Cortina also had 4-speed column shift.  No idea whether it could be mated up to a Aussie 4 speed though.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 12:45:30 PM »

There are quite a large number of 4 speed colums available from late model Jap vans, most are collapsible type with multi-purpose switches etc. It would not be hard to adapt  any one of these columns to an FC.

The problem lies with the linkage set up as all of the jap boxes have selectors on the right side of the box and a complex set of activating linkages.

The Holden 4-speed has its forward gear linkages on the right side of the box and its reverse shift linkage on the left rear, it would be extremely difficult to arrange a linkage which would reach this selector lever given the close fit of the gearbox to the floor pan.
Cheers
Jockster

FantaC

Model: FC

loose nut

https://www.facebook.com/
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 01:16:34 PM »

thanks for your replies guys
could i use a short cable for the reverse
and maybe have the linkages on the internal side
of the firewall
would love to keep the stock look, 3 on the tree

FantaC Customs
Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 11:59:45 AM »

Well if you are determined and have the time and patience to experiment, there is very little that can't be achieved in modifying a car. A cable sounds to be a good idea, but you would need to use a proper gearshift cable that will push and pull and be long enough and flexible enough to reach down to where you want it.
Good luck, hope it works out, I would be interested to see the completed article
Cheers
Jock

stevo56

Built Not Bought!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 10:36:27 AM »

Why couldn't you use the existing 3onthetree, and a separate lever for reverse.
First would be where reverse was, etc.
Not difficult. Surely.
Email me and we'll discuss this properly.
I'll even get off me ar2e and have a go at it for you.
You've got me intrigued enough to do it.
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: