FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:32:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake distribution block  (Read 2527 times)
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:13:39 PM »

Guys I have a HR Disc front on the car and need to know if the brass distribution block has to have the brake lines coming out in any particular order.The car is pulling hard to the left under brakes and the left wheel gets hot and the right does not. Changed rotors pads reconditioned calipers TWICE, bled the system. Any clues.
Regards
John
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »

There should be no order its all under the same pressure.

Sounds like residual valve is still in the master cylinder or the rubber line to the calliper has collapsed or a blockage.
Pull it out and try blowing air thru it.

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »

John,

Put the front of the car up on stands.
1. With the brakes off, spin the front wheels by hand and note the amount of resistance to turning.  Should be in the range none to very slight.
2. Apply the brakes very slightly (one index finger on the pedal) and get an assistant to turn the front wheels and note the amount of resistance to turning.  Should be the same both sides.  If one wheel turns as freely as in step 1 above, you probably have a blocked line or hose.
3. Apply the brakes hard, then release the pedal, and note the amount of resistance to turning.  The brakes should release immediately.  If one side doesn't release immediately, I'd suspect a partially blocked hose, but one which acts as a non-return valve.

If in any of these tests, you find one brake which is quite hard to turn, loosen the bleed nipple and immediately re-tighten (obviously with the brakes not applied).  If the dragging brake frees up, you have a blockage in the hydraulics.

There are a couple of other things you should check anyway -

Master cylinder should not have the check valve.
Blocked compensating port or insufficient pedal free travel.  Back the master cylinder pushrod off a turn or so and re-do the tests above.

And then there are some subtle things -

The brake pads should be a free fit in the calipers.  Sometimes the pads' steel backing is badly stamped, and you need to file the sides of the backing so the pads are a free fit in the calipers.

Are the brake discs running true?  I did an HR disc conversion on my EK years back, and bought new discs.  The brakes were crap.  They pulled to one side, and it got worse the hotter the brakes got.  I tried new pads and rebuilt the calipers, all to no avail.  Until a guy at a brake place said, "bring the discs in, we'll machine them just enough to true them up," and I thought, "As if."  But I took the discs in, they machined them, and magically the car pulled up straight.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »

Thanks guys excellent direction will follow through, thanks so much.
John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: