FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:48:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Frank  (Read 264302 times)
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »

Another update (updates equal progress  Grin Grin Grin)

The underside and engine bay have been sandblasted, which revealed a bit of rust and the previous owner's fairly dodgy attempt at piecing together a chassis kit and transmission tunnel Undecided

It needs a new RHF floorpan (via Ebay) and some attention to the left, as well as a new transmission tunnel (via Waddingtons) and a new chassis kit (via kiid61 @ the FBEK Forum). Then it's time to undercoat in PPG black undercoat, then cover it all up with Steinschlag (I think that's how you spell it)  Wink I'll get some pictures up soon.

Hopefully it will be ready in a couple of months. I've just started playing footy again (real footy - Aussie Rules) so my spare time is quite limited.

I think I've found my wheels, too:

If you squint they kind of look like Tasmans. Just not sure if I want them in 15" or 17".

I'm ticking things off the list - up next is for a Rod's Rack Torana rack to go in (thanks for the Torana rack Glenn M, and thanks for putting me onto it, JB), then some bigger discs, a new fuel tank and an exhaust system. Stay tuned!

Ol_Girl_58
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »

Oh yeah,

I got some tramp rods from Ace, too- when they go on, the FC is going to look retro cool  Grin Grin Grin
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »

Love the wheels Josh, a little bit of Dragway about them

regards

Weddo
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2011, 10:07:26 AM »

Im with Weddo, great choice if wheels Josh but for the love of god dont put 17's on it!!!

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »

Hey Josh,

Another vote for 15's, I feel 17's just look too big.

Dean.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »

Photo time!

Sandblasted belly:

Covering up the bare metal:

The poor old fellow, looking worse for wear:

Interior gutted, ready for RHF floor pan, trans tunnel and mounts for the Corvette seats:

Thanks for looking  Wink

Ol_Girl_58

PS I'm going with 15 inch wheels. 
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »

Hey all, another update! No pics today, but will try to get them up in the next few days.

The chassis kit arrived from kiid61 (who is building the 22" wheeled EK on the FB-EK Forum); after a bit of mucking around and trial fitting during the week, it should be in for good tomorrow. The floorpan and trans tunnel are the next jobs to tackle, which should happen during the week.

I bought a pair of drop stubs from Stubtech, and a big brake kit to go onto the stubs. I have sent some parts away to Rods Racks so get converted, too.

I've got a mate with an XU-1 circuit racer who has talked me into circuit racing and time trialling the FC when it's done, so I'm looking forward to giving the car some curry.

I've had a bit of shit happen in the last week, so I anticipate I'll be working on the car a lot more to stay busy and keep my mind off it. Hopefully that means I'll get the car done quicker.

Photos to come.

Cheers,

Josh
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »

We had some progress yesterday. But would you believe it, my camera/phone died today. Bugger. I regret getting sucked into the funky live wallpapers and Angry Birds playing capabilities of the HTC Desire, and should have opted for the iPhone instead.

Anyway, I spent a fortune on NC nuts and bolts, one half of the chassis kit is in, the old trans tunnel and RHF floorpan have been cut out, and the diff and springs have been removed. There's just something awesome about grinding and making noise.  Wink

Targa Tasmania is on at the moment, so today I spent a few hours watching the cars drive past my place (how cool is that!). Watching this stuff makes me really eager to get the car on the track.

Pictures to come (one day).

Cheers,

Josh
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »

Oh yeah,

There is discussion on the forum somewhere about me purchasing a solid centre brass button clutch - and how much of a pig it would be in traffic, etc.

I witnessed my mate's XU-1 with a solid centre clutch in action, and whilst it's not as poofy as a Corolla or Tiida clutch, it's not 'off' or 'on', you can ride it. It should be all good.  Grin

Ol_Girl_58
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »

And as you ride it you will be ripping a big slot into the face of your flywheel  Grin

This is exactly why I use a compromise solution - a cushion button.

Aggressive, but not as aggressive as a full button - which I tried and it ripped a big slot in my expensive yella terra lightweight flywheel. Cry Cry
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2011, 07:22:16 PM »

And as you ride it you will be ripping a big slot into the face of your flywheel  Grin

This is exactly why I use a compromise solution - a cushion button.

Aggressive, but not as aggressive as a full button - which I tried and it ripped a big slot in my expensive yella terra lightweight flywheel. Cry Cry
Craig is yours a solid centre ......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »

Yes it is Mark. The current one is an RPM cushion button and has good drivability with minimum shudder and some slip available.

Under drag conditions it did slip a little on flat changes but protects driveline components by doing that.

It doesn't like going backwards though. Shudders real bad.

GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »

Not sure how series you want to get into racing Josh but with your current list of mods you wouldn't be eligible to run in the TSS so would be limited to club days and hill climbs.

As for a button clutch IMO there are PLENTY of other options out there for a road driven car that will handle the power and still be nice for the road/drive line.  If you want a good price a on a clutch shoot me a PM Wink

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2011, 09:06:21 AM »

I'll consider alternative clutch options. I'll have a go with the solid centre and see how brutal it is. The driveline is quite robust.

Ben, yes, I'm looking at time trials and hill climbs. Do you know some history of my car? You'll have to come and have a look some time.

Cheers,

Josh
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »

Just had a call from Rod Gordon-Smith from Rod's Racks confirming that he's just received my parts. Front mounted rack for the FC will happen soon!  Grin
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2011, 07:05:14 PM »

I hope your not dissapinted with your front mount i hate them and will never go back.

just so annoying when you struggle to get around a round about.

Pete

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »

Front rack has got to be better than stock though, Pete?

I almost went down the rear rack route, but chose front rack because I didn't want to dick about too much with mods to the sump etc.

I'm considering a Toyota/Lexus V8 down the track, too - the front mount will work for this. Plus, I couldn't afford a V6 Conversions or a Rod Teck front end (at the time of planning the project)  Undecided

Josh
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2011, 04:59:05 AM »

Theres only 1 way to find out what they are like i put up with mine for 8 years or so donet get me wrong they make a conversion easy.

But I would have put my draglink back in over a front mount if i hadnt welded the holes up at the time.

It just felt horrible.

I ran a shoestring budget the first time i did my nissan conversion so i used draglink, banjo rear end everything from the VL just modified a sump which is fairly easy..

If you are chasing a rear mount set up a bloke did mine for $500 just the narrowed VB -Vk rack for my wifes EH which will be a stock VS 5litre.

Dont be to put off by the sump they are pretty easy to do i mod a lot for a local bloke that does ecotec V6,s into minitrucks very basic.

Good luck with it all should be a tidy looking car when done.

Pete

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »

Hi all,

An update as such. I got my front brake kit yesterday; a twin piston set up that bolts onto HQ stub axles. Not from Hoppers, but a group that advertise on Ebay. I'll be offloading the HR discs and stub axles shortly. The rear leaves are out ready to be reset. Waiting for Rod's Racks to finish the rack and then the FC will go back together.

No photos. I had my busted phone repaired and now my laptop is broken. Bugger  Undecided

- Josh
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »

Hey all,

Here is the latest photo update. Well, truth be told, the car hasn't been touched fpr a month or more, but I extracted the latest pictures from my phone. Crossy and I spent a few hours cutting out the frankenstein trans tunnel and a rusty RHF floorpan and putting in the chassis kit. The kit itself was easy to do, but cutting out the previous owner's crappy attempt at a strengthening kit and tidying up the undercarriage was more time consuming.

The chassis kit - well, 3/4 or it anyway. It was probably in the background somewhere. I bought it from Justin (kiid61) on the FB-EK Forum. Juston's dad is an engineer and makes the chassis kits from time to time. It's a well engineered kit, and fits without modification. PM me if you'd like more details.

The point of no return:

Mocked up, ready for trimming and final placement.

Finally, getting the rear springs out, ready to have them reset:

What next? Things have been pretty hectic with work, moving house etc., so I gather there won't be alot of short term progress. I'm waiting for Rod Gordon-Smith to finish my rack, then Frank will go back together. The suspension will get rebuilt, the big brakes will go on, and the engine bay will be tidied and painted in my colour of choice; Forrester green or an XP Falcon green.

Once again, HUGE thanks go to Crossy for his time, experience and expertise.

I'll get photos up when things happen.

Thanks for looking,

Ol_Girl_58

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: