FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 09:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rust repair panels and rear spring hanger repair  (Read 3630 times)
rusty58

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »

Hi Folks,
I am looking at doing some rust repairs on my FC and have made a comprehensive list of repair panels needed.
I have a couple of questions: How good a fit are the available rust repair panels, i.e. outer sills and floor pans? Are inner sills easy to fabricate?
Also, the box section in front of my rear spring hangers is virtually non-existent. What is the best method of repairing these as off the shelf sections don't seem to be available?
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:31:30 PM »

howdy fella.

Floor pans and inner adn outer sill panels ae pretty good nowadays, and if at all, just a little trim here or there.

The rear spring hanger bit will have to be fabricated, but what I do...  Roll Eyes is cut the section right out, clean it up, then make the section out of CARDBOARD, then you fold and cut it to shape, then take it to a fabricator and see what they can do. OR listen to the experts here who have done this repair before.  Roll Eyes oh and supply heaps of pics !!!!!!!
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »

Rusty, the Rares floor sections are not a particularly accurate, the strengthening ribs are not as sharp as original, however they do fit.

The outer sill replacement sections are harder to fit and require work at either end, but they can be made to work. Unless you can get NOS ones you don't have much choice. As Yogie said lots of guys here done this so post pics and don't be afraid to ask Cool

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:49 PM »

I agree - the rust repair sections are not 100% but are easily fitted by a competent metal worker. They are certainly easier to fit that making the replacement inner sill sections by hand. The front of the inner sill has a special shape which must be replicated and unless you have fabricated metal before it is quite challenging to get it right since the subframe must meet up and bolt to it.
I assume you have a ute as the section in front of the rear spring hanger is rarely rusted except in utes. So I would suggest cutting some from a sedan or wagon and starting there rather than building from scratch.

Ken
rusty58

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:09:15 AM »

Hi Guys and thanks for all the advice. And yes, Ken, it is a ute! The remarkable thing is one spring hanger section is fine, the other is basically gone. I didn't imagine that this was predominantly a ute problem, so if I have a fair chance of getting a section from a sedan/wagon wreck, I will explore that possibility first.
Anyway, buckle up because there will be plenty of questions to come!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: