FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 09:27:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: extractors  (Read 6738 times)
crossply

Model: FC

Paul Reyntjes
View Profile
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »

Has anyone used these extractors? Ebay Item #360236919226
If so, what is the quality and fit like?
Can anyone recommend any other brands that are good?
Thanks,
Paul
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:31:07 AM »

Paul,

The problem I encountered with extractors on the wagon is that some of the twin carb manifolds - Lanspeed for one - do not have sufficient clearance from the head to allow an extractor to exit properly, ie they are too close to allow a proper bend out and down. For example the Lanspeed manifold has only about 5cms/2" clearance from the inside of the inlet rail to the head. A proper extractor needs about double that. This is the reason I went to the Aussie Speed headers and why this is what you normally see with twin carbs. I would want to be sure that these would fit behind your manifold before I bought them.

I suspect they're like this because the FX/FJ engine bay narrows towards the front so clearance may have been an issue and the manifolds were probably made to fit these originally. With all the space in an FE/FC engine bay I can't understand why no one made a maninfold with nice curved inlet runners for better air flow with enough clearance for an extractor. Why would you make a performance inlet manifold with right angle bands in it? the stock one is bad enough. There is some easy horsepower to be had here.

Hope this helps
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:01:39 AM »

This type may better suit an extractor set up, although I'm sure there are cars out there that have the close in set up, some of the close in manifolds have lugs on the underside that could be ground back or cut off to give more clearance & others sweep up

Paul, why not ask a question, the bloke selling them should know by now if there are any dramas & he has a good feedback score

Good luck with it

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

I had one of those Gary and considered fitting it, however I thought the finish was a bit ordinary so I went with the Lanspeed, but it will work.

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
crossply

Paul Reyntjes
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »

I'd like to use a Lanspeed manifold that i have.
i know it should fit ok with extractors as it ran on my Mates humpy for some time without a problem.
Maybee i should go shopping with manifold in hand to check on clearence.
Would ceramic coating of the exhaust make much difference to intake temperatures?
Maybee a better option would be to spend the extra bucks on a pair of 2 piece headers?
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »

I'd like to use a Lanspeed manifold that i have.
i know it should fit ok with extractors as it ran on my Mates humpy for some time without a problem.
Maybee i should go shopping with manifold in hand to check on clearence.
Would ceramic coating of the exhaust make much difference to intake temperatures?
Maybee a better option would be to spend the extra bucks on a pair of 2 piece headers?

If you were going to purchase the extractors and have them ceramic coated, it would be nearly the same price as purchasing the 2 piece headers, which I personally believe would flow better than extractors with a tight bend. They would certainly look more period, it depends on what you are after, what you are trying to achieve.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
crossply

Paul Reyntjes
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 09:49:34 PM »

I agree Keith, the cost sure adds up.
i'm just trying to beef up the grey and add a bit of bling to the engine bay before Orange. Only really planing cam, carbies & exhaust mods at this stage as the engine is basically pretty good and doesn't need a rebuild.
Has anyone had any real problems with overheating inlet temps with extractors?
Paul
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:52:33 PM »

The cast iron headers that Mark from Aussie Speed makes flow very good I can;t recall the figures on the flow bench , but can vouch at the amount of time he and his crew spend on development to get the best results before going in to production ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »

Paul,

When I raced in series production, with a Holden grey, I never had an issue with overheating inlet temperatures. The inlet manifolds that were used were standard manifolds that had been cut in half lengthways, across the port face and ground out so that more air/ fuel could be fed into the engine, as rules stated that we had to use a Holden manifold. These were than brazed back together, they ran under full throttle only, and operated on Avgas, but never gave a problem. We were allowed to run extractors and most did, although the cast headers were highly sought after even back then.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
crossply

Paul Reyntjes
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »

Well the price was the deciding factor, so i ended up with a set of extractors.
Unfortunately, the ones that I got weren't the best of fit. Roll Eyes A few hours later with a grinder, die grinder, hammer, welder, flap disc, a bit of patience then a bit of swearing and I think the final result will be pretty good. Grin
Paul
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »

Well done Paul. Would love to see a photo when ready.

Regards

Wayne
crossply

Paul Reyntjes
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 11:03:10 PM »

Here you go Wayne,

Cheers,
Paul
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club