FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:06:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: accelerator stuck  (Read 2935 times)
oldgry

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »

Hi all, I have just finished pressure washing the fc and now have a problem with the accelerator pedal getting stuck down? Coincidence?? What I have noticed is the bar that runs accross the back of the engine moves left and right. (While facing the car) When its sitting to the right the linkages that sit under the manifold rub on the bolts sticking out under the carby and get stuck there. Push the bar to the left and no probs. There is a spring on the left hand side on the bar where it goes through the bracket but none on the bracket right hand side. I'm thinking that I've pressure washed it off if there is meant to be a spring there at all?? Hope this makes sense?
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:06:57 AM »

Hi, they only have one spring on the drivers side pushing the throttle mechanism that runs behind the rocker cover to the left keeping the  carby linkage away from the manifold.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
oldgry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:52 AM »

mmmmmm. That spring is there on the drivers side pushing the bar across to the passanger side. For some reason the linkages are hitting the manifold unless I slide the bar torwards the drivers side. Has never done this before until it got pressure washed.
linkages have not been taken off or mucked with as far as I know. Ill muck around with it tomorrow. Picked it up today from getting all the brakes sorted from sitting around and having a booster fitted and other stuff. thought I would cruise home in it only to be met with the accelerator getting stuck.
Ill put some new eyes on tomorrow and sort it out.
Cheers Rick
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »

I would say that you washed out any remaining grease in the linkage. If the arm is hitting the manifold bend it away slightly. But also regrease all the linkage points from the pedal to the carby.

Ken
oldgry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »

Thanks all, I had a muck around with it this morning. The linkage was rubbing on one of the bits that stick out of the manifold. Not sure what it is? Might be to vacuum access?? Filed it away a bit and slightly bent the linkage. Guess what! That bloody squeak that had driven me nuts is gone. It was that just touching the manifold. It was one of those noises that you can't quite hear where it's coming from. Yay!! Car is now all sorted and ready for RWC. The only thing that could be picked that we can find is the front rubbers in the rear springs. Want to try get through without doing those until it's on the road as the springs are coming out next to get retentioned and get it sitting a bit lower and want to do it then. The body is neat but up close the paint is not good. It's got character put it that way. We are building another house at the moment so paint etc has to wait till that's done. Just want to get it out and driving. She has been sitting too long. Cheers Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: