FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:07:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: CORRECT RIM SIZE. HELP  (Read 4289 times)
njf690

Model: FC

heya

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »

GUYS AND GALS

WANTING TO PUT CRAGAR STREETLITE RIMS ON FC SEDAN WONDERING WHAT IS THE CORRECT SIZE TO PURCHASE. THERE IS SO MANY SIZES WHAT TO GET IT RIGHT FIRST TIME.

GOT HR FRONT END WITH HOPPERS COMMODORE DISC SET UP AND VN REAR WITH DISC SET UP. HOPPERS STATE 15' MIN

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »

nfj969,

In a nutshell, it's a difficult question to answer.

Initially, the width of your rims/tyres would be dictated by your state authority. Check with them and/or an engineer.

From memory, the Hopper Stoppers brake system increased front track by 16mm or so (if utilised with a Torana/HR front end) - Ken (mcl1959) is the best person to shed light on this.

A starting point, as you have already highlighted, is that wheel diameter need to be 15 inches or larger. I think Simmons/ROH 3-piece wheels may foul on the Hopper Stopper front brakes and need a spacer, if you were going down this route. Again, Ken is the one to talk to.

I have been quite interested in purchasing the Hopper Stopper front brakes - do you have any feedback regarding them?

Kind regards,

Ol_Girl_58.
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:02:35 PM »

i Will get back to you on that. only ordered them today so we will soon see. i have been looking at them for a while as well and have come to conclusion that they know what they are doing and chasing around of second hand or new parts individual is just to time consuming and costly.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 03:04:02 PM »

In addition,

Under a stock-bodied FC,

I'd go 7 or 8 inch maximum wide rear tyres/rims, with 6 or 7 maximum wide front tyres/rims. However, the width of the rims on your car would be dictated by their offset.

I have custom-built/custom-offset 15 inch ROH 3-piece rims, 15x7 front with 205/55 Bridgestones, and 15x8 rear with 225/55 Bridgestones. The rear has been lowered 2.5 inches and scrapes the inner guards like buggery, even without anyone in the back. My sedan is strictly a two-seater for this reason. It's completely impractical, but looks great.  Grin

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58 

ekute

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »

Gidday ol girl did you pump the inner guard? If you do you will get about 20ml more clearance-could help?
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »

Cardboard, a sharp knife for cutting cardboard and some masking tape.
Jack up the car and start making templates to see what sort of clearance you have. It's a bonus if there are no springs in the front end as it will let you check full suspension travel as well as lock to lock clearance. Unfortunately once you start modifying stuff it's a ripple effect  Undecided

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »

njf690,

Perhaps this will help:

At least it's a visual guide for what you need to measure.

In addition to this, the Showwheels site offers this useful tip:

Wheels are 1 inch wider than the size suggests. For instance, an 18x7 is actually 8 inches wide overall. Width wise, to fit an 18x7 you will need 8 inches for the wheel plus tyre bulge.

ekute, the inner guards have been pumped - it still scrapes though.

Unfortunately once you start modifying stuff it's a ripple effect.

Stinky, this a huge lesson thath I am learning at the moment - I'm in the process of fitting triple webers to my 186 powered FC. I say process, as initially I thought it would be pretty straight forward, but the more I progress, I find more stuff that needs to be modified (or upgraded) to handle the power/induction increase. It never ends... Undecided But it is mighty fun learning.  Grin

Kind regards,

Ol_Girl_58
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: