FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:27:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dash Destruction  (Read 3054 times)
Paul-FcWag

Artist formerly known as Thumper

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2004, 03:15:23 AM »

Catchy subject title hey!!! Grin

Ive just got a new plastic guard that goes around the guages on the dash- i know this housing has a name but cant think of it- im sure u all know what i mean.

anyway i was about to take the old 1 off and put the new 1 on when i realised the screws in the old 1 are from behind the dash and then i saw what i had to take off to get in there.

Aside from this the dash needs nothing doing to it- so im pretty much pulling it apart just to get this on.

Is there an easier way of doing it that im not seeing?
Im not sure that there is, i just thought id ask for a few words of all the wise on here. Wink

ill hope to have pic on here soon- shes nearlly ready to be revealed- in all her ugly glory Grin Grin

any help will be appreciated!

thanks all
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 04:18:38 AM »

if any body is after one of these surrounds i have one for sale fatboy

fatboy
craiga
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 04:27:51 AM »

You'll need to pull the dash out. Under the dash there are two flat headed screws - one either side of the steering column. Remove these, then put your hand up behind and feel for the speedo cable. Undo the knurled retainer and slip the cable out. Put a towel or good thick rag on your steering column, lift off the dash (it lifts UP then OUT) and lay it on the towel. Your movement will be limited by the headlight switch wiring (and maybe the choke cable) but it should be enough to get the screws out and replace the dash fascia. If not, undo the choke at the carby and free the cable assembly, this should give you plenty more movement.

Good luck, can't wait to see the photos.

Cheers,

Craig.
craiga
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 04:28:42 AM »

Fatboy - howmuchdoyouwant?

I need one for the wagon.

Cheers,

Craig.
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 06:37:45 AM »

This realy isnt that hard to do you shouldnt need to remove anything bar the dash panel and speedo cable but I do agree make sure you put a THICK rag on the column cause my dash panel fell victum to thin rag abuse and i had to repaint it.

MICK
FE_STD_WAGON
qld-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 08:05:17 AM »

thumper the most important thing to do first is to dis connect the battery  as there are live wires on the ignition and light switches I would hate to hear the old girl is developing a smoking habit  Wink

regards Mick
Paul-FcWag

Artist formerly known as Thumper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 08:36:16 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys

im sooo tempted to glue the thing on hey Grin

fear not- i wont do that!

all the help is appreciated!

thanks again
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 10:27:04 AM »

Before you pull the dash panel, or put it back, make sure all the dash illumination globes are working, easier to replace while it's out.
Cheers, Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: