FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rego plates  (Read 19581 times)
wilburwilde

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:53:45 PM »

Hi all,

My FE still has the original all numbers plates, all rego'ed up and in SA. Can the Rego details including plate number be transfered to another party being me. The car is registered to my mother inlaw (not that it's a problem), and we were told that the only way to get the transfered across was by will. when we get round to joining will it be a hassle for paperwork and the likes if it stays in her name??

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Will

I wish I had lots more money so i could fix the FE and just cruize ALL day!!
DN2168
nsw-club

Model: FC

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »

I am not going to make any comments on the win-win situation here, no, not one  Grin.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:01:58 PM »

Really a question for Dept of Trans, but my understanding is that standard plates go with the car. DoT are making a killing on the sale of all number plates though so it would be best to check with them.
Historic Rego will most likely be a problem if the car is not in your name, unless you get the Historic Rego for your mother in law  Wink

wilburwilde

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »

Now that had crossed my mind JOD3AN, but i actually get along with her really well.

Thanks stinky, figured i'd ask here and see if anyone has been down this road before first. I will make a trip down to 'Service SA' with her and see whats what.

Thanks for the help guys.

Will

collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:48:50 AM »

Unfortunately money talks these days, all black/white numbered plates go to auction no if buts or maybe's,unless as you stated they are left to you via a will.Bought several cars with b/w plates can not transfer. Been down this track a few times,they used to cost $650 now its auction only they release pamphlets before auction time.Contact revenue SA for more details.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:36:22 AM »

Wow, and I thought the NSW RTA were highway robbers as far as number plates were concerned. That really sucks.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
wilburwilde

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »

Before we originaly got the FE back on the road we filled out a form holding the plates to the vehicle for 5 years as they were luckily still available and the original (before the rules changed) owner (mother inlaw) was still alive. I will call in and see them and see what my options are, problem is even the clerks rarely know what the rules are and they end up making their own rules or just say NO to covr their asses. I guess, once it is off the road i'll do the same again, was only $100 for the 5 years so it's not to bad.

Just looked at the auction side of things as collecta mentioned. It is a sad site to see, 40 plates up for auction, 2nd May at the adelaide convention center. http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/46027/Number_Plate_Auction_Catalogue.pdf

Will

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:40 AM »

I would have thought if the original plates are on the original car and are to remain so, you could keep them?

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »

Wow, and I thought the NSW RTA were highway robbers as far as number plates were concerned. That really sucks.

if it were NSW besides taking the plates off you they'de then charge you for the replacements awell Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »

I know that if the car has been deregistered you have to hand the plates back and things become more difficult, but if the car is registered and it's just a transfer shouldn't the plates stay the same, when you buy a registered car in Qld. the plates come with it.
               Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:51:51 AM »

Unfortunately, Will is in SA and the way that SA deals with the old white on black numeric plates on transfer of car ownership is exactly as Collecta has stated.

So Will's options are very limited if he really wants a white on black numeric plate for his car. It's either keep the car registered in his mother-in-law's name until she departs this world (ensuring it's included in the will) - or - purchase one at auction (he'll then have proprietary rights enabling him to transfer it to any vehicle he owns at any time).

NosFEratu
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »

Unfortunately, Will is in SA and the way that SA deals with the old white on black numeric plates on transfer of car ownership is exactly as Collecta has stated.

Sounds like a typical govt. scam to bleed every last dollar out of us that they can, do you have to pay for your personalised plates every year down there like in NSW.
                     Pedro

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 01:06:09 PM »

Let me put it as nicely as I can in relation to your question about the wanker personalised plates........ never had one, never will have one - so - don't know and don't care! Cheesy

NosFEratu
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »

Lucky we didn't get you a set of them instead then isn't it Tongue Cheesy Cheesy
                         Pedro

F4+
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »

you can bet your sweet bippy on that!  Grin Grin Grin

NosFEratu
wilburwilde

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »

Let me put it as nicely as I can in relation to your question about the wanker personalised plates........ never had one, never will have one - so - don't know and don't care! Cheesy

I am not asking bout personalised plates in any way shape or form, these were issued to the car when purchased new.

Will

crashbox

cruzin in the FC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:54 PM »

So Will's options are very limited if he really wants a white on black numeric plate for his car. It's either keep the car registered in his mother-in-law's name until she departs this world (ensuring it's included in the will) - or - purchase one at auction (he'll then have proprietary rights enabling him to transfer it to any vehicle he owns at any time).

wow , thats b/s  Shocked....... i have my original "B"  black /yellow number plates for my 59 fc that was my first car and still own after 25years,  transfered to another car that has full rego, few years back for its annual inspection the inspector  said that i may have to get my original plates remade due to paint fade...well i never been back to him!....i have previously on other plates repainted em, and with time you can make them look like new ...but its illegle and i can get a on the spot fine .....would you believe i now  have polished  and have waxed my  original "b" nuber plates to look betta...things we do....

"A GOOD HOLDEN IS A CRUZIN HOLDEN"
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 07:55:10 AM »

would you believe i now  have polished  and have waxed my  original "b" nuber plates to look betta...things we do....

trust me, you wouldn't be the only one!  Wink  It also helps when cleaning bugs off them too!

NosFEratu
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 08:04:05 AM »

I am not asking bout personalised plates in any way shape or form, these were issued to the car when purchased new.

Will

Hi Will - sorry but it seems you may have misinterpreted who my response was to.... Pedro had questioned what happened in SA in relation to personalised plates - sometimes threads can take a bit of a left turn and go slightly off topic.  I'm well aware that you were wanting to retain the original numeric plates. 

I was curious though about your original post including something about "joining" and if it was to be an "issue" if the car was registered in another name..... plenty of people have cars registered in other's names for many different reasons - as long as you and the "owner" have a solid agreement then it shouldn't be a problem.  Same goes with insurance companies - but make sure that all the details on your policy clearly show where it is housed all the time, who the "allowable" drivers are etc so there are no problems in the event of an unfortunate accident.

Kathi

NosFEratu
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:09 AM »

Let's get back to Will's original question:  the car is currently registered with the original number remaining on the car.  This is a completely different situation to buying a plate at auction and the agreement that is signed when the plates are purchased.

The practice in SA is that when a car with the old-style plates is transferred to a new owner, the old number is forfeited and a new-style number (alpha-numeric) is issued.  When I bought Jim 6 years ago, it had the original plates on it. At the time (the rules are now a bit different), all I had to do was get a letter from the previous owner saying he had no further interest in the old number and attach it to the application for the number, pay up my $650- (ouch!! - for nothing!!!), sign a new agreement and I got the number back again.

The problem in Will's case is that as the number has been on the car since new, I really doubt that Ma-in-law would have that current "agreement" form in place. (If you look at the link, you'll see that the agreement includes the right for the owner to transfer rights to the number.)

If she doesn't have that agreement in place, then regardless of whether or not Ma-in-law leaves the car and the plates to Will in her will, I reckon that the Department here will grab the plates when the car is transferred after her death and the only way Will will (no, I'm not stuttering   Wink) be able to keep them is to bid at auction to get them - and I believe (but am not certain) that bidding starts at $2,000-

What a bloody rip off

I hope I'm wrong, Will, but I don't like your chances.  Just keep Ma-in-law alive   Cheesy  Cheesy

And if you take that path (keeping the car registered in her name) and want the car on Historic Vehicle Registration, then Ma-in-law will have to be a member of an authorised club (FE-FC Holden Car Club of SA, for instance)

DO NOT make enquiries about the rules for historic vehicle registration requirements at the Registrar of Motor Vehciles. They will not know.  The Historic Rego scheme in SA is administered by the Federation of Historic Motoring Clubs on behalf of the Department of Transport.  The FE-FC Club is affliated with the Federation.  Talk to your club's Historic Registration representative.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: