FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm utterly bemused!  (Read 20949 times)
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:33:17 PM »

Hi all

I know full well that what I'm going to write has the potential to upset someone out there in e-bay land (and potentially Rares) but.....

I've watched in utter amazement a number of people on e-bay lately paying phenomenal prices for a few items and I honestly can't understand why.

I'm probably not telling a number of you anything you don't already know anyway, but, there may be some that don't realise that the FE/FC's (and FB/EK's) have some cross over parts with tri-five chevs so, and with no disrespect meant here ........

why on earth would anyone pay $200 for a "chromed FE FC handbrake" which can be bought brand spanking new from the states for US$19 under the guise of a chromed 55-57 emergency brake handle? Even with the exchange rate and postage costs you are not going to be paying anywhere near $200. 

I can understand people wanting to have that elusive and exclusive NOS item for a resto but if you are looking at having to try and replace some interior bits and pieces that you just can't get at Rares why not check out some of these links below - you might be surprised at what you can find as a suitable replacement - I certainly had fun checking them all out! 

http://www.muttonhollowchevys.com/
http://www.trifiveclassics.com/
http://www.danchuk.com/

Now I know postage costs from the states can add a fair whack to the prices but why not get a few of you to make a worthwhile order so you can split the postage costs.  These places are also a handy resource so you know exactly what model part to look for on US ebay too.

So, hopefully this might help a few people out that weren't aware and if you don't hear from me in the next few weeks you'll know I've really upset someone who's been making nice little profits from a few unsuspecting people.  Building cars is expensive enough without paying a premium unnecessarily.

Maybe we can start a discussion on some of the interchangeable parts, I'm not saying they are an exact replacement but sometimes the next best thing is the best thing if you can't get it locally.  So, I'll start off with a few that I spied:
  • FE arm rest = 1955-56 150 & 210 model arms rests (definitely - they been test fitted to my car!)
  • FE FC seat adjuster knob = 1955-57 seat adjuster knob (& used as a 1958 vette cowel vent knob too!)
  • FE FC front seat hold down brackets = 1955-57 front seat hold down brackets
  • FE FC inner door handles & window winders = 1955-57 same (yes I know Rares has these - just included as one of those useless pieces of info for those trivia nights!)
  • FE interior light switches = 1955-56 dome light switches (not having an FC... I've heard that FC ones are round so check out the 1957 chev ones)

Go check them out and see what else you can find - or - how about sharing your knowledge and/or experience with others.

Kathi

NosFEratu
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:45 AM »

Pretty spot on Kathi  ......and if it upsets a few bad luck what are they going to do  Huh Huh Huh Huh the idea of this forum is to help each other out with information and that is what we do......But freight can be a real expensive $18.00 US for a set of coper extractor gaskets for a small block Chev $42.00 US freight. a lot of companies will only use FedEx now .......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »

I agree totally about the freight aspect.  We always need a number of things (given we're doing two cars) so we're always working out what's available here for what price in comparison to the US cost (conversion and freight costs factored in). Sometimes we buy stuff locally but a lot of the times it works out that we get better variety and better quality goods for a much better price from OS. For example we recently imported a heap of abrasives for ourselves and a friend for well under half the cost that it would've been if we'd sourced them at the cheapest supplier here.

I've just been amused at what some FE FC related stuff has been going for on e-bay - it's as if people have forgotten the links between GMH and GM and the huge US market for 55-57 reproduction parts and that they have never thought to look to the US for potential replacement parts.

And I'm definitely not saying that the crossover tri-five chev stuff is "concourse" approved for FE FC's and FB EK's but, again, if you can't get NOS or an original part in reasonable/usable condition then the next best thing is the best thing IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, we do try to support local business and I'm all for people making money but I'm sure some poor people are convinced that they are buying "genuine" FE FC bits when it is actually tri-five reproduction parts. If anything I hope this makes a few people realise that these "genuine" bits are not in limited supply and that, as soon as one is sold, another will be uploaded for sale.  Hopefully for their own pockets, they will then take this information into consideration when they determine how much they're are prepared to bid for something.   

Perhaps if a group of enthusiasts aren't interested in getting together some bits and pieces for their own needs (or to on-sell at a reasonable price) then maybe Rares could be approached to source some bit for re-sale at a reasonable price.

Maybe I'm too idealistic though!  Huh 

And maybe I'm not as evil and uncaring as I think I am!  Wink

Kathi

NosFEratu
maroon-fc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »

Good on you Kathi, ebay is full of mates lifting each others items to higher prices (dummy bidders), scammers trying to profit from nieve buyers and also postage profiteers- check some ebay sellers postage costs. Don't worry about offending these type of people, I certainly don't. Thanks for enlightening everybody, knowledge is power.
Cheers FC Mikey

Wild thing....you make my heart sing,
you make everything groovy,
C'mon c'mon wild thing.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:43:36 PM »

Hey Kathi
I understand what you are saying and agree it makes sense to shop around wherever you can for the parts you need, both here and OS.
I am not sure why you have bundled Rares into your comments about opportunistic ebayers.
Sure, there are some people selling Rares products on ebay, but they are not actually Rares AFAIK.

There are some down sides that also need to be considered when buying from OS.
- You don't get to see what you have paid for until it lands on your doorstep.
- Items go missing enroute and some suppliers just say "tough, not our problem"
- If the item is faulty at any stage, try making a claim...pita.
- There are a lot of items that are inferior out there....made in Taiwan.
- Payment can sometimes be a problem.
- Packages can take some time to turn up, resulting in extra emails being sent and stress.

Sometimes it is easier to pay a bit more to someone who has brought the item in, get a good look at it before you lay down your cash, you can walk out the door with the item in hand, and know if there is a problem, you can walk back through the door and speak to the salesman.
Regards
Alex

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »

Also stock FE FC handbrake handle is the same as Chevy one - cost is about $20 less freight.

Ken
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »

Hi Alex

I certainly wasn't saying that Rares were ripping anyone off - I buy from them myself - but when I need something that they don't sell I start to look for alternatives! Perhaps I shouldn't have made reference to them in my opening sentence but, given what my overall objective was for the thread, I knew there was potential for people to consider buying some items readily available at Rares from OS suppliers if they were getting anything else at the same time - that's what I meant in my reference. I was certainly not insinuating that Rares were ripping anyone off!

My main aim (as summarised below) was to get a discussion going on some of the cross over GM and GMH items that aren't available through Rares in order to help others find alternatives for any bits they are having a hard time finding.

but if you are looking at having to try and replace some interior bits and pieces that you just can't get at Rares why not check out some of these links below - you might be surprised at what you can find as a suitable replacement ............

Maybe we can start a discussion on some of the interchangeable parts, I'm not saying they are an exact replacement but sometimes the next best thing is the best thing if you can't get it locally....... 

how about sharing your knowledge and/or experience with others.

I thoroughly agree that there are pitfalls with buying OS as opposed to walking into a local shop to buy something - but - when you can't get it locally sometimes you have to look OS and take the risk. Thankfully, everything that we've ever bought from OS in the last 12 years has arrived OK with only 1 or 2 minimal problems that were rectified very quickly - maybe we've just been lucky! 

I'm sorry if I've my comments were misconstrued and actually offended anyone.  In all honesty, I felt physically sick the other night when I discovered that some poor enthusiast had paid over $200 for a chrome handbrake handle that they could have brought out here for well under half that amount if they'd done a little research and/or knew what alternative parts were available.

If anyone else has any information on cross over items they'd like to share - please do so - my aim was to enhance the knowledge and experience already shared on the forum by members. 

And thanks Ken for confirming the handbrake handle.   

Kathi 

NosFEratu
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »

my aim was to enhance the knowledge and experience already shared on the forum by members. 
Do we need to call you Miss Kathi now  Tongue edumacatin the masses  Grin

That's is the problem though, education and research, if you don't use the internet or buy american magazines your scope of things is very limited. I have seen it with LC GTR gear, there's a Grants Steering wheel that pops up on ebay from time to time starting around $300 with a GTR centre cap. Not sure of the value of the centre cap but you could get the wheel over here for around $150 (at the time I worked it out).

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:43:34 PM »

Hi Glenn,

Miss Kathi here!  Tongue  But..... everyone on here is a "teacher" as we all have some knowledge and experience to share!  Tongue Grin Oh now look what you've done - you're making me all warm and fuzzy - can feel the fingers getting ready to be shoved down my throat as I type! It's bad enough I let everyone know how I felt the other night!  Undecided

I understand exactly where you're coming from about the time and effort it takes do the research and, especially, where to start looking.

Maybe because John and I have had more exposure to crossover GM products for vettes, chevs, pontiacs, cadillacs etc we've recognised a lot of "GMH" parts.  Only makes sense given their ties and the ability to capitalise on economies of scale in production. 

There's an absolute abundance of technical information on this forum based on peoples experience and I think it is marvellous.  But, and I'll admit I've not read every thread, I've never really found a discussion that points me towards alternative reproduction parts that aren't available through local suppliers.  I guess I was trying to start a discussion to fill that void. Maybe it's one of those things that's talked about at meetings or with a group of mates - I don't know.   

And sorry, but I'm afraid I can't help you on the late model centre cap! But someone else might be able to!  Grin

NosFEratu
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »

Cold and clueless beats the shit out of warm and fuzzy any day  Shocked Shocked........There are heaps of other way's to bring things in from USA  I have shipped parts down to California and had John Cain land them for me with his regular shipments FedEx wanted $600 it cost me under $150 ...Also Ray Flaherty  from Junkyard Classic is another one who has regular shipments from the US and will allow items to be shipped with his containers [ Bloody Hot Rod on the brain we are talking Local Product ] Having a seniors Moment  ........FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:50 AM »

No seniors moment there at all actually - remember, in this instance we're talking about US reproductions of GM parts that "suit" local GMH cars! So you're comments are definitely still relative.  Smiley   

NosFEratu
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 08:30:44 AM »

I sell a bit on ebay from time to time, and I have come to the opinion that some of the people who purchase items on ebay do not do their homework and find out what parts are actually worth.

For example I sold a battey bracket for an 80 series petrol, these are located on the opposite side of the diesel, allowing for fitment of dual batteries and have a factory look in place of the aftermarket units which do not. Still available new from Toyota (last time I looked) at about $110.00 ea.

The bidding went beserk. It sold for $186.00. I have seen similiar instances where people have paid exorbitant prices, Chrome headlight covers, a pair recently sold for over $70.00, with some blemishes on one of the covers, to buy them new from America is $8.95(USD) plus postage.

These are just two examples that I have seen. I think that in a lot of cases people just do not do their research to find out where they can can get the best deal, they see something that they want on ebay, bid to their hearts content, because they have to have it and ultimately pay much more than the item is worth.

I take on board Alex's comments where he would prefer to go into store and purchase over the counter where he can see what he is buying before he pays for it. If purchasing from ebay or online overseas, you cannot see what you are buying until it gets to your doorstep. It is also then problematic to return items that you are unhapy with. This is when you add the pro's and con's to work out whether you are saving enough to make it worth the risk.

Just my two cents

Keith

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:09:43 AM »

To all

I take on board all comments about e-bay and people not having done research and the urgent necessity to buy buy buy and the issues with dealing OS as opposed to locally but ………

It’s becoming obvious to me, in relation to GM repro parts that are interchangeable for non-available GMH parts, that either
- no-one is willing to share information (thanks go to Ken though);
- no-one knows; or 
- no-one cares

I was just wanting to try and help a little. Anyway, I’ve highlighted a source of possible alternatives for some non-available GMH repros and I think I’ll just leave it at that.   Smiley

Kathi

NosFEratu
Sheriff
qld-club

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »

Good on you Kathi,  your thoughts ARE appreciated.    Mike.
ps.  have you seen the stuff on the http://www.go-kat-go.com/  website.    Mike
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »

Dear Miss Kathi,   Grin

If you ever wondered how your topic was going to be received, just have a look at the volume of interest and responses that it has generated in 1½ days.

Apple for the teacher.

Here's a place that I had a good experience with:

The Filling Station
Vintage, classic & street rod auto parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet cars and 1918-1987 Chevy & GMC trucks.
990 South Second Street,
Lebanon,  OR,  97355   USA

http://www.fillingstation.com

When you order from them, you can request a free cataloguie on CD.

I found them cooperative and helpful.

Like you, I am sometimes amazed at what people will pay for stuff that is otherwise readily available.  Even got sucked in myself once, back in my very early days.  Lesson learnt.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »

Thanks Mike Smiley 

Re Go-Kat-Go - where do you think I got my 2nd set of Hollywood Flipper Hubbies from?  Cheesy Fantastic people to deal with and very good prices for accessory stuff in comparison to what was avaialble here at the time. However, someone on Oz E-bay is now selling them from (I think) 12" up to 15" sizes and for very good prices.  Paul in Ireland bought some from him and was very happy in his dealings with him. He also had a number of other bits and pieces for sale for reasonable prices too - a lot of them had very modest "buy-it-now" too.  Sorry, I can't access E-bay at work but punch in "single spinner flipper" and you'll probably find him.

And thank you young Martin, I'll check out the "filling station" tonight - I'll add their prices to my comparison list of a few things I'm checking out at the moment.  Thanks for the tip......

and you can make that apple a Granny Smith!  Wink 

Kathi

NosFEratu
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »

Kathy,

I love the thread, but I know squat about the American parts... so yes heres a reply but not worth much I am afraid...

Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »

Kathi - here is my take on what is happening.
As an early morning swap meeter for many years, you get to know other buyers and sellers and you always see the same people.
At the club meetings I speak to lots of other people whom you never see at swap meets for one reason or another.
They may have to work, they may have sport or other family commitments, or they just may not be morning people.
But these people still want to buy stuff and are willing to pay more because they understand that you have gone to a lot of trouble to find stuff for them.
What ebay has done is open up the swap meet to this second group of people who can now buy stuff from their lounge room and they are willing to pay way more than the seasoned swap meeter would because he/she knows what stuff is worth and can probably find another one somewhere in a pinch.

But this second group of people is not skilled at finding stuff like the swap meeter is and they don't realise where else to look for parts so the cost just goes up and up.

Does this sound like a reasonable theory? Tongue

Ken
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »

also there's just alot of meet heads Roll Eyes one of my favorites and i've seen it a few times is the generic K mart round edge dress rims second hand with gutter marks selling for well over $100 you can buy them at a spares shop brand new for less than $80
the guy that used to advertise new twist on fuel caps FB/EK type $22 spares shop $10

does have it's good points not long ago sold a carravan owed me $600 would have been real happy just to get that back even offered it to people off ebay for $650, lucky they didn't take it sold for $1150 Grin Grin

hope lightning strikes twice got some drop stubbs on there now tons of people watching 2 bids but the last half hour tells the tale Wink i've seen them sell for as much as $730 which is about $100 more than you can buy them knew for Huh
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 12:04:16 AM »

I agree with you both Ratbox and Ken, we all have different reasons for the methods we use to purchase bits and pieces and the amount we are prepared to pay. I have no problems at all in what way NOS stuff and/or original bits are sold for, and, no issues with what money they fetch as it comes back to the old supply/demand argument.

Hey I buy stuff at swap meets, off e-bay and through word of mouth just like everyone else.  And let me say that I've got no problems at all with people making money from selling things through whatever avenue they do.  And I've sold a few things myself too.

I've got no problems with reproduction items that can be bought locally being offered for auction or a buy it now price for a little more than you would pay through another supplier (purchasing either on-line or in person).  I believe all's fair if the buyer is aware that that item is available elsewhere for a similar price but they choose to purchase it through e-bay and they determine their top bid based on that knowledge. 

I also have no problems with people bringing in reproduction OS parts that "suit" local cars and on-selling them to make a profit - they're doing some of us a huge favour by bearing the brunt of the risk for us.  I just wish some people who need/want these particular parts were aware that they're repro parts and that they should exercise caution on what they decide is their top bid. I know it comes back to the old caveat emptor/buyer beware argument and if people don't want to, or don't know how to, do research then it really is their loss and the seller's (sometimes huge) gain.

As I said before there is an abundance of knowledge and experience on this forum in relation to modifications, work arounds and where to get local repro parts etc but not really anything on suitable alternatives that can be sourced from OS suppliers. I just believe that there is a void that could be filled. 

I appreciate that some forum members have probably never dealt with OS suppliers because their main interests lie in Australian cars.  But I know from snippets of information I have seen on threads that there are some who have varied interests and experience in non-Oz cars that might have come across alternative items but never thought it was worthwhile mentioning.  I guess I was in that category up until I saw the repro chrome handbrake go for a phenomenal amount the other night!  Now, even if it only helps a few enthusiasts further consider the top price they're willing to pay, I think it is worth mentioning.

I know there will always be the argument that some people are not as computer savvy as others but if they're buying on e-bay they've worked out how to register, search for items related to their model car, bid and pay for items all using the internet.  By providing a few links in this thread hopefully some might be able to cruise a few OS repro parts sites and educate themselves so they are as knowledgable as the seller - as they say, knowledge is power!

And finally, I hope you did well on your drop stubs Ratbox!  Wink Cheesy And yes, there will always be those suckers out there who refuse to admit they don't know everything and eventually (and literally) pay the price for it!

Kathi

NosFEratu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: