FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:41:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox mounting  (Read 1803 times)
TAYZ
« on: July 11, 2006, 09:13:05 AM »

I along with Jamie CHISHOLM(FEHOTROD) made a attempt last weekend to get on with a red motor gearbox installation.  The crossmember was cut and also the tunnel was cut out of the floor and a HQ one was cut down and grafted in so as to any future gearbox installations should make it a bit easier.  I was going to install a syncro 3 speed but have now aquired a trimatic to go behind the grey, hopewfully with a high stall converter(will cross that bridge when I get to it. ) Jamie nutted out a way to make a template so the box and motor will bolt to the rear mounts.  Has anyone grafted a HQ rear gearbox mount into an FC at all??  Its been to cold to go to the shed and get under the car so Im being lazy and seeing if any one has, or had any ideas at some stage.  Im hoping that carpet for an EK auto floor should also fit.  I will take some pics this week and put them on under a new thread as my FC is basically now just a shell....................  I will have it back on the road for spring(famous last words)

TAYZ
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 09:23:33 PM »

Hey Tayz,

sounds like you guys have been busy!

Dependent on how much of the tunnel you grafted in..
Use the existing floor crossmember as your attachment structure.

build a channel that slips over this (or use your existing cross member ends).
these will be your main mounts to body which will be held by bolts (add some anti crush tubes).

Then fab a frame to weld to these points.  Mount your trimatic gearbox mount/insulaor to a tongue and weld to the frame.

i will try find some pics of a x member made up like this for a 5 speed to EH floor.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 06:17:11 AM »

Matt (earlyholdenfan) knows more about this than me, but the earlier box (pre commodore i believe) were able to be drilled and tapped, so that you could fit the original grey motor gearbox mounts. I can give you rodger Hancock's phone number as he is the guru on this....pm me if u want it.  Wink

as for the high stall, i know a guy who can modify the original convertor if you still have it (or we probably have one here...) what do you want it to stall at? with that cam im guessing around 2800?   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 06:20:13 AM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: