FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:39:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox tunnel from CRS  (Read 8648 times)
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:27:30 AM »

Hello everyone,
                           Long, long time since I have been here and it is real pleasure to see how every ones wheels are coming along.

My query relates to the fitment of a CRS gearbox tunnel and the cutting and replacement of the arched cross member section.

Pretty sure the arch will need to be replaced as the new tunnel is bigger all round. For those that have done this mod, what did you come up with?

These are my thoughts on what to do, make a new arch out of pieces of sheet, two that are essentially the shape of a rainbow with the third piece for the lid forming an arched box section.

Obviously picking up on the existing cross member points.
I do have a NOS cross member section from sill to sill but would rather not have to cut it up for this mod (not that it would fit anyway in all likely hood)

What are your thinkings?

Cheers all,  M

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:59:01 AM »

Hi i got a piece of 50x5 mm curved to suit the shape of the tunnel $25 from my local engineering shop.If you look under fatboys old school ute you can see it installed

cheers fatboy

fatboy
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:20:45 AM »

Thanks for that info, I could not actually find the pics of the tunnel but can visualise quite easily, did not consider flat bar.

Will jump on the hand rollers at work and see how good I am.

Cheers,   M

Kat58

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 07:25:28 AM »

Before you roll  th flatbar make a cardboard template of it to get th proper profile,this method can save on th headaches later on and ease up on further mods to get it right.
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 12:09:15 AM »

I went and paid CRS a visit ( and yes also paid $113!!!) and picked up a gearbox tunnel. Well I tell you what that thing is huge!!!!

I have only rested it  in position at the moment, will take some massaging to get it right but lots of other work to keep me busy for the moment.

Cheers all,    M

Ps, the CRS website price list is only current to some time in 2006, tunnel was priced at $99 (now $113). When I was there I asked for an updated price list only to be told that they don't have one  Huh Ummmm why not?

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:37 AM »

thats becuase since the change of ownership the at crs the prices have been boing up weekly.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »

sh1t, let me write that again, thats becuase since the change of ownership at crs the prices have been going up weekly.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 08:26:53 AM »

the CRS tunnel is a good size.

try stuffing it full of Turbo 700, the room comes in handy  Cheesy

I paid 70 bucks for my tunnel, way back then...

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Devilrod

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »

I used one in my EK and we did exactly what Fatboy did. The other bonus is you should be able to get away with running EK Auto carpet, from memory the floor pans are identical?! Can anyone correct me on this if I am wrong. Heaps cheaper than custom made stuff. Only thing you will need to do is spend half an hour with the heat gun to remove the moulded section that fits over the internal bracing that the EK's Auto floor pans had standard.

Speed & Style...... One Day I'll get the speed bit!
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »

Thanks for that,
                            Have heard about the tunnel being the same size as the EK so a standard carpet should fit.

So much time, so little to do!

Cheers,   Michael

Rabbitoh
vic-club

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:56:05 PM »

I do have a NOS cross member section from sill to sill but would rather not have to cut it up for this mod (not that it would fit anyway in all likely hood)

Don't suppose you want to sell that X member section?

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 03:26:13 PM »

The other bonus is you should be able to get away with running EK Auto carpet, from memory the floor pans are identical?! Can anyone correct me on this if I am wrong. Heaps cheaper than custom made stuff. Only thing you will need to do is spend half an hour with the heat gun to remove the moulded section that fits over the internal bracing that the EK's Auto floor pans had standard.

Hey Devilrod,

SOunds right.  I also used an EK auto moulded carpet and the trimmer padded up the floor and heated the carpet up until it fit right.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Devilrod

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 09:35:30 PM »

Couldn't attach these before , for some reason I can't get into photobucket at work..

These pics give you an idea of the finished product, these tunnels are probably one of the best buys from CRS as they fit with very minimal work. I know of three in cars around here.

Speed & Style...... One Day I'll get the speed bit!
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »

cool looking car Devilrod, how about sticking some pics in a new thread?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »

Devil,
                Thanks for those pics, truly is a monster tunnel compared to original that's for sure.

Rabbitoh, have sent you a PM as it looks like I have ignored you by not replying to your question here.

Michael

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: