FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:48:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Respect Voting System  (Read 23036 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »
+7

No Probs Shannon.

Also thanks again guys for the negative feedback on my response... can I ask the mods if we can do away with this feedback "respect" system??

I just don't see it as being constructive when an anonymous user can provide negative feedback.  The thread in this case asked for "thoughts" to which I provided some thoughts. 

In an open forum where users can post constructive comments, the fear of negative feedback by anonymous users simply stifles the open communication by imposing a judgement system on comments made by users.

I mean really... did my comments offend or justify a negative response???

it's becoming a pocket pissing contest.

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
+5

No Probs Shannon.

Also thanks again guys for the negative feedback on my response... can I ask the mods if we can do away with this feedback "respect" system??

I just don't see it as being constructive when an anonymous user can provide negative feedback.  The thread in this case asked for "thoughts" to which I provided some thoughts. 

In an open forum where users can post constructive comments, the fear of negative feedback by anonymous users simply stifles the open communication by imposing a judgement system on comments made by users.

I mean really... did my comments offend or justify a negative response???

Ed You are a respected car builder and have achieved what a lot would not even attempt .I would not be to concerned about  you respect score most of us regular uses have been the victim of these cheap attacks with some members loosing as many as 15 demerit points in one attack . I also think it's time this judgement system should be abolished [ hear I go into the negative score again] .....FC427.......

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:11:50 PM by stinky » Logged

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
+5

I have to say I thoroughly agree with you Ed and Mark.  The points thing is one of the reasons we have been very quiet and very loathe to put anything on the forum since it's introduction.   I said my piece then and was ignored - but what would I know?

I believe at times that if people have an opinion or a way of doing something different to socially accepted norm for early models they have been penalised for thinking outside the square - so - because we think a little differently due our wider interest in cars and experiences we honestly haven't bothered to contributed much since it was introduced.

It's more a popularity thing and adds nothing at all to the forum - my piece said again and now I will drift back off into oblivion......... Smiley

Kathi

NosFEratu
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
+2

Your support and wisdom Mark and Kathi, is very welcome, and I always enjoy the exchanges of information amongst forum participants and social banter included!

Healthy debate can only thrive in an environment where it is encouraged. I'm all for constructive criticism.

Shannon, please accept my apologies for hijacking the content of your thread.

Perhaps I am being overly sensitive about it... but I would like to think that any contributors posts are valued in the context in which they are given.. indeed a forum is only as active as the contributions made.

I do enjoy my FE's and FC's.. well maybe FE's moreso.. but if I could turn off these settings in my preferences i would do so in an instant.  I find them distracting.

I'm not sure if the moderators are refraining from comment just to see how it pans out?  I know RET puts a huge amount of time into providing a safe and happy forum, so again, this isn't to be construed as a rant about that.

it's just negative feedback makes me uncomfortable.. and I don't come here to feel uncomfortable.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:49:17 AM »
+5

Finally something has been said. Im sure there are many others that have the same opinion.
  You are all correct it is not a popularity contest. Thanks for your views Ed, Mark and Kathi.

cheers
  Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »
+3

Finally something has been said. Im sure there are many others that have the same opinion.
  You are all correct it is not a popularity contest. Thanks for your views Ed, Mark and Kathi.

cheers
  Scott

And cos you agree with me - I'll give you a vote!  Grin Isn't that how it works?  Roll Eyes Cheesy

NosFEratu
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »
+1

I just +1'd you all...  Cheesy

in the shed
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »
+2

I have to agree with Ed Mark and Kathi.  I do not like this "popularity" voting system. There is a tremendous amount of extremely useful information on this forum and I am sure that all of us have benefited from time to time.  After all everybody has their own views on certain things and should be respected for it.  Sorry for the hijack of the original thread.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »

yep and ive never been so positive Grin Grin Grin

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »

Ditto Keith
heavyduty1340

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
+1

I second all of the above

I have drifted this way from modern ls1 forums because of the peer groups taking over, and negativity from unknowns seemingly coming from nowhere. It all takes away from the community aspect of the forum

Not trying to make any waves, but I really enjoy the more laid back and friendy attitude of these forums with members showing a lot more tolerance for newbs asking often repaetd qu's etc
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 06:31:44 AM »

I SECOND THE SECONDER Grin
I really do not think that there is a need to rank ones input into forum such as this. It does leave a stale taste in the mouth if negative feedback is received for what ever reason. If it's turning people away from the forum and with 3 long standing contributors complaining about it then I think it should be removed. To put a negative feedback on Ed's comment is just petty IMHO.
+1 for Shannon for starting the thread and getting it hijacked Cheesy Cheesy

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
+1

Good points !!!  I don't usually become involved in matters political , however  , may I throw in my 2 cents worth ?

This is the best forum in which I participate  ... and I am a member of several involving my other interests and pastimes .

It is by far the most helpful , informative , well attended and , at times , amusing of those forums and I have made friends with a number of members.

It is , in my opinion , a good thing to give credit and approval when and where due , however the "respect" system , although well intended has the unfortunate weakness that it can be misused ...

I can recall one instance when a friend got "hammered" when he cracked a quite funny political joke ...

Perhaps a system similar to Facebook where posts can be "liked" or credit plusses may be registered , but not minuses Huh

Evidence of the weakness of this system can be seen in this very thread ... just look at the numbers ...

"Out of order" comments could be dealt with by the moderators ...

...just my thoughts ...

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »

This system is childish, counter-productive and something the forum would be better off without...

I treat it with total disdain and complete disregard.

(having said that, I'll admit to casting votes sometimes; +ve ones to every post that calls for the abolition of this stupid system!)

It is also wide open to abuse; consider could happen if a group of, say 8 or so members collectively decided to vote down (or up!) EVERY post made by a paricular member since this system was introduced?? That person could end up with a 'respect' rating of + (or - !) 100 in a very short time!

This sort of shite is NOT what I'm here for, but it sure as hell appears to be threatening what I AM here for...

However I accept that other users may like it, so maybe the Admins could set up a poll on this subject?

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »
+1

Thanks for bringing this post to my attention Jack, I agree with all the above comments this idea is open to abuse by anyone who takes a dislike to anyone on here, that is one of the reasons I too haven't been on here as much anymore but I was afraid to say anything in case I got voted out of existence, I've never given a vote either way and never will, I've only been starting to get back on lately and I notice I've been given a negative vote already, for what I have no idea as I always try to be helpfull and friendly to everyone whether they drive a dead stocker or a wild custom, personally I believe anything that deters people from participating in this forum is bad idea and should be discontinued.

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
+1

I had no idea about the voting system at all so it shows how much i notice
 i cant say i would ever vote on someones comment just seems silly.
Im sure i recieve a lot of negatives i tend to ramble on with shit sometimes but i do mean well and the only reason i use this forum is for help and to help others and the odd joke.

Pete

john253a

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 06:00:59 PM »

Good points !!!  I don't usually become involved in matters political , however  , may I throw in my 2 cents worth ?

Perhaps a system similar to Facebook where posts can be "liked" or credit plusses may be registered , but not minuses Huh

Evidence of the weakness of this system can be seen in this very thread ... just look at the numbers ...

"Out of order" comments could be dealt with by the moderators ...

...just my thoughts ...

on many other forms when liking/disliking a post, at the bottom of that post that persons user name is posted under the like or dislike symbol, and a push notification is sent the post user telling them of the of the post and who liked/disliked their post,
and against the user name they get + numbers and no -, it can only go down 0
I do like this system, as people you freely give knowledge get credit where credit is due, with no repercussions of negative feed back as posters of the negative feedback if unwanted, get there come-uppance

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
+1

I think a poll would be a good idea, I can see both sides of the coin. You upset someone & they could go through all your posts & vote them down. This forum has given me the confidence to do most of the work on my cars myself through the information & support from fellow members. I have also made some good friends & would hate to loose the wealth of information that they impart.

Dean.
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
+1

I'm curious as to why when I came on here anonymously last night my name was already signed in, I went off and back on again a few times and it was still there, It's never happened before and it's strange how it happened after I made that comment yesterday???
           Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 09:33:58 AM »

I'm curious as to why when I came on here anonymously last night my name was already signed in, I went off and back on again a few times and it was still there, It's never happened before and it's strange how it happened after I made that comment yesterday???
           Pedro

The list is -
Users active in past 15 minutes:

Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: