FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:43:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ive got a idea for heaters  (Read 6360 times)
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2006, 02:30:17 AM »

was in at hardware store today and had a brainwave regarding a heater demister for any early holden.

!st... you need a 12v- 240v inverter, wire up to car (maybe increase alternator from 35amp to a 80amp???)

2nd... then you need a cheap 240v house  fan heater
          plug it in youve got heat!!!!

couldnt be easier could it?Huh??  
craiga
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 04:09:33 AM »

Nice idea oh flightless one, but not really possible.

These 12 to 240V invertors are generally only a couple of hundred watts, whereas a heater of the type you mention are generally 2400 watts (10 amps from a powerpoint).

You can get the invertors with much higher output ratings but very costly and large in size.

You been drinking that XXXX crap? I reckon so, because its melted what was left of your brain cells  Grin Grin Grin

Good to see you post here again. How's the other flightless one - your mate Emu? I'm sure lots of guys on the forum would be interested to see how his wagon finished up. And have you got yourself organised with an old Holden since you arrived from the land of the transvestite prime minister?

Cheers,

Craig.
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 10:35:25 AM »

Craig - think you've got the wrong 'kiwi'
craiga
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:38:02 AM »

That's scary, you mean there's more than one of them on here? :-)

Maybe its me that needs a XXXX.......

Cheers,

Craig.
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 10:44:39 AM »

possibly but the one you've just abused lives in Christchurch
craiga
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »

Not sure how it appeared or was percieved as 'abuse' but it certainly wasn't meant that way. Its called a joke.

I'm off to have another XXXX and start up my invertor..........

Cheers,

Craig.
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:26:08 PM »

Hey Craig,

I think that this mistake is easily made as the flightless one you are thinking of has changed his name that many times to confuse us of his real identity... I think this is the only way that he has made it to the land of OZ, and then followed the yellow XXXX road.   Grin Grin

Jason.

I didn't think it was abuse either... after all it is just the eighth state of Australia!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 08:27:04 PM by fevanv6 » Logged

Phone +64 223509263
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 09:41:42 PM »

An easier way is to go to a camping store and buy yourself a 12 volt hairdryer ! No, I dont know why they make such a thing either - however they work a treat as a cheap and simple demister.

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 04:28:34 AM »

I'm off to have another XXXX and start up my invertor..........

GET IT INTO YA BOYS

minifcvan
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 07:49:42 AM »

ive always said xxxx is crap..... anyway fc4kiwi send fcv8 (glenn) and ask him what he used.. its a great idea cheers mark
craiga
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 08:14:56 AM »

Here is what google showed up from an invertor manufacturer's website.

For example, starting from the smallest modified square wave, a 140 watt unit for $90; a 200 watter(500 surge) $150; a 300 watts (surge 800) $196; Australian Made Selectronic, 600 watts (2300 for half a minute) $890; and 1200 continuous, 4600 half a minute, $1650; Most of these are 12 volt, but 24 volt models are also often available.

Sine Wave inverters, although more expensive, offer the ability to run anything that is designed for Mains Power. The smallest one, 150 watts, is just over $400; but the real beauties on the market at the moment are the Selectronic 'Sines', - that's one pictured at the top of this page. There are three models out at the moment with 'Energy Management', The SA22, which runs on 12 or 24 volts, will put out 1600 watts continuously and surge to 3600 watts, cost $2685.

So you could do it, but look at the cost!!!

The 12 volt hair dryer thing works, I think that's what Glenn used. There was also some discussion a couple of years ago about Landcruiser heaters which have the heater core located under the seat. You also see some ceramic heaters advertised on ePay now and then which are said to be designed for hot rod use.

An electric heater is basically a low resistance short circuit and hence draws a huge amount of current.

Cheers,

Craig
bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 08:41:22 AM »

Hi guys!
If your still fishing for heater/demister ideas, I was going to go the 12 v hair dryer route till I found the previously mentioned ceramic  heater.I found it by chance in a Street Machine magazine ad for American Auto Parts in Homebush. I think its called a PTC heater from memory & its about 6'' x6'' x 2'' & NO HOSES!!!!!!
I fitted it up behind the speaker grille quite easily, the hardest part was working the ducting into the 2 w/screen vents & it comes wired with a cig. lighter, so I just rewired it to incorporate a toggle swtch  hot-off-cold.
I cant see it  preventing the beloved jatz crackers from dropping off in blizzard conditions, but it was more than enough to satisfy the transport officer for the engine transplant(I'll probably never use the thing)  Daz.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
trevmc62

FC =fun car

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 09:24:34 AM »

I have idea for you to help delivery right across front/back window get 1/2 inch (13mm) aggie or irrigation pipe and 180 degree nozzle fan spray like you use in garden these are normally black so you can not really notice them as much as if they were white,This can be anchored easily with tie downs. you can get a 12 volt hair drier from camp shops which you can mount under dash with its on/off switch on dash

T junctions you get there with the better half navigating and the missus says "Turn left right here" ?!.....bugger!
chesoir

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »

Ag pipe !
Don't you just love Aussie bush ingenuity.
Like stuffing a flat tyre with grass to save the time to pump it back up.
Absolute genius.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: