FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:47:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lead Sinkers in Fuel.  (Read 9168 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2002, 11:02:59 AM »

I've heard from a number of sources (including mechanics) in the last 12 months that a way to get away from the lead replacement crap is to place 2 lead fishing sinkers in the fuel tank. Apparently they roll around and slowly release lead into ULP. Thought it was interesting. Have others heard of the same yarn. Don't know what the noise would be like of them rolling around.

Rod
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 09:45:06 AM »

Hi Rod,interesting what your saying about lead sinkers in your tank.I use ULP in my hack holdens.
I guess i just figure its cheaper,and it dosent cost much to replace a holden head every 100000kms.
If this is true though i might use that method in my FC.
                CHEERS    BRAD....

1959 Black Std sedan
keithu
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 10:56:19 AM »

Hi guys keith here ive also heard of this by a few old and  young fellas  a mate of mine puts  lead solderibg sticks in his tank  or lead wieghts off old car wheels .
its suppose to work hey ive put a couple in my ol ek and its going ok i am runnig it on ulp unleaded  fuel at present  and i am also fitting a flash lube  morries kit to the carby  cost for the kit is about 65 dollars its an uper lube kit that goes in under the butter fly on the carby   with a drip feed bottle feed's  uper lube oil to the  top end  its suppose to be good ill let you know how it goes . ive heard good results on it by many . cheers keith Wink
keithu
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 10:32:15 AM »

8)Hi guys well just thought id drop in say that these lead sinkers in the tank really do the job hey im running my ol girl on ulp with lead sinkers in the tank and its  running just great  also put adertive in every second tank  didnt put ;ube kit on  easyer this way and cheaper  cheers guys later hey . keithu Wink
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2002, 01:11:16 AM »

Hi Guys, just thought I'd ask the obvious (to me anyway) -  why bother having a lead sinker rattling around the tank (that has the potential to damage the fuel sender) if you're already using an additive?
I'm running mine on straight unleaded with no additive and the performance is much better than with LRP fuel. I've been told by an engine re-builder LRP actually goes off quickly & has a shelf life of only 2 weeks - so no wonder fresh unleaded increases power. The flashlube kit is the way to go with regular ULP though, it'll prolong engine & valve life. When I upgrade to the bigger engine I plan to use an octane booster every few tank fulls to help blow out the cobwebs.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
HARKO
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2002, 04:17:36 AM »

Leigh I was informed just the other day that Flashlube is the best or one of the best products out there but was told to avoid using it as a kit and just buy it by the litres and put it in the tank ,Reason being that as a gravity feed kit it can somehow work its way into the feul pump and the Flashlube will eat the rubber plunger and seals eventually causing replacement of this , Just wondering if or how many of these have you been through lately ?
I've also been told that running on ULP is fine for a few tanks so long as you run a tank of LRP in between but this doesnt compute to me because without lubricant how does it lubricate ?
Hope this helps mate ,,,,,,,,,,,Harko
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 05:42:18 AM »

Hey guys, are we talking about grey motors or red motors here??
Cat

Zoom zoom!
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2002, 09:21:32 AM »

Wink HEY HARKO
   I've installed a flashlube kit on my FC and i can't see how the additive can damage the fuel pump internals when it is drawn directly into the inlet manifold by manifold vacuum.I think it is more likely to cause damage if added directly to the fuel tank.
Regards ACE Cool
P.S I USE LEAD SINKERS FOR FISHING ONLY! Grin
« Last Edit: August 21, 2002, 09:25:27 AM by ACE » Logged
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2002, 08:22:26 PM »

Hi Harko,
I'm not running a flash lube kit on mine. Have had an EJ in the past with one but tossed it out 'cos didn't like the way it looked in the engine bay. That was in the days before LRP tho' & nevertheless it did a good job. Have been given the mail mixing it straight in the tank is the cheapest way to do it if you don't mind fiddling about. Best method is to get one of those big bugger measuring syringes stick a long tube on the end (so you can get to the last little bit left in the bottle) and you can add the required amount depending on how much petrol you put in the tank. Have not heard about it damaging rubber tho'.
All that said I'm not bothering to use it much as I won't be doing high miles and it will take at least 20,000 miles before I burn valves & seats. Will use it on the trip to Qld. Nats. to "cover my arse" as a good country drive will warm things up & I'll need the protection then.
Cheers,
Leigh
PS Cat - it's the same argument for reds & greys

Red & white is alright
HARKO
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2002, 07:50:59 AM »

Running this stuff in the tank would dilute the strength where as the gravity kit I refered to was feeding into the carby and when switching off a hot engine it would some how flow back into the feul pump ,Being a higher mix it then corrodes the rubber , So if in the inlet manifold your right I can't see any possible way of getting to the pump.
keithu
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2002, 10:06:37 AM »

8)Hi guys keith here ive been running the addertive in my tank  for a while now ive got 186 in my old girl
i also know the friend of the QUEENSLAND REPS MANAGER FOR FLASH LUBE   AND I MEET HIM HERE A FEW WEEKS AGO AT THE SERVO MY FRIEND IS A MECHANIC AT I WAS TALKING WITH HIM  HE ALSO WAS  A REGINAL MANAGER FOR  LUCAS  WITH SAME STUFF
he tellS me the lube kit is no good and your better of putting it strait in the tank every second tank full .
he  said it does interfer with rubbers and also after a while cloggs up in base of carby and needs mantanaince.
after hearing what he said to me with his 30yrs experience which he has since left the company due to not wanting to tell anymore  blown up storys  about how good its suppose to be  when its not all that crash hot   so to speak . i wont tell you what he did say  really about it  accept its a waste of money putting it on  and he said the best product is lucas lead replacement addertive in the tank  and every so offten add 1 ltre of lucas upper cylinder addertive   when doing oil changes  every6-8 oil changes hope this helps cheers keith from a very good source guys
keithu
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2002, 10:13:10 AM »

8)Hi guys me again just thought id let you know this message above may contradict my previous note here but to let you know when i was going to have the lube kit fitted on the day at the servo my mate is a mech at i then met his friend there who was the previous regional manager i told you about in the  notes above  hope this clarifys abit hey cheers keith. thus i didnt fit the lube kit ? after all i took his advice and my friend has know this guy along  long time . cya.keith Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: