FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fe drum brake upgrade  (Read 2516 times)
Gary C
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »

Iam looking at upgrading my fe drum brakes and just wondering what the best option would be.
The car is shell only at the moment so I don't mind changing brake line sizes,backing plates,wheel cylinders etc.

The fe will be a replica historic touring car so I need to keep the drum brakes.
I spoke to a guy at the last historic meeting at Barbagello's and he said eh would fit straight in with new backing plates then I looked at an eh and he had all hr gear so If eh fits on fe and hr fits on eh maybe I should just go straight for hr?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks, Gary.

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure that HD/HR brakes will go on but you would need to use the full set, ie backing plates drums and shoes from the donor car. I have also seen the backing plates drilled out to allow for extra cooling, but not sure if this would br legal.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »

If you can find backing plates from a HD king pin front end or late EH commercial you will be able to use HR size front linings. This is what I use in my EH. Not sure if they fit an FE front end. I use HKTG front cylinders with HR disc rears. If you go to a racing supply place they will be able to get you racing linings.

Cut the rim off the back of the backing plate and go mad with your drill on whats left. You'll need to source forged drums also. I now use bolts to hold the front linings in place. Make sure you use braided flexible lines.

Have fun!

Colin.

PS: DON'T use standard drums for racing. They WILL shatter.

colt
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »

Gary,

You can use HD front end complete and EH rear end complete, within the regulations.
And as Colin said, source forged drums, don't use standard drums.

regards

Weddo
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:58:56 PM »

Thanks fellas, I will start tracking down some hd king pin or eh commercial backing plates and shoes as suggested.

I wont be needing them for a while yet but it always pays to plan ahead.

Thanks again for the help, Gary.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »

And here's another thought:  If you are allowed to use an EH rear axle complete, then try finding HR ute/van rear backing plates, because the HR commercials used 2-1/4" rear brakes too.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: