FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:18:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HG rear brakes  (Read 2733 times)
56aussie

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2004, 11:07:22 PM »

Hi All,
My car came fitted with HR discs but no booster and original fe rear end.
I need to upgrade the rears and put in a booster.
I was thinking about using hg rear setup.
I'm going to run 14" rear wheels anyway.
Even if i wanted standard hr rears ive got to get the bits from a wrecker, so no cost difference if i get hg instead.
It all looks like it will go together and same effort required either way.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience either way, particularly if my theory is wrong.

All of my tools are hammers,
except the chisels,
they are screwdrivers.
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 02:51:48 AM »

A HR rear is generally the preferred option as the HG rear housing has a wider track which will cause tyre scrubbing problems.
Diffs from FE to HQ are all interchangable with minor bolt hole differences, so there is no real advantage to having a HG housing over a HR housing, other than availability.
14" wheels from HT and HG have the same stud pattern as FE. HQ onwards are different.

Earlee  
56aussie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 04:37:52 AM »

I was actually planning on keeping the original housing.
Just need to upgrade at least the wheel cylinders.
Thought maybe I'd go to a 10" drum, thats all.
Cheers
Tony

All of my tools are hammers,
except the chisels,
they are screwdrivers.
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 06:08:54 AM »
+1

A HR housing will bolt straight in. The brakes will interchange on all models but you need the backing plates  as well as the drums.  By changing the whole rear end you will need to change the rear uni joint to red motor if using HR diff gears.I Dont know if HR diff gears will go straight into a FE housing - I know there is a difference with the size of the housing in that area. For the same cost  and ease of fitting you may as well just use the whole HR or EH diff housing. Some slight saddle differences between  models ( the early style has U bolts and the later ones have plates and bolts)- so get all the bits- and hand brake cable - this will hook up with your standard handbrake  stuff at the front. If you find it a tad  long just pull in the extra length, by attaching the two halves  with a bit of good fencing wire  and fancy wire tying towards the front. I have done this with many of my cars with good results.
On pricing, I find if you start braking down the components rather than just buy a whole rear end the price can be more expensive at wreckers- so wreckers normally make it more attractive to sell the whole part to you.
cheers streetneat
Hows that bonnet looking Earlee? still cant find our snake - must have crawled into your ute....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 06:15:20 AM by streetneat » Logged

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: