FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:29:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: red motor conversion  (Read 3028 times)
57effie

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »

Hi all,

Bought a rusty HT ute today with a really sweet 161 in it. I'm wanting to put this motor in my FE. Any advice on the conversion would be appreciated. I've got lots of questions but this is probably old hat to a lot of you.

1/ Can I convert the engine's mounts to suit the car or do I have to modify the car ?
2/ Will the grey box bolt onto the motor and will I have to modify the tunnel or is it better to use the red box ?
3/ I've also bought 2 aussie 4 speeds. I know I will have to modify the tunnel but how much more work is there ?
4/ I'm looking for a taller geared diff centre than standard if anyone has one

Thanks

Mark
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:22:25 PM »

Mark - you need to weld engine mounts in the FE - grey motor has a front mount where red motor has side mounts.
Grey box bolts up to red OK and allows you to use the original grey rear mounts as well as allowing original tailshaft to stay. No tunnel mods. This is a very easy swap & so long as you drive sensibly the gearbox will be fine - I drove an FC like this for 10 years (my first car)
Lots more work for a 4 speed. Things needed to be done - tailshaft, tunnel, transmount, shifter/seat mods.
Go for a 3.55 with the grey box or 3.36 with the 4 speed.

Ken
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »

Where are you Mark?? I have a good 3.55 centre (Coarse) that I was going to use in my FJ but I went with a 3.36 instead.

I'm in the Riverina area (southern NSW)

Mick Cool
57effie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »

Thanks Ken. Mick, I'm in Kingaroy, about 2.5 hrs north west of Brisbane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: