FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:33:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Re-installing FC front & rear windows GET IT IN WRITING  (Read 6334 times)
stephen

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:07:06 PM »

Hi .. hope this is the right place for this, just going to relate something that happened to me last week with re-installing front and rear windows .. February this year, our Hilux ute needed a new windscreen .. so we thought that when the windscreen mob came down they could pull the front and rear windows from out FC at the same time,.. as we were restoring it .. Instant Windscreens were picked ?? no real reason just heard some good reports about them .. so after making arrangements by phone and getting a quote to do the FC at the same time, we were told they would be down this way ( Victor Harbor) in a week as they regularly came down to do jobs for a major Crash Repair company  .. anyway they quoted $150 to take front and back screens out and $150 to put them back in a few months time .. No Problems , seemed OK to me, they came, did the ute and the FC , nice bloke too... Rang them last week to let them know that the FC was ready to have the screens put back in, and was told will be about 2 weeks for them to come down as the bloke that did them was on holidays, no problems .. after 2 weeks they rang and said the bloke that originally did the screens quit his job, but someone will be down mid morning in a couple of days Wednesday .. Wednesday morning came and I get a phone call from Instant Windscreens saying that the boss will not put both the windows in for a $150, but wants $225 per window !!!!as it was a long way to travel ( Aldinga to Victor Harbor about 35 to 40 minutes, and they came down regularly anyway ?? ) .. Told the chap that rang me ( who also was sympathetic) to tell his Boss something I cannot put in here and asked a local bloke, who was only too happy to get $150 for an hours work .. so the moral of the story is GET YOUR QUOTES IN WRITING ..Just thought I would relate this as I personally think it was wrong,.. if a Company gives a quote they should stick to it ... Regards Stephen
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »

the boss will not put both the windows in for a $150, but wants $225 per window !!!!

Boss finds out about the job, says "here we go someone restoring a car, must be cashed up"

stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:36:38 PM »

I can't remember exact price, but I think my new front screen was around $250ish from instant windscreens.  Couldn't get a new rear one, so I just got it polished.

Cheers
Peter.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »

Boss finds out about the job, says "here we go someone restoring a car, must be cashed up"

or (not making assumptions or trying to offend) old car owner gunna be fussy and pedantic about the job, like most things these days anything earlier than say a '90 model car and tey don't want to know about it Roll Eyes
stephen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »

Hi .. thats possibly what he was thinking as well, but that wasn't the reason he gave for upping the price, ..it was the travelling time / distance .. but they come down this way on a regular basis, and I was quite happy to wait until they came down next time, whether it was a week or a month away .. I personally think it was Stinky's reason .. Old car restorer, he's got plenty of money, lets get as much as we can out of him .. Thats my opinion and  I for one will not deal with them again, .. I have 5 cars, and usually one gets a windscreen each year thru insurance, so will be going to the Irish man O'Brians in future.. Regards Stephen
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »

Hi all,Needing to buy a new windscreen for the Black FC as none of mine are up to scratch (so to speak).... Tongue There was a thread here somewhere that mentioned that someone still does new front windscreens WITHOUT the black band at the top.Anyone know who that was,where they are,how much they cost and if they are in or have a branch in SA?Any help greatly appreciated.Also any preferred installers in SA Adelaide/Barossa etc.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:28:50 AM »

I bought mine with no strip was off a mob here in newcastle was easier than i thought and was around $250 was a couple of years ago now doenst help you much being in SA

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »

Stephen

I have bought a new windscreen (laminated) without the blue strip up here in Toowoomba through a company called Petrena Windscreens. They took so long to get (9 months), not sure whether it was just hard to get or poor service. Anyway I was quoted around $220 when I first enquired. When I rang to check whether they were in I asked them how much and they said $150 so I ordered two just in case something happens down the track.

They are locals here in Toowoomba but they may be able to steer you in the right direction (07 4639 1355).

http://www.petrenawindscreens.com.au

Hope this helps.

Cheers....Craig D
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:04:12 PM »

Jamie, I had my windscreen fitted at Complete Windscreens, 5082 220 Main North Rd, Prospect SA Phone: (08) 8269 4444
It has no band at the top, but they did it quite a few years ago and I have since heard stories about their lack of attention to jobs.
http://www.completewindscreens.com.au/
I drove the car out there and from memory it was a brisk early spring morning  Roll Eyes

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »

Mine was done by Windscreens O'briens in Perth
Didn't cost a penny.  Claimed my free glass replacement with Shannons Insurance
Screen was badly scratched ( "technically" it should be cracked the full thickness off the glass for insurance purposes)
Clear screen with NO tinted band & new rubber
They did it within a few days of me calling them to arrange installation
Had to take wagon to thier workshop as it was a different to normal job and they didn't want to do it on my driveway.

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
amys

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:02:04 PM »

We had Complete Windscreens put a new windscreen in Effie, $225 they were ment to come down on a Saturday morning, but I got a call from the boss stating that the young man he had on that day didn't have enough experience to do an FC and would I mind waiting until the following weekend. I didn't and the gentleman they sent came early, spent a couple of hours making sure the job was done right (he also liked a chat and playing with our staffy), but we were thrilled with the job (clear windscreen, no black or blue tinted bit).
Highly recommend Complete Windscreens!!!
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.Amy,are you also in SA or another state?Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 12:17:21 PM »

Hi Jamie, a previous post says that Amy is on the mornington peninsula victoria.
Cheers Stewy.

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
amys

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »

Yep, Stewy is correct, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria. I saw after I posted that the company is based in Adelaide, but they must have franchises in Melbourne. I think the old guy that came out came from Emerald or somewhere up that way...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: