FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Storage  (Read 5894 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »

So, I have a spare grey engine, courtesy of my brothers neighbour, that came over in the boot of the FE. I noticed somewhere in my travels that someone made a rig for storing their spare engine.

I was thinking of making a frame, with castors or wheels on it, and bolt the engine on it using the engine mount position - this I am guessing as i haven't done this before.

I was also thinking of them storing my spare gearbox on top of this so that I can easily move them around if needed without having to get lifting gear etc.

So - good idea or bad idea? Is there a better way to store and engine? Has someone done this and have any pictures they can send? I am a piss poor welder but have enough to put a frame together for this (I think).

Paul.
 Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:18:30 PM »

IMHO the best long term storage stand that can be cheaply and easily made consists of a rectangular base (the size of the sump) with 4 castors, 4 x 200 mm uprights and 2 x longitudinal pieces which sit under the sump bolts. The whole thing is made from 1 inch square tube and can generally be made from short bits of scrap lying around. A couple of cross braces can be added here and there for extra strength, but it is surprisingly sturdy and and makes moving the engine around quite easy.

Ken
REDMR2RED
vic-club

Model: FC

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »

I just bought an engine stand from Supercheap for $90.00. It is cheap and looks like it, but it does the job quite well. It took a couple of minutes to assemble.  Repco also had them for around the same price.

Do they have a Supercheap type store in Ireland??

Kevin

1959 FC Holden Ute
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »

Paul,
Cut down shopping trolleys could do the trick. (So i've heard.) Just planting the seed.
Regards brett
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

Brett - yours is a plan I can work on. They only cost €1 to get here - cheap really!!

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »

Paul,
Cut down shopping trolleys could do the trick. (So i've heard.) Just planting the seed.
Regards brett

Yeah Brett, sure you have. (must say with a sarcastic voice)  Smiley 

I too have "heard" that they are good for this as well. Smiley   OK I will fess up, I once transported a red motor to a friends place using this method and had a nice walk down a couple of streets in the days before we had our car licenses.

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
IFC.58

I love volkswagons too

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »

ive got 2 at the moment stored on a pair of wheel dolly
you know the ones you sit the car wheel on
so you can push your car around on
they work a treat with a ratchet strap over the top

terry

hey my name is terry  i,m from brisbane
you,ll see me in my blue 58 fc wagon or
my other love a big red offroad baja vw
subaru powered and built to go anywhere
wave if you see me next time
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »

Kens idea is the go, i have about 4 engines i'm sick of tripping over so i plan on making a couple of these, plan on using castors at one end and fixed wheels at the other so it wont be like trying to steering a shopping trolley.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »

How much does a red motor weigh? I want to make up a couple dollys and have some $1 castors from Bunnings, but they are only rated at 25kg each.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »

Stinky Grey engine weight is [374lbs] 169.8 kg with flywheel,clutch and accessories and a Commodore V6 168kg so red must be around this weight.... take the $1 Castor's back and get ones that will hold the weight  Grin Grin ......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »

I just got them because they were cheap and "would come in handy" some day, looks like I'll have to find another use for them unless I use 6 or 7 of them on one dolly  Grin

FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »

I just got them because they were cheap and "would come in handy" some day, looks like I'll have to find another use for them unless I use 6 or 7 of them on one dolly  Grin

just use them, at $1 each it wont matter if you have to replace them at some time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: