FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 12:25:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Project - How bad does rust have to be?  (Read 22913 times)
Neil1958

Located Bahrs Scrub, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »

Good Luck!

How about some nice pics of the car and not just the rotten tinworm stuff?  Grin

They were the good bits  Grin

Nup, will do... am picking it up this weekend...
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 12:49:22 AM »

Your thread doesn't have to end here, RET, Stinky or Graham can move it from here to project cars if you like and it will continue...

Or you can start a new one there anytime you like.  Grin

Cheers
JB

P.S Well done on the start of a new adventure!!!

Phone +64 223509263
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 12:46:14 PM »

This bad Wink

$2,500 sounds like a much more reasonable price Neil, like Jason said mig welding isn't that hard and if you can do it yourself you can save a lot of dough.
                      Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »

This bad Wink

$2,500 sounds like a much more reasonable price Neil, like Jason said mig welding isn't that hard and if you can do it yourself you can save a lot of dough.
                      Pedro

That wouldn't set off too many metal detectors I imagine.

Well I have a mig, and a shed, and some enthusiasm so it should be all good Smiley

I will pick up Saturday and start to look a bit closer... and yes I will post some pics!

Cheers til then...

Neil
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »

I Think they are what you call speed holes

More air coming in for that big fat grey motor.

I seen a fc ute up the coast at a little town opposite the beach the whole ute had sunk into itself i first though it was chopped but no it had rusted that bad it had collapsed into itself.

Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 09:55:20 PM »

Hmmmm I got a quote to soda blast the old girl all panels etc... 3 days for 3k... methinks that seems high??? Comments?

Any other options here in Brisbane area?

Neil
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 10:16:44 PM »

Me thinks your right to much money when the guy at Penrith got his Soda Blast  he was advertising IN OUT AND UNDER $1,200 any car .......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »

Me thinks your right to much money when the guy at Penrith got his Soda Blast  he was advertising IN OUT AND UNDER $1,200 any car .......FC427.......

Cheers for that... I will continue to look. For 3k I can buy a blast unit and hire a big compressor and do it myself Smiley hmmm might have something there...
stapla

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 10:29:21 PM »

Approx $1500 was the going rate in adelaide for a complete FC soda blast.  

I recommend having your FE / FC done with soda first and then a light blow over with sand.  

The sand gives the paint a good rough surface to bite to.  Some paint companies are a bit funny when it comes to soda.  

A good blaster is likely to use old sand to give the best results.

Most importantly you need a good blaster that you can trust.

Cheers
Peter.
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 11:28:15 PM »

After doing the rust repairs on my car,I feel like nothing is too bad.Having said that,I wouldn't really want to do that much work again if I could help it.I contacted my local Soda blast place here in SA and he told me that Soda blasting does not touch rust,it only removes the paint so I had my car sand blasted which left me with nice clean steel....with big rust holes in it...At least then I could see what needed to be cut out.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 07:13:46 AM »

After doing the rust repairs on my car,I feel like nothing is too bad.Having said that,I wouldn't really want to do that much work again if I could help it.I contacted my local Soda blast place here in SA and he told me that Soda blasting does not touch rust,it only removes the paint so I had my car sand blasted which left me with nice clean steel....with big rust holes in it...At least then I could see what needed to be cut out.Cheers,Jamie.

Hi Jamie,

Yes I found your project thread the other day and sat and read the story... it partly convinced me to take this one on, not because I have the skills to do it to the standard you have achieved, but because I could see that it was possible... I just have to work out how Smiley My thought is to have the panels etc soda blasted, and then make a rotisserie and have the sub frame and nasty bits grit blasted... well that is the idea at the moment. Having said that, if I can find someone reliable close to home, I will grit blast the old girl, but will do the flat panels the old fashioned elbow grease way. I did like the look you had with your car after the blasting... as you said, it showed you what you were left with even though they were big holes.

Once I get her home and stripped out, I will have a better feel for what I want to do I think. I have contacted some more local companies for an idea on costs,so will see what that brings in.

Let the fun begin!

Appreciate you taking the time to drop a line.

Neil
stapla

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »

Another tip.  After sand blasting make sure you get it etch primed same day if possible.  The car will start to surface rust straight away if any moisture in the air.

Cheers
Peter.

Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »

Hey Guys,

Been a while since my last post and update on the project... it is all but stripped down to the basics. As expected, the rust is of some concern, but the main area for me is the ends of the outer wishbone sections. I almost know the answer to the question before I ask... can these be repaired? do they do a rust replacement section or am I better off looking for rust free sections from a donor car?

As always, your assistance is appreciated.

Neil
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »

I would replace them. Rust will be worse on the inside where you can't see.

I have a set of inner and outer legs for sale for $50 plus postage - a lot cheaper than the new replacement parts

Ken
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »

Hey Guys,

I am looking at the floor pan replacement sections (I will need to do all 4)... there seems to be a couple of suppliers on eBay. The prices seem similar. Does anyone have experience with the quality of each? From reading the forum, and speaking with some guys, the fit will not be perfect (far from it I am lead to believe), but if I can find the better option it might make it a tad easier.

Cheers,

Neil
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »

You got two sets Ken  Huh

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up