FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Carbies  (Read 2761 times)
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2013, 06:09:52 PM »

Just spotted I am missing one of the breathers in my Carbies. Do I need 2 or is one fine. If I need 2 has anyone got one? Thanks in advance.

Regards

Wayne b
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »

G'day Wayne,

Sorry for the slow response... didn't see the post. The breathers in the photo are the fuel bowl vents. They are needed to allow the fuel bowl to breathe properly. The carb will run without them, though from memory if they are pulled out then the vents are under the choke plate when the choke is shut... not the end of the world, but not great either.

The vents are a press-fit. One of the main causes of them coming out is when dodgy overhaul shops use acid baths to clean carbs (to get rid of dirt, ready for nice shiny replating), or when ultrasonic cleaning is used too heavily (local cavitation is caused at some parts of the carb, eroding it). Ash (from the FX/FJ forum) has recently had the same problem. Far better to clean with kero/thinners and put up with a bit of residual carbon smudging (IMHO) than the have sexy shiny carbs with loose fittings.

Did you get the carbs profesionally cleaned or overhauled? If so, would be interested in a PM of who did the work (to compare to Ash's horror story).

My main worry is that the other carb may also be loose - grab the vent and give it a bit of a pull with a pair of pliers. If it comes out on the road, it may well get sucked all the way into the cylinder  Angry.

Not likely to find a replacement/spare part for the tube alone - you would need to replace the air horn. I may have a spare air horn at home - give me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice Stromberg fiddler).
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »

I recently advertised a Stromberg, and then couldn't even give it away. It's a later model but may be compatible. I'll check tomorrow. If you want it you're welcome to the whole thing for nix.

Regards, Martyn
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »

Just checked my photos, air horn is different but the vent looks the same.
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »

funny, I have 2 bog stock carbies here that I am pulling apart and I happen to have 2 of what you want, but do u only need one? If you need one, consider it yours for nuttin and PM me with your address and I'll send it off tomoz. They are not bent and are in great condition.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 07:22:25 PM »

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »

Crumps,

If it's a single-barrel Strommie going cheap, I'm interested - send me a PM if so.

Sorry for the hijack Wayne.

Cheers,
Harv
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »

This one Harv !
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,22914.msg140203.html#msg140203

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »

Problem solved. Thanks to every one for their help.

Regards

Wayne b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: