FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 19, 2024, 03:53:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: given up for dead.... (and is half dead still)  (Read 5323 times)
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2003, 05:48:46 AM »

got my car back FINALLY!!!!  Shocked

good to have a rust free car, but i have to try to build up some enthusiasm again. don't seem to have any after the 6 months it has been gone. as i swapped the price of paint for rust work, i have a lot to do to tidy up the car and get it ready for paint. (hopefully by christmas)

i am sure i'll get back into it again now i finally have it back. i did not photograph the side that was damaged by the crazy old lady (because it was against the garage wall), but both doors are fully in high fill.

got push buttons for doors, new sills, shaved boot lock, all rust reapaired in rear beaver, front guards and where ever else it was hiding, guard seams filled, and other bits and bobs....

before...... Smiley

currently Sad

simon
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 09:03:49 AM »

:Dhi gree,talk about customised,it look's good  except the red wheel's man.maybe silver or chrome,i digg the push button handle's too.was the rust cut out or bogged up,because the rear windscreen is still in.no offence intended just concern for a good job as it was done by a tradesman. ;)cheer's,COL58FE. Cool
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 09:06:11 AM by dawry351 » Logged
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 11:48:20 AM »

Hey Simon.
Looking cool.
Regards
Alex

fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 12:31:29 PM »

love seeing modified fc's, you dont have any photos of how you did the push buton door handles , do you?
they would look good on the ute
craig
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 04:50:49 AM »

COL58fe:
i do usually run full hubcaps and rear skirts as you can see in the first photo - so the red wheel thing is a minimal ring around the outside of the hubcap....

the rear windshield area contained no rust at all, but i had an old arial hole filled there... thanks for the concern though

alex:
thanks! a lot to do though - i think i won't get time for another month and a half to even touch it.

fc_ute:
the door handles are a kit; pricey for what they are but i guess you are paying for the thinking behind them. they drove my panel beater absolutely nuts as they are VERY FIDDLY to install, you have to get the angles and the length of pushrods exactly right or nothing will work. ed told me how difficult they were to install after he put them in his wagon, so i got the panel beater to do it. he agreed, and installed them for me, but said that if anyone ever asked him to do it again, he'd charge them $1000 a door!! to his credit though, he did not charge me a cent more for all the extra work though i bet he wanted to! and they work well
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 04:57:10 AM by gree » Logged

simon
HARKO
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 08:54:31 AM »

Where did that come from Gree ,I thought wed almost lost you for a while there -,
Mate thats awesome - you should stick it on the road exactly the way it sits in that third photo , I can invision you coming down a busy Sydney street  at peak hour-making a statement is what its all about .
Great to see your back and keep in mind its cooler driving a doggy car that you know is rough than letting it sit in the shed for a long time because you want it perfect then loosing the enthusiasm ,selling it and missing out .
Cheers mate
fc_ute

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 11:34:17 AM »

simon, where did you get the kit from and how much are they?
craig
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 09:12:09 PM »

Nice one Simon!  Grin

in the shed
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 11:11:02 PM »

harko:
i will be driving it like this for a fair while. no choice really until i get two or three secnds to breathe let alone work on the car.

got to do a few things before i can drive it again.
• get a new battery because the last one died from not being used for so long
• put in all my central locking again (notice no locks on doors Tongue)
• tune up the engine - wouldn't idle on the way home
• work out the hidden boot release mechanism - the panel beater got the shits with it and didn't end up doing it - he gave me money for this though because he had promised to do it

fc_ute:
the kits are from smooth cruisin, paul kelly makes and sells them for around $45 each i think (been a long time). he's a nice guy and doesn't mind taking the time to give advice. i can't find his number right now. but he does visit this site, and probably wouldn't mind givng you more details...

simon
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 09:15:53 AM »

Gree Hope all goes well for you & that you are back on the road soon.

Regards
Mark

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 10:41:25 AM »

The kits youare talking about for the push buttons from Smooth cruisin are $45 for two buttons.. Ihave just istalled my second set into my EK Van for a streetmachine magazine article... They are a bit fiddly to install and I understand the frustration behind the panel beaters atempts at fitting them .They are a good kit and Pauls instructions are a bit technical to follow ...so I dont follow them. This alleviates some of the frustration... Especially if you dont trust your mathematics... Mine are lead wiped as the van is being displayed in bare steel . The process took 8 hours a side fully finished and they work wonderfully. I dont reccomemend this operation to those who have limeted welding skills and an understanding of panel beating. They can be stuffed up if you are not carefull. $1000 a side is a bit steep ... probably that price was quoted under duress. I would charge it at about $350 a side inclusive of materials but not inclusive of the kit. I added a drain tube to each of the last ones I installed... this consists of a small peice if steel vacum line from a six  cylinder motor, brazed onto the bottom of each one to let the water out of the push button recesses. Adding a rubber tube leading to a hole in the bottom of the door is also reccomended. Once you have installed one kit you will see the ways and means of installing the next... Cheers streetneat

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: